Background: I am trying to purchase my first "grownup" watch. I'd like a classic look (not sports) and Swiss mechanical (preferably automatic). I started with Tissot because they're cheaper but they're too sporty for my taste. I came accros Baume & Mercier. I've searched this forum but I still have some noob questions below :-
Note: both watches (8592 and 8591) are priced same at amazon.com (sold and shipped by amazon, not third part). I trust Amazon.
1. Should I trust Amazon, or should I stick with AD?
2. As far as I can tell, the only difference between two watches is chrono. But why are they priced same? Are there other details I am missing?
2.5 - Which ones of these two would you recommend?
3. There's a two-hand model that's $400 cheaper. Are there other differences, other than the missing second hand and no date? I prefer date though, but I am just curious.
4. How is BM as a brand? Being a noob, I knew about Tissots and Tags and usual (Omega, Rolex etc), but not B&M. That doesn't bother me, as long as it's a good brand and a good watch.
5. I've only had cheap quartz watches so far (my current one is a 15 year old Casio, but it does have leather strap and chrono [I do change leather strap every year]). Are mechanical high maintenance?
6. Is alligator strap (both watches in the picture have them) 'better' and last longer?
7. Any other brand / models I should look at that look similar and in a sub $1500 price range froma trusted retailer (like Amazon)?
Thank you so much!