Hi, I'm looking to buy my first "serious" watch and have been doing some research the last couple of weeks. I think I've narrowed down my choices to the 2 below:
Baume & Mercier Classima 8592 - ~ $1,300 (http://www.amazon.com/Baume-Mercier-...71918&sr=1-322)
Perrelet Seacraft Chrono - ~ $1,600 (Perrelet Diver A1054-A Men's Watch)
I'm not a collector - just looking for a watch that I can wear every day for many years to come. My questions are below.
- It appears that the Perrelet has more features (chrono, water resistance) / better finish / more complicated movement for almost the same money. Am I getting "more watch" for the money with the Perrelet?
- It looks like the Perrelet Seacraft has been discontinued (no longer listed on the Perrelet website). Will I have trouble getting parts for this watch some time down the line if it needs to be repaired? In general, should I be worried about anything else with a watch model that has been discontinued?
- I've been reading up on the 2 companies and one (Baume) has been around since the 1830s, while the other has been around for a little more than 20 years. Does that have any impact on the quality of their product or anything else I should be thinking about? My uneducated opinion is no, but I welcome your feedback on this.
- Based on my research, the re-sale value for both is pretty low. Would one have higher re-sale value than the other or are they equally low? I don't see myself ever selling this watch, but it's still nice to know if it has some value.
- Would it cost significantly more to have one watch serviced vs the other? The Baume has a standard ETA movement while the Perrelet uses a P-271 movement and is a chrono. I would most likely be using someone locally, not sending it to the company. Is the Perrelet a lot more difficult to have serviced?
I'm completely new to this so please let me know if there's something else I should be considering in my decision that I totally missed.
In general, my budget is $1,000 - $2,000. I'm looking to buy a new watch that I can wear every day. Are there any other watches similar in style to the 2 above I should be looking at that you feel may be better options?