Baume & Mercier Classima vs Perrelet Seacraft Chrono

Thread: Baume & Mercier Classima vs Perrelet Seacraft Chrono

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Baume & Mercier Classima vs Perrelet Seacraft Chrono

Hi, I'm looking to buy my first "serious" watch and have been doing some research the last couple of weeks. I think I've narrowed down my choices to the 2 below:

Baume & Mercier Classima 8592 - ~ $1,300 (http://www.amazon.com/Baume-Mercier-...71918&sr=1-322)

Perrelet Seacraft Chrono - ~ $1,600 (Perrelet Diver A1054-A Men's Watch)

I'm not a collector - just looking for a watch that I can wear every day for many years to come. My questions are below.

• It appears that the Perrelet has more features (chrono, water resistance) / better finish / more complicated movement for almost the same money. Am I getting "more watch" for the money with the Perrelet?
    • It looks like the Perrelet Seacraft has been discontinued (no longer listed on the Perrelet website). Will I have trouble getting parts for this watch some time down the line if it needs to be repaired? In general, should I be worried about anything else with a watch model that has been discontinued?
    • I've been reading up on the 2 companies and one (Baume) has been around since the 1830s, while the other has been around for a little more than 20 years. Does that have any impact on the quality of their product or anything else I should be thinking about? My uneducated opinion is no, but I welcome your feedback on this.
    • Based on my research, the re-sale value for both is pretty low. Would one have higher re-sale value than the other or are they equally low? I don't see myself ever selling this watch, but it's still nice to know if it has some value.
    • Would it cost significantly more to have one watch serviced vs the other? The Baume has a standard ETA movement while the Perrelet uses a P-271 movement and is a chrono. I would most likely be using someone locally, not sending it to the company. Is the Perrelet a lot more difficult to have serviced?

I'm completely new to this so please let me know if there's something else I should be considering in my decision that I totally missed.

In general, my budget is $1,000 - $2,000. I'm looking to buy a new watch that I can wear every day. Are there any other watches similar in style to the 2 above I should be looking at that you feel may be better options?
    Last edited by fl96; June 22nd, 2014 at 18:20.

Re: Baume & Mercier Classima vs Perrelet Seacraft Chrono

Hi, the Perrelet is a much better deal then the baume!! They have been blowing out the seacraft line on the internet but they shouldn't and you will get much more then you paid for it in value! Servicing the perrelet will be more because it is a chronograph which will always be more. The soprod movement is not any harder to service then an eta though, just make sure you find a good watchmaker to take care of it for you. Don't even think about this, do the perrelet!!! Also the metal bracelet the perrelet comes with is incredible, has a ratcheting extension that you press a big perrelet symbol to activate lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Last edited by Greek6486; June 22nd, 2014 at 18:30.

Welcome!

2 different watches. To answer your specific questions:

• It appears that the Perrelet has more features (chrono, water resistance) / better finish / more complicated movement for almost the same money. Am I getting "more watch" for the money with the Perrelet? Yes. Though...it doesn't work like that. You just buy whichever you prefer.
    • It looks like the Perrelet Seacraft has been discontinued (no longer listed on the Perrelet website). Will I have trouble getting parts for this watch some time down the line if it needs to be repaired? In general, should I be worried about anything else with a watch model that has been discontinued? The movement is a Soprod 2021 - I don't know how many have been produced but almost certainly not as many as the alternative and ubiquitous ETA 7750 chrono movement, or the ETA in the B&M.
    • I've been reading up on the 2 companies and one (Baume) has been around since the 1830s, while the other has been around for a little more than 20 years. Does that have any impact on the quality of their product or anything else I should be thinking about? My uneducated opinion is no, but I welcome your feedback on this. Nah - don't worry about that.
    • Based on my research, the re-sale value for both is pretty low. Would one have higher re-sale value than the other or are they equally low? I don't see myself ever selling this watch, but it's still nice to know if it has some value. Check completed ebay sales for the models. Buying preowned isn't a terrible idea.
    • Would it cost significantly more to have one watch serviced vs the other? The Baume has a standard ETA movement while the Perrelet uses a P-271 movement and is a chrono. I would most likely be using someone locally, not sending it to the company. Is the Perrelet a lot more difficult to have serviced? I guess the B&M could be serviced for maybe £150 locally; the chrono perhaps more like £350. Guestimates; many variables.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I own a very similar BM and love it because its very thin (just 10mm) and fits under most dress shirts I own. So if I have to dress up, I can still wear a watch without my shirt bunching up above it. But while I like the BM, I really don't consider it a watch I could wear every day, it's too formal, too thin, too simple.

The other thing is size. BM is 42mm wide and 10mm thick, the Perrelet is 45mm wide and 18mm thick. That's a big difference, and depending on your wrist size, will make you either love or hate the watch.

My suggestion is to do some reading and learn about movements and complications and then go try on some watches at a local dealer. Then and only then, once you have a better idea for size and features, do some research on this forum and sites like wornandwound.com to find the perfect watch for you that has the specs you want.
    --

The Perrelet is a great watch for the money right now on the grey market, just be aware its a large watch, at 45mm on a bracelet just make sure thats what your looking for in an everyday piece

Two completely different types of watch: Nonetheless, that is the plainest looking Classima model - there are much more interesting ones. I own several B&M watches and fit/finish is superb - don't have any Perrelet, but did check some out recently in Dubai - also very nicely finished watches; I would put the equal on those terms. However, the 'since 1777' stuff bothers me with Perrelet - lots of brands embellish on the history, but for me, Perrelet takes it a tad too far.

How do you dress for work? If semi-dressy,office work,shirt tie the B&M...If you work installing cable, driving a big rig, the Perrelet.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Thanks for your feedback everyone - much appreciated.

I've tried on the B&M and liked the way it fit. The Perrelet has been much harder to find in person - I'll keep looking or will try a similar sized watch to make sure it's not too large.

"Every day" for me is sitting in an office in front of a computer. I've seen people wearing diver watches with a dress shirt. Is that type of thing usually frowned upon?

Quote Originally Posted by fl96 View Post
    "Every day" for me is sitting in an office in front of a computer. I've seen people wearing diver watches with a dress shirt. Is that type of thing usually frowned upon?
    Nope - perfectly normal

B&M

Simple 3 hander >>> Chrono

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information