Basic Battery Replacement Help

Thread: Basic Battery Replacement Help

So I have just got into collecting in the last few months and recently picked up a Sector Chrono from f29. It needs a new battery and I figure I would rather do it myself then take it to a shop.. I want to start getting more friendly with basic maintenance.

I was wondering what tools are needed to replace it? And where to order a replacement?

Thanks!
    Our daily bread.

Re: Basic Battery Replacement Help

Hi #21 --
    So really the only thing you'll absolutely need is a case back opening tool and a battery. If you got a manual, it should tell you the battery size that you need, which you can pick up at electronics, hardware, jewelry, or general stores. Or just search for it online.

Opening the caseback is not a big deal. If your caseback is screwdown (and looks like this), you'll need a caseback opening tool.

It's a two or three pronged device that you can adjust to fit in the notches of the caseback and then screw, carefully, open. Really the cheap ones on Amazon work just fine if you're careful and patient. But that said, a fine needle nosed pliers might also work fine. You will probably scratch the caseback (I know I have) but that's not a huge deal.

(If the caseback doesn't have these notches, you might need a case knife, or just a really thin, really strong kitchen knife, which would allow you to pop open the back of the case.)

Now, if you're really going to "do it up right," you might want to get a replacement gasket, some lubricant, and a pressure tester. :) But that's not really necessary, at least at this point in the watch's life.

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

Quote Originally Posted by Perdendosi View Post
    Hi #21 --
    So really the only thing you'll absolutely need is a case back opening tool and a battery. If you got a manual, it should tell you the battery size that you need, which you can pick up at electronics, hardware, jewelry, or general stores. Or just search for it online.

Opening the caseback is not a big deal. If your caseback is screwdown (and looks like this), you'll need a caseback opening tool.

It's a two or three pronged device that you can adjust to fit in the notches of the caseback and then screw, carefully, open. Really the cheap ones on Amazon work just fine if you're careful and patient. But that said, a fine needle nosed pliers might also work fine. You will probably scratch the caseback (I know I have) but that's not a huge deal.

(If the caseback doesn't have these notches, you might need a case knife, or just a really thin, really strong kitchen knife, which would allow you to pop open the back of the case.)

Now, if you're really going to "do it up right," you might want to get a replacement gasket, some lubricant, and a pressure tester. :) But that's not really necessary, at least at this point in the watch's life.
    Perdendosi,

Thanks so much for the info! Replacing the battery should be no problem. I have some nice plier sets and will pick up a case back remover..

As far as replacing the gasket, lubing, and pressure testing (sounds pricey) what's the best way to dive in? I have a decent budget but I get my other watches professionally serviced so I don't scratch anything. This chrono was $35 and I bought it for the straps. No worries if I gook it up.

Thanks

Nate
    Our daily bread.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Bear in mind that many quartz watches have backs which snap off fairly easily, but do not snap back on manually. With some you can line it up, press one edge into place, then press the opposite side to snap it closed. Rectangular or square ones will almost always close easily. But most quality round cases are made so that the back must be pressed into place with evenly applied pressure around the entire perimeter of the back. This requires a case press. Trying to snap a back on such a case can lead to damaging the back to the point that it cannot be installed.

If it doesn't snap closed easily, don't force it. You will need to take it to a watchmaker with a case press, or invest in one yourself. They come in a variety of quality levels. Avoid the plastic ones, they don't last. this is what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by HamiltonElectric View Post
    Bear in mind that many quartz watches have backs which snap off fairly easily, but do not snap back on manually. With some you can line it up, press one edge into place, then press the opposite side to snap it closed. Rectangular or square ones will almost always close easily. But most quality round cases are made so that the back must be pressed into place with evenly applied pressure around the entire perimeter of the back. This requires a case press. Trying to snap a back on such a case can lead to damaging the back to the point that it cannot be installed.

If it doesn't snap closed easily, don't force it. You will need to take it to a watchmaker with a case press, or invest in one yourself. They come in a variety of quality levels. Avoid the plastic ones, they don't last. this is what you need.
    I don't know if I should necessarily snag one of them.. Can you tell by the model number if I will need one?
    Our daily bread.

Thread Information