Ball, Fortis or Oris?

View Poll Results: Ball, Fortis or Oris?

Voters
61. This poll is closed
  • Ball Engineer Master II DLC

16 26.23%
  • Ball Engineer Master II Aviator 44mm

6 9.84%
  • Ball Engineer Master II Aviator 46mm

5 8.20%
  • Fortis B-42 Flieger Day / Date ( Blue hands / White dial )

7 11.48%
  • Fortis B-42 Flieger Day / Date ( White hands / Black dial )

4 6.56%
  • Fortis B-42 Pilot Professional Day / Date

5 8.20%
  • Oris Big Crown Small Second, Pointer Day

20 32.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Ball, Fortis or Oris?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Ball, Fortis or Oris?

Hello fellow WUSers,

I'm looking at day date watches, and have shortlisted some models from the above brands.
    They should be in the same price range, at least that's what the salesman tells me, do correct me if they are not.

Here's the list:

Ball Engineer Master II DLC
    Ball Engineer Master II Aviator
    Fortis B-42 Flieger Day / Date (Favor the blue hands model)
    Fortis B-42 Pilot Professional Day / Date
    Oris Big Crown Small Second, Pointer Day

Any comments on the above choices will be good.
    Thanks in advance!

Re: Ball, Fortis or Oris?

Pics would help and allow us to compare. While I could search for them, I prolly won't. Of the brands you have listed I like Fortis' designs most.

Don't make me go Blackbelt on ya!
    Terry
    -------------------
    Breitling Navitimer 01 LE, Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish, Bathys Aquaculture black PVD, Seiko Sumo, Seiko Orange Monster, RXW MM20,
    RXW MM25, Chase-Durer conquest, Movado series 800 Diver, Movado Museum, Citizen Ecodrive chrono, Bulova Precisionist

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

I wouldn't pull the trigger on one of those.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

From what i have read all 3 are well respected brands for the price and it would be hard to choose between them on brand alone.
    I don't particularly like the models you have chosen, except perhaps the Fortis because i do like the blued hands on the Flieger, lovely looking watch.
    I like the Oris Big Crown designs, but would be reluctant to spend that much on a watch that doesn't have a sapphire crystal. I'd prefer the Oris Classic or Artelier models.
    Similarly, i'd prefer the Ball Master II Classic, because i'm not keen on the look of the tritium tubes on their models with arabic numerals. Love the look of the Classic though.
    Just my personal preferences!
    cheers

Picture Re: Ball, Fortis or Oris?

Quote Originally Posted by TxKarateDude View Post
    Pics would help and allow us to compare. While I could search for them, I prolly won't. Of the brands you have listed I like Fortis' designs most.
    Hi, this is my first post here; sorry that I might have made some mistakes, will link some images below.

Ball Engineer Master II DLC

Ball Engineer Master II Aviator 44mm

Ball Engineer Master II Aviator 46mm

Fortis B-42 Flieger Day / Date

Below are B-42 Pilot Professional and Oris Big Crown Small Seconds, Pointer Day:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by SolarIs; April 5th, 2010 at 14:50. Reason: Update URLs.

Question Re: Ball, Fortis or Oris?

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    I wouldn't pull the trigger on one of those.
    Hi, may I know what do you suggest for a day date watch around that tier or lower?
    Thank you very much.

Lightbulb Re: Ball, Fortis or Oris?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    From what i have read all 3 are well respected brands for the price and it would be hard to choose between them on brand alone.
    I don't particularly like the models you have chosen, except perhaps the Fortis because i do like the blued hands on the Flieger, lovely looking watch.
    I like the Oris Big Crown designs, but would be reluctant to spend that much on a watch that doesn't have a sapphire crystal. I'd prefer the Oris Classic or Artelier models.
    Similarly, i'd prefer the Ball Master II Classic, because i'm not keen on the look of the tritium tubes on their models with arabic numerals. Love the look of the Classic though.
    Just my personal preferences!
    cheers
    Thank you very much for your comments.
    I supposed you verified that they are at the same price range.

