Baume et Mercier Thoughts?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Baume et Mercier Thoughts?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Baume et Mercier Thoughts?

I wanted to get some feedback from the forum on where the quality of these watches rank in your opinion among other more well known brands such as TAG, Omega, etc. I am specifically looking at the discontinued Riviera chrono model but wanted to know what other's thoughts about the quality of the brand are compared to the big names since there isn't a ton of discussion out there about B et M. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Re: Baume et Mercier Thoughts?

Do a search, there's a least 2 tons.

general consensus is that they are more fashion oriented company using generic ETA movements, somewhat overpriced, filling the segment between affordables (Hamilton) and entry level luxury (Tag). I suggest you spend a bit more and get a Tag, or move into something more established like Omega, both of which are a league above Baume et Mercier.
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Agree with above. They can't touch omega, in my opinion. TAG never knocks me out either, but at least non-watch folks think they are great watches, if that means anything to you.

I think Baume's Capeland Lind is nice looking, but there are lot of less expensive, better watches that look good too.
    Ω 3570.50, Ω SM300, Ω 3221.30, Ω 2538.20.00, Ω 186.010, Ω 176.012,
    Ω 198.005, Ω 135.011

B&M are decent entry level luxury watches with stock ETA movements that you will find in almost all watches in the $1000-$3000 range. Quality wise, it's on par with a Tag. Also, and most importantly, Baumes don't have the "douche-bag" stigma that Tags have.
    Icabod14 likes this.

I'm not a part of that 'consensus'.
    Quote Originally Posted by ed21x View Post
    general consensus is that they are more fashion oriented company using generic ETA movements, somewhat overpriced, filling the segment between affordables (Hamilton) and entry level luxury (Tag). I suggest you spend a bit more and get a Tag, or move into something more established like Omega, both of which are a league above Baume et Mercier.
    Last edited by Watchbreath; September 2nd, 2011 at 01:39.
    various121 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    I'm not a part this 'consensus'.
    Me either.
    various121 likes this.
    Regards Cam

if you sincerely care about the quality of the baume brand relative to omega and tag, then i suggest you take a visit to an ad and handle them. i think you will be surprised when you do. i have handled a riviera and found it to be an impressive piece.

good luck.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

I have actually handled them a few times at the Local AD and I must say that I was very impressed, especially with the Riviera chrono (non diver) and the Classima Executive Chrono. However, the salesperson there said that they would rate them on the same level as a Reymond Weil (nothing against RW) but this did surprise me. I have a TAG now and I thought that the BMs were significantly nicer than my TAG. However, I have gotten a wide range of opinions about the brand so I wanted to see what other WIS thought about it. Obviously I will have to make up my own mind one way or another but I am one of those analytic types so I like to have as much info as possible before making a decision. Also, one of my biggest problems with my TAG is that everywhere I go I see someone else wearing one and I can honestly say that I have never seen someone else with a BM on in the wild. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    I'm not a part this 'consensus'.
    +1

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information