Baume & Mercier - plz help :(

Thread: Baume & Mercier - plz help :(

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Baume & Mercier - plz help :(

Hi all,

Background: I am trying to purchase my first "grownup" watch. I'd like a classic look (not sports) and Swiss mechanical (preferably automatic). I started with Tissot because they're cheaper but they're too sporty for my taste. I came accros Baume & Mercier. I've searched this forum but I still have some noob questions below :-

Note: both watches (8592 and 8591) are priced same at amazon.com (sold and shipped by amazon, not third part). I trust Amazon.

Questions:
    1. Should I trust Amazon, or should I stick with AD?
    2. As far as I can tell, the only difference between two watches is chrono. But why are they priced same? Are there other details I am missing?
    2.5 - Which ones of these two would you recommend?
    3. There's a two-hand model that's $400 cheaper. Are there other differences, other than the missing second hand and no date? I prefer date though, but I am just curious.
    4. How is BM as a brand? Being a noob, I knew about Tissots and Tags and usual (Omega, Rolex etc), but not B&M. That doesn't bother me, as long as it's a good brand and a good watch.
    5. I've only had cheap quartz watches so far (my current one is a 15 year old Casio, but it does have leather strap and chrono [I do change leather strap every year]). Are mechanical high maintenance?
    6. Is alligator strap (both watches in the picture have them) 'better' and last longer?
    7. Any other brand / models I should look at that look similar and in a sub $1500 price range froma trusted retailer (like Amazon)?

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by uwbrother; November 28th, 2010 at 16:37.

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Re: Baume & Mercier - plz help :(

I like the questions in most part and the post does have pictures which is even better coming from new poster (welcome to WUS, by the way).
    You have clearly done his homework.

1. Amazon is NOT an AD, which is why they are able to offer/advertise much lower than MSRP. Which comes at a cost, it means that your watch is NOT covered by manufacturer's warranty, but rather by designated watchmaker by Amazon. What does it mean? That means, that if you have an issue with your watch and your watch is bought from an AD, you can take the watch to ANY AD of your choice and B&M will make it right to you within warranty period. What does that mean? It means different things to many people and it is worth different $$ to many people. It is up to you to decide. Take the Amazon's price to your local AD, ask them how close can they come down to. You may be pleasantly surprised at the negotiation room these guys have. Now, if you plan to re-sell your watch down the line, getting from an AD does carry slight premium over the watch bought from Amazon even if they are out of warranty.

2. I am not familiar with the models at hand, so I can not answer that question. Sorry

2.5 I like the 3 hand model, but if you like the chrono face, then at same price, I suppose it is a better buy. However, for a watch that you do not plan to resell, "better buy" is a moot point, which one do you like more? get that one especially since they are same price. (However, getting chronograph serviced is MUCH more expensive - upwards of $350-400 is typical prices charged by reputable watch makers)

3. Many people can not live without date many people can not live without second hand especially on an Auto since it isn't easy to tell whether the watch has stopped running or not. For me it does not matter since I have other watches that I can quickly compare to before wearing it. How about you? can YOU live without date?

4. Not much to say, they seems to be of more historical brand compared with new comers. Many people rate them slightly higher than Longines as in putting in ETA movements into nice casings.

5. Higher in both mentally as well as to your pocket books. As mechanicals are not really that accurate, you will be adjusting them more often, also if you do not have a winder, you would be either wearing it all the time, or you will be shaking/manually winding more and since both watches looks a bit dressy, I am assuming it isn't going to be your daily wear? The watches also needs to be maintained and it will be more expensive than you would like. Local guy will probably charge between $75-$150 for "overhaul" of the watch which meaning differs for every watch makers and B&M will probably charge around $200-$300 for the servicing of the watch if you take them. (Thus many people just wear the watch until something goes wrong to bring it in for service, which may be upwards of 10 years or so for some people). See my answer regarding chrono above.

6. Don't know to be honest with ya in terms of durability of Croc/Gator straps vs. regular leather straps. There are many strap sellers which sells reasonably priced straps. If you feel that you will be reselling the watch later, maybe you should use third party straps (they are quite nice) and keep the OEM straps (which tend to be VERY expensive) in good condition. If you are thinking of keeping the watch for long haul, it does not matter IMHO. Just get your self a nice strap when current strap becomes unwearable.

7. Hamilton Jazzmaster series is nice looking watch but cheaper, Longines master collection probably is on par IMHO.
    Name:  41kweD5WM7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 3327
Size:  13.7 KB
    I do not think you can get Chrono for under $1500 though.
    Last edited by hpark21; November 28th, 2010 at 17:43.
    Chronic flipper...

Note: both watches (8592 and 8591) are priced same at amazon.com (sold and shipped by amazon, not third part). I trust Amazon.

There are other good grey sources out there.

Questions:

Thats totally your call. AD youll have warranty, support, and possible relationship that you can build as time goes on. You can ask a AD for a discount dont be afraid. Amazon or any other grey market the warranty is a dice roll. The advantage is the price savings.

2.5 - Which ones of these two would you recommend? The one you like best

4. How is BM as a brand? Being a noob, I knew about Tissots and Tags and usual (Omega, Rolex etc), but not B&M. That doesn't bother me, as long as it's a good brand and a good watch.

I like a B&M I never own one but will if the right watch came along at the right price. My suggestion is dont buy a brand buy a quality watch you like.

5. I've only had cheap quartz watches so far (my current one is a 15 year old Casio, but it does have leather strap and chrono [I do change leather strap every year]). Are mechanical high maintenance?

