Ball Trainmaster Legend vs. Seiko SARX033
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Ball Trainmaster Legend vs. Seiko SARX033

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ball Trainmaster Legend vs. Seiko SARX033

Hello everyone,

I need a little help deciding between the two watches in the title. Iíve lusted after the Seiko SARX033 for a while now but have been building my collection in other places before I was ready to make this purchase. I want a semi-dressy watch for wearing with my nicer day off wardrobe but not as dressy as my Tissot which I wear for more formal occasions. While cruising Jomashop I came across the Ball Trainmaster Legend for a price right around the same as the Seiko. I like the styling, itís got its own character, a cool history and helps diversify my collection brand wise (I can get complacent). Iím worried that in reality the quality of the Ball will not compare to the Seiko SARX033 which gets high praise for its casework and bracelet. Am I worried about nothing? I would appreciate some real world feedback on the Ball. Thank you in advance!
    Ball, Hamilton, Tag Heuer, Timex, Tissot, Seiko

Re: Ball Trainmaster Legend vs. Seiko SARX033

Personally I would say go for the Ball, I feel that it has more character to the watch than the Seiko. I have only seen a handful of people with Ball watches but I have heard nothing but good things about those timepieces. They have a good history in watchmaking and I am sure the movement would be on par with your tissot (that is if it is an automatic). Also you already have a seiko! I always suggest branching out as much as you can and experience the difference in as many brands.
    OMEGA Seamaster Aqua Terra PGA
    OMEGA Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon
    OMEGA Planet Ocean Chronograph
    OMEGA Constellation PiePan
    Hamilton PanEurop
    Hamilton Jazzmaster
    Tissot Visodate
    Squale 200 Atmos
    Rado LE Golden Horse
    Vintage Rolex Air-king
    Rolex Air-king
    Tudor Black Bay Steel
    Tudor Black Bay S&G
    Luminox Tough Viking

I own both Ball and Seiko watches, and I would cast my vote for the Ball. My Ball just exudes quality. And once you own a tritium lume watch, you'll want another. Want to tell time at 4:00 AM without turning on a light or pressing a button on your watch? Tritium!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

Ball all the way.
    Jumpingjalapeno likes this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I have never owned a ball watch, I know almost nothing about them so I can’t tell you which watch to get.

However, I do own the Seiko SARX033 so I can speak to that. It punches way above its weight. Put it this way, I’ve gone and looked at a GS Snowflake a few times, and I get it...better movement, Snowflake dial, titanium, etc....but having the Seiko SARX033, I’ve had a very hard time justifying the upgrade. The polishing on the sarx is just right, blued hands, subtle sunburst, ultra clear crystal, diasheild coating...it really is that good and the pics don’t do it justice. I would highly recommend one.

I think many here have experience with the Sarb065 or Sarb033/35, and base their opinion of the sarx on that, but it’s not really a fair comparison. I’ve had a sarb in the past and it’s not in the same league. Hope that helps some!

Quote Originally Posted by MissileExpert View Post
    I own both Ball and Seiko watches, and I would cast my vote for the Ball. My Ball just exudes quality. And once you own a tritium lume watch, you'll want another. Want to tell time at 4:00 AM without turning on a light or pressing a button on your watch? Tritium!

No tritium on the trainmaster legend...so OP won’t be telling time at 4am unfortunately. ;)
    Last edited by Silent; June 5th, 2018 at 02:58.
    • Seiko SARX033
    • Oris Aquis
    • Rolex Daytona 116500
    • Rolex Submariner 116610LN

Both are high quality watches. Have heard nothing but good things about Ball. However the date would kill the Trainmaster model you're looking at for me. (A nicely integrated window at 4:30 can be great but this one isn't centered between the hour markers and is way too close to the middle of the dial.) So in this case would choose Seiko, or maybe something similar from Hamilton, Montblanc, etc. Good luck! ...

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    ...I know almost nothing about them so I canít tell you which watch to get....No tritium on the trainmaster legend...so OP wonít be telling time at 4am unfortunately. ;)
    Well, at least the first of your two statements, above, is correct...

OP: Most folks would look at the quality issue the other way around--Ball first, Seiko second. I have owned many of both brands, and in NO way will Ball be inferior to the Seiko of the calibre you are considering.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought my father a Ball Fireman Ionosphere Chrongraph for his 65th birthday and retirement. He wore it all day everyday for 10 years and it held up great to all the abuse he could throw at it. Ive since inherited it and even though i would like to diversify the brands in my collection, I find myself look to Ball for a future purchase. Great build quality

Looking at images of these online, they are on par at the very least. I donít think the Ball looks like a step down at all.

It feels to me like comparing two different classes of watches. I would place the Ball a step above the SARX
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast