Bead Blasted?

Thread: Bead Blasted?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bead Blasted?

Could anyone explain me what does bead blasted is?... I can see it on the pics, but what does it really is?... and besides the looks of the watch, what is it for?

Thanks again

Re: Bead Blasted?

As the name suggest it is when the case is literally blasted by small beads (usually glass) at high pressure/speed.
    It gives the watch a matt, usually greyish, appearance and is often found in military style watches where a low light reflectance is a requirement.

stuffler,mike

Here is the bead blasting processed:

For more pics and a report on Damasko watches: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=64554

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gothian View Post
    Could anyone explain me what does bead blasted is?... I can see it on the pics, but what does it really is?... and besides the looks of the watch, what is it for?

Thanks again
    Beadblasting also slightly alters the structure of the metal surface making it slightly harder as well..

Regards
    Carl

Omega Speedie Automatic
    Marcