baggy

Thread: baggy

baggy

Can anyone give me some solid sensible advice?

I am coming up to my 50th birthday soon, and my girlfriend is saying she would like to get me a watch. She says she is willing to spend £1000 max
    which is great, but my friend joked that you cant buy a decent watch for under £2000!!?
    I cant believe this to be true? i have seen nice looking vintage watches around the grand mark [even the odd rolex] but i dont know if i want to go down that road, as i want a watch without the worry.
    my friend has a Stowa mo, but its just too big for my wrist![lovely watch though]
    any ideas?

Re: baggy

I think that the suggestion that you can't find a decent watch under £2,000 is a bit of a joke.

I think a good place to start would be to check out some watches which you think you'd like, or which have elements you like, regardless of price. Once you have an idea of your likes and dislikes, then narrow it down to a price range, much easier this way.

Are you looking for something for everyday wear? And have you tried any watches on to get a feel for the size? Stowa MO is 41mm, so if that's too big for you you may wish to aim for 38mm or so. If you like the MO, you can go for the Marine Automatic, which is a few millimeters smaller. The Antea might also be of interest.

Thinking along the same lines, Longines might be of interest. This automatic model is just under £1,000 I believe and comes on a bracelet if preferred:

Thanks for the suggestions, not sure about LONGINES they always appear to be a bit
    mutton dressed as lamb! [are you familiar with that expression?] or not quite what they aspire to be. Dont really want a sports watch,im more interested in classic styles.If i had the budget, my dream watch would be the j.l.c master control! i love those watches,love that company,but doubt if i will get one now.Anyway thats the style of watch i like.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think Longines is more mutton dressed as mutton, personally. Nonetheless they are one of the better value common brands, in my opinion.

If you like the JLC Master Control, frankly Longines would be my pick as the closest analogue in your price range. The Flagship range has similar hands and dagger markers. The Clous de Paris would also be a good pick. Ultimately though, if your aspirations are more about the brand than the watch itself, then you will not be able to buy a £3,000 brand with £1,000 I'm afraid =\

You could also try Baume et Mercier and Maurice Lacroix for similar looks. If you are willing to drop some money alongside your girlfriend, you could probably obtain a pre-owned Ultra-thin for £1,500-£2,000.

Here are some pics of my Longines Flagship (which I had modified with a blue second hand) and my JLC MC.

Here's a Longines Clous de Paris, 38mm:

Hey, thats not fair! what a great shot of your jlc, know what...im going to save up the extra and get one for myself, dont see why i should settle for second best, you are only 50 once right!

=P

Saving up in these uncertain times can't be a bad idea. If your gf still needs something for your 50th, my advice in these cases is to save the majority of the dough and get an exceptional pen. £300 could buy as nice a pen as one could want -- Graf von Faber and Yard o Led are my personal favorites.

You can buy an excellent watch for that kind of money. You can buy an excellent watch for much less as well - check out Orient Star's line of dress watches.
    Lots of dive watches.

Banned

Your friend is joking or doesn't know anything about watches.

Thread Information