Ditto on the Fortis B-42 Flieger, the blue hands are really lovely.

Just to verify, the Oris website state that the Big Crown has top sapphire glass and a bottom mineral glass, is the website information wrong?

Are you referring to the Engineer Master II Classic, Engineer II Classic or Engineer Classic?
    Engineer Master II Classic and Engineer II Classic don't have any day function.
    Engineer Classic has day function and I like it too, but was told by the salesman that it's no longer available, I'll check out other retail outlets just to make sure.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by SolarIs; April 5th, 2010 at 14:52. Reason: Amended Ball paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarIs View Post
    I supposed you verified that they are at the same price range.

Ditto on the Fortis B-42 Flieger, the blue hands are really lovely.

Just to verify, the Oris website state that the Big Crown has top sapphire glass and a bottom mineral glass, is the website information wrong?

Are you referring to the Engineer Master II Classic, Engineer II Classic or Engineer Classic?
    Engineer Master II Classic and Engineer II Classic don't have any day function.
    Engineer Classic has day function and I like it too, but was told by the salesman that it's no longer available, I'll check out other retail outlets just to make sure.

Thanks again!
    Hi, no i didn't verify the prices, i'll leave that to you to confirm from a number of sources, but i suspect there wouldn't be a great deal between the Fortis & Balls, the Oris somewhat cheaper.

I was under the assumption that Oris Big Crowns did not have sapphire, i know some i have previously considered haven't. However if Oris states differently, then i guess i was wrong and i will certainly revisit them! Someone else might be able to confirm.

I was referring to the Engineer Master II Classic. It's my favourite Ball but you're right it has date function only. Quite a few other Ball's i like too, including the Aviator, just not keen on the models with arabic numerals.

I got my eyes on the Ball EMII DLC, so that's the one I voted. I think all 3 brands make good watches so it probably just comes down to styling preference. The only brand out of the three I own is an Oris, but the Oris Big Crown model you've posted is probably on the bottom of the list for me among the watches you've listed.
    Current Collection (reverse order of acquisition):
    BREITLING Galactic 41|PROMETHEUS Poseidon|BULOVA Moonwatch|SEIKO Tuna SBBN033|BREITLING SO Abyss|SEIKO Pepsi Turtle-X|GRUPPO GAMMA Vanguard|OMEGA PO 8500|ORIS BC4-DM|JEANRICHARD Terrascope|JEANRICHARD Aeroscope|PERPETUAL T-04|BENARUS Moray Vintage|PANERAI 560|LONGINES Heritage 1973|SWATCH Sistem 51|TUDOR Black Bay|BENARUS Moray 42|Ocean7 LM-7PVD|STOWA Antea KS|SEIKO GS SBGR051|G-Shock GS1050B|G-Shock GW7900RD-4|SEIKO SDGA001 EPD|PANERAI 312|BALL EMII DLC|BREITLING Airwolf (circa 2009)|BATHYS HAWAII AquaCulture Rose Ti|SEIKO Ananta SD GMT|BREITLING SuperOcean(circa 2007)|G-Shock Riseman|SEA-GULL M185SP|ORIS F1 Chrono '08

Smile Re: Ball, Fortis or Oris?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Hi, no i didn't verify the prices, i'll leave that to you to confirm from a number of sources, but i suspect there wouldn't be a great deal between the Fortis & Balls, the Oris somewhat cheaper.

I was under the assumption that Oris Big Crowns did not have sapphire, i know some i have previously considered haven't. However if Oris states differently, then i guess i was wrong and i will certainly revisit them! Someone else might be able to confirm.

I was referring to the Engineer Master II Classic. It's my favourite Ball but you're right it has date function only. Quite a few other Ball's i like too, including the Aviator, just not keen on the models with arabic numerals.
    Will take note of your advice as well as the Aviator again.
    Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information