WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

A basic question about the Miyota 9015

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  ffritz 
#1 ·
Like the thread title reads, this is a basic question. I am not as familiar with the Miyota 9015 as I am with other movements. I know the 9015 is an automatic movement, and yes, I know automatic movements can be hand wound. However, some autos (like the ETA 2824-2) do not do well with too much handwinding. Is the Miyota 9015 equally good with both? That is to say, if I treated the 9015 like a handwind movement (letting it run down and winding it back up as needed) would it damage anything over time?

When handwinding the Miyota 9015, it feels much more solid that my ETA 2824-2. It reminds me of my ETA 2804-2, although it has less recoil, for lack of a better word. This signals to me that it is hardier than the 2824-2 when it comes to handwinding. But is it?

#4 · (Edited)
The miyo9015 movements have certainly felt much smoother to wind than 2824-2's. (I've had a couple of 9015 equipped watches, and at least two with 2824-2 one with basic grade, one with highest grade {forgot the name..). It's also a far more modern movement, so - logically - it should at the very least be as good as the eta.

I suspect that the smoother feel and lower feeling resistance means that the 9015 is more pliant to winding and takes less wear (because it does not feel as if you're "fighting" the gears, like in 2824-2). However, conjecture. The 9015 is simply not old enough for us to know any real statistical ratios of failures-from-winding.

Sidenote: from what I can tell, all miyota 9015 feel the same when you wind them, but depending on the watch, the crown stem can be more or less "wobbly" when in the winding position (unscrewed). All variations of the 2824-2 also (afaik) feel the same when winding, but the crown stem is more solidly "held" by the movement (or is that solely from case design...?). So regardless of what grade of 2824-2 you have in your watch, (imo) the comparison of winding feel between your 2824-2 & 9015 will be pretty much the same as everyone else's. (Meaning, we should not see any responses saying "wait, 9015 is really rough and 2824 is super smooth").

P.S. Once concern I might have with 9015 is that it feels almost too responsive. I.e. as you are winding, you can feel in the crown resistance when the mainspring is fully wound and starts to "skip" inside the barrel (overwinding protection method, to allow for self-winding rotors). As in, you can feel each tiny "jump" of the mainspring. I'm not sure if that's a good thing - feels like too much feedback passed onto the winding geartrain. Then again, maybe it's totally ok.

Wrt winding vs. shaking to start up... Isn't the concern about winding that it places more stress than needed on the movement? But then, if you're doing a macarena shake to your watch to "start it up" - and the way some folks talk about it, probably little attention is paid to carefulness - doesn't that also place more stress than needed on the movement? At least with winding, you can control the impulse of the acting force - with a rotor, it's all inertia (and possibly sharp motion changes resulting in pretty harsh "jarring/snapping").

#6 ·
Wrt winding vs. shaking to start up... Isn't the concern about winding that it places more stress than needed on the movement? But then, if you're doing a macarena shake to your watch to "start it up" - and the way some folks talk about it, probably little attention is paid to carefulness - doesn't that also place more stress than needed on the movement? At least with winding, you can control the impulse of the acting force - with a rotor, it's all inertia (and possibly sharp motion changes resulting in pretty harsh "jarring/snapping").
The problem with hand winding the 2824 is one specific gear that is made of a softer metal, while its brother in the hand winding 2801 has a hardened steel ring to transfer the torque from the crown. Eta just didn't construct the 2824 to be hand wound on a daily basis, while the automatic gear train is made for all sorts of shaking and wrist motion.

Never heard about any such problems on the 9015, so I happily wind my Miyotas a couple of turns more when I start them. The 2824s and SW200s just get a few gentle turns on the crown, then I let the automatic do its work.

#5 · (Edited)
Have 9 watches with the 9015 and have not had any issues handwinding them. It is definitely one of my favorite movements, along with the Soprod A-10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.