Ball vs Longines brands
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Ball vs Longines brands

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ball vs Longines brands

I've been on this site for a short time now and every day I see 5 brands that I never heard of.

But my question is, which brand, Ball or Longines has the most history and is more regarded by here?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Re: Ball vs Longines brands

Both are actually pretty similar in both history and regard. Ball started in 1891 and became synonymous with trains and such, while Longines was founded in 1832 and their hourglass logo is the worlds oldest trademark. It became a heavyweight in the Swiss watch world selling 35 million watches. That’s my input at least but what do I know?
    slcbbrown likes this.

Before being brought to the swatch group and until 1975, Longines was something of high quality after that it became just another ETA assembler. Their sales is mainly boosted due to their history but quality and movement wise they are not what they used to be. Ball, made of lot of innovation and introduced lately its first inhouse movement, it also one of the few brands proposing tritium dials which have been out of productions since 1997.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Both brands have a long and successful history. I have owned both, but prefer Ball since I like some of their more traditional style watches, such as in the Trainmaster and Fireman series, and I also like the tritium tubes. Longines makes an excellent watch as well--really depends on your taste of style, looks and so forth--can't go wrong with either--really shouldn't be an "either/or" question--both are capable of standing tall on their own merits.
    slcbbrown and rcsub like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbnice2000 View Post
    I've been on this site for a short time now and every day I see 5 brands that I never heard of.

But my question is, which brand, Ball or Longines has the most history and is more regarded by here?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    The question was "Most History" not personal preference. To the OP, most folks will give you their personal preference and sway their answer to their choice. but really Longines has quite a long history and at one point in time was one of the most respected watchmakers in the world. They are both well respected and on par with each other today but as far as history is concerned, well vintage Longines are especially collectible. The Longines 13ZN movement was the first ever flyback chronograph and they are highly sought after. Longines isn't the watch company is once was, they like Ball are more mid level luxury brands but at one time, Longines was thought of as very high end.

Ball is no slouch, but their history comes from the early american railroads. Webster Ball founded the company and he was a time inspector for the railroad. Crashes were almost common because of timing issues...ball stepped in and the rest is history. Today Ball's claim to fame is the tritium tubes.

Both are excellent watch companies, my personal preference for style is Ball, love the Engineer line. But Ball's history is no match for Longines.
    rcsub and JonS1967 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by coogan View Post
    The question was "Most History" not personal preference. To the OP, most folks will give you their personal preference and sway their answer to their choice. but really Longines has quite a long history and at one point in time was one of the most respected watchmakers in the world. They are both well respected and on par with each other today but as far as history is concerned, well vintage Longines are especially collectible. The Longines 13ZN movement was the first ever flyback chronograph and they are highly sought after. Longines isn't the watch company is once was, they like Ball are more mid level luxury brands but at one time, Longines was thought of as very high end.

Ball is no slouch, but their history comes from the early american railroads. Webster Ball founded the company and he was a time inspector for the railroad. Crashes were almost common because of timing issues...ball stepped in and the rest is history. Today Ball's claim to fame is the tritium tubes.

Both are excellent watch companies, my personal preference for style is Ball, love the Engineer line. But Ball's history is no match for Longines.
    Actually, the question was, "Most History" AND "More Regarded Here" (which of course speaks directly to "personal preference")--you quoted it yourself--thus, of course comments regarding both points are equally valid.
    rcsub likes this.

Longines-good

Ball-Better, IMHO.

Both offer great value, and a long brand history, so get what you like the best and enjoy it.
    rcsub and JonS1967 like this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Probably Longines by a whisker but as far as I’m concerned both brands are winners.

I own both brands and they are both solid choices. In the end, you are the one wearing it, so buy what you like and enjoy.

COSC standard is quite responsibly created by Ball.

If longines is taken over by some private investor with more vision which allow them continue their own in house movement and innovation. I bet they will be even the same level as Rolex today. Unfortunately, it's not and ruined by swatch.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information