Mechanical needs to be services and servicing chrono is more expensive that nonchrono

7. Any other brand / models I should look at that look similar and in a sub $1500 price range froma trusted retailer (like Amazon)?

use the search function here this type of question been asked almost weekly. Also you can check out the sales forum
    Thank you so much![/QUOTE]
    Dee & Ricky G-shock, Dornbluth 99.1 IWC Big Pilot, Selvin, JLC Memovox, Omega Speedy Pro, Vintage Seamaster,PAM 243 Rolex 1675, 16600, 16610, 16610LV, 114300, Slava Big Zero, Tudor Snowflake Vostok 2013 WUS Amphibia

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome aboard~The 8591 is a chrono version, most likely a Valjoux 7750 configuration of some sort, and the retail is about $1800. The 8592 version is most likely an ETA 28XX series of movement, and retails for about $1300. The difference between the two models is roughly $500, hence an upgrade from an automatic/mechanical to an automatic/chronograph. So far as Amazon is concerned, they're a large distributor that stand behind their products, accepts returns/exchanges, and free shipping to boot! Baume and Mercier as a brand is as good as any other brand in its category and pricepoint, bar none, cheers!

Thanks everyone. It's my first major watch purchase. You have no idea how much I appreciate you all taking your time out to answer my noob questions. It clarified things for me a lot.

I went to the local AD and tried a lot of watches. I am leaning towards the non-chrono version since it seems cleaner and timeless, though I must admit B&M did a remarkable job doing chrono very cleanly (while keeping the classic look and feel). My local AD did not have the chrono version so I couldn't compare them together.

I know there are other reputable grey market retailers out there, but I've had a decade long relationship with amazon and I've tried their servicing and return policy many times. Due to the price difference (I live in Canada, aftertax prices here are much higher), I figured even if I have to pay for servicing the watch myself when it should've been under warranty, I'd still come out ahead. Amazon does have its own 2 year warranty and my credit card adds another year to the warranty, so that gives me three years.

If you can think of other questions I forgot to ask then please do educate me. I've narrowed my choices to these two and I will get one of these, just dont know which one yet :). I am so glad I discovered this forum.

I agree that the 8591 is a more classic and cleaner look (... and I personally find it more attractive).
    The chronograph is considered more "sport" which for me is a strange concept in a dress watch.

I got a B&M Capeland Chrono 9 years ago as my first good watch to remember my first job. I can tell you, it still getting wrist time after 9 years of watch collecting. The quality is there, and it shows. So don't be afraid, I know that in 9-10 years you would look at it and say, wow, what a nice watch I got. I know I do.

I really like the B&M line and would buy one if I found one I liked at a good price. Out of the two you have posted I prefer the non-chrono, much cleaner and classier looking IMO.

Here is another choice to consider (all from Amazon):

Longines La Grande Classique Presence ($750)

1. When you can get 50% off from amazon, I would not consider buying from an AD;

2. I don't think you're missing any details. Have you considered the 8462? It's very similar to the 8592 but with GMT and less expensive from some grey market dealers;

3. Not aware of any other differences;

4. I think the finish and design of the B&M Classima line are excellent;

5. Yes, much higher maintenance and much less reliable and less accurate than quartz;

6. I believe those watches have a croco grain leather strap. I own the 8591, and it does not have a genuine croc strap. It is leather;

7. Hamilton Slim;

Quote Originally Posted by uwbrother View Post
    Hi all,

Background: I am trying to purchase my first "grownup" watch. I'd like a classic look (not sports) and Swiss mechanical (preferably automatic). I started with Tissot because they're cheaper but they're too sporty for my taste. I came accros Baume & Mercier. I've searched this forum but I still have some noob questions below :-

Questions:
    2. As far as I can tell, the only difference between two watches is chrono. But why are they priced same? Are there other details I am missing?
    2.5 - Which ones of these two would you recommend?
    3. There's a two-hand model that's $400 cheaper. Are there other differences, other than the missing second hand and no date? I prefer date though, but I am just curious.
    6. Is alligator strap (both watches in the picture have them) 'better' and last longer?

Thank you so much!

Exclusively chronographs with rotating bezel and date.
    ______
    Breitling Heritage Chrono Rose Gold 46mm
    Breitling for ​Bentley Supersports Light Body
    Breitling Navitimer 50th Anniversary
    Breitling Montbrillant Datora
    Breitling Avenger Skyland GreySteel Mod
    Tutima Flieger Chronograph F2 UTC Mod
    U-Boat U-42 Chrono 47mm
    Damasko DC66 Black
    Damasko DC67 Black
    Sinn 757
    Sinn 900 Flieger
    Sinn 900 S Black Flieger
    Glycine Lagunare Chrono L1000
    Victorinox Alpnach Auto Chrono 1st Gen
    Victorinox Divemaster 500 Chrono Black
    Victorinox Divemaster 500 Chrono Orange
    Hamilton X-Wind Black PVD Rose Gold
    Hamilton X-Wind Mod
    Hamilton Flight Timer
    CX Swiss Military Navy Diver Red
    CX Swiss Military Navy Diver Black

Thank you so much guys, keep it coming.

I saw the Longines La Grande Classique Presence one, but it's sold by a third party, not Amazon. I wanted to restrict myself to watches sold directly by Amazon (first timer, ya know).

This one looked strange in pictures but looks very classy in person. Red isn't as bright, it's more brownish reddish and the watch doesn't look busy in person (in picture it did). I am leaning towards it now :-

Even the chrono did not look as busy (or sporty), but I am worried that I may grow out of the chrono. Once I have a classy looking dress watch I'll get a sporty chrono (eventually). For now it's either the GMT one above or the plain old non-chrono one in my original post.

Decision, decision ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information