Voters
12. This poll is closed
  • Bathys 100 Fathoms Automatic

8 66.67%
  • Marathon GSAR

4 33.33%

Thread: Bathys 100 Fathoms vs. Marathon GSAR

Bathys 100 Fathoms vs. Marathon GSAR

So, I finally pulled the trigger on a Helson Shark Diver 42mm. Didn't click. So to make up for that purchase, I'm looking for something else. My two top choices:

Bathys 100 Fathoms Silver PVD/Ruthenium dial:

From Bathys:
    Specifications:
    • Size: 41.1 mm case diameter, 12.1 mm case height
    • Weight: 96 grams with strap
    • Movement: ETA-2824-2 25 or Sellita 26 jewel automatic running at 28’880 vph
    • Crystal: Domed sapphire with antireflection coating
    • Case: PVD coated with TiCN at 2 microns; engraved caseback; Hardness 3200 Vickers
    • Water Resistance: 200M (110 Fathoms, 660 feet)
    • Caseback: Screw down type, engraved
    • Crown: Screw down type, engraved
    • Strap: Comes standard on a waterproof 22mm leather strap with PVD-coated deployant clasp and a 22mm Rubber Divers strap with matching PVD-coated buckle
    • Packed in a black Pelican® 1030 waterproof Microcase
    • 2-year warranty from a US-based company
    • Impeccable Customer Service
    • Swiss-Made

Marathon GSAR:

From Countycomm:
    Rotor is engraved "Marathon Watch Co"
    Made by the Marathon Watch Company by contract to the Canadian and now the U.S. Government
    Movement: ETA 2824-A2
    Dial: measures 27.7mm and utilizes Tritium Gas Vials for Night Illumination
    Crystal: sapphire - 2.8mm thick x 30.50mm diameter
    Case: is cut from 316L stainless steel
    Case diameter is approximately 46.0mm
    Bezel diameter is 41.10mm, milled engraved and filled
    Case Height is 13.85mm
    20 mm lugs with drilled holes
    Crown: 6.5mm dia x 5.50mm long, deep knurled
    Weight of head 93.1 grams
    Rubber Strap is Swiss Made Natural Rubber (not to be confused with plastic or composite bands)
    Warranty: One year parts and labor (watch must have legible serial # and invoice)

Both watches are about $700 on strap (bracelet for the GSAR is currently $100 more, but since neither come on bracelet and I'm not really a bracelet guy, I'm not too concerned, though I like my Aquaracer on its bracelet). Now, what would be more desirable is the original SAR with luminous paint instead of tritium and no date magnifier, but the GSAR will do.

Don't worry about overlap with the current collection with the Marathon.

As you'll notice, both these watches are a bit smaller than what I normally wear. But big watches are still in! I'm just looking for something a little more understated this time around, something I can wear basically anywhere.

My pros and cons list is going to be different from all of yours, but I am being honest in saying that I don't know which one I want.

Which would you take if you had my collection of watches?
    Last edited by Raza; February 7th, 2012 at 17:50. Reason: Ask advice without making a sales post please.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Re: Which one should I buy next?

I'm holding back on voting for now until I see more feedback. Normally I'd pick the Bathys (at the very least it would make a great date watch ), but were the earlier threads regarding Bathys drop in customer service ever resolved or answered? If their CS is back up to previous standards (or if that one complaint thread was an isolated case), then I'd go with Bathys 100%. If not, then I'd probably go with the Marathon.
    Consolidation complete! Down from 17 watches to 2 grails + 3 support
    Rolex Seadweller 16600 / ALS Saxonia / Casio Edifice (travel) / Hamilton Intramatic (ultra-thin dress) / Kadloo Match Race (tool)

Re: Which one should I buy next?

Quote Originally Posted by LosTresGatos View Post
    I'm holding back on voting for now until I see more feedback. Normally I'd pick the Bathys (at the very least it would make a great date watch ), but were the earlier threads regarding Bathys drop in customer service ever resolved or answered? If their CS is back up to previous standards (or if that one complaint thread was an isolated case), then I'd go with Bathys 100%. If not, then I'd probably go with the Marathon.
    (Sorry to the mod staff, just thinking out loud)

I do recall the thread you're talking about, and I do believe the issue was resolved to the watch owner's satisfaction. I've been emailing back and forth with John from Bathys and he seems like a great guy, and they've changed their sales model back to online only.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Bathys 100 Fathoms vs. Marathon GSAR

I voted Bathys, having no experience with either company. Really like the dial (and wonder how it might look with white lume), and I think there's more bang for the buck with the domed, anti-reflective sapphire, PVD (3200 vickers is nice), waterproof leather strap, warranty, etc. The case is nice and simple and I think overall the watch is more versatile, even though it's a diver.

I prefer the Bathys. I have owned a black 100 Fathoms Quartz as a beater and it has been great. PVD finish still in great shape and keeps time well; though it should... it is quartz. The Bathys has a more unique look than the GSAR. Plus that Ruthy dial is quite nice. I sometimes wish I would have went with the normal instead of black PVD case and a Ruthenium dial, but I am still happy. It reminds me of Hawaii... good times. Good luck in choosing!

I've had both....several times. I just snagged a PVD 100F and am wearing it now. Honestly, the Bathys has a more relaxed vibe. And it's fun. The silver one looks great on a bunch of straps. 22mm is a sweet spot.

The GSAR has that busy mil-spec look, which is awesome, and is auto. The tubes are awesome. But it's a tall look. The Bathys looks bigger without the bezel.

Wish I could help, but I'd go with your gut. Both are great watches. ;)
    I like watches.

I voted Bathys. I have a 100F Aquaculture with black lip pearl dial that is great looking and unique. The 2892-A2 keeps very good time and the lack of timing bezel makes the dial look larger and the lume is great also. Check out he Bathys Facebook page if you get time.

Don't make me go Blackbelt on ya!
    Terry
    -------------------
    Breitling Navitimer 01 LE, Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish, Bathys Aquaculture black PVD, Seiko Sumo, Seiko Orange Monster, RXW MM20,
    RXW MM25, Chase-Durer conquest, Movado series 800 Diver, Movado Museum, Citizen Ecodrive chrono, Bulova Precisionist

Bathys For all purpose watch. Both are great choices, and I have owned both. Haliewa was my first shark cage experience with my Bathys. So leaning Bathys....

I think I'm going to wait for Silver PVD Aquaculture, as that's the one I really want. And I just emptied my slush on the new Magrette chronograph.

My wrists are pretty small so the Marathon wouldn't even be on my radar. It looks nice and chunky though.

However the Bathys seems pretty versatile, covering all manner of casual settings, possibly even business casual at work. That would be my pick.

Thread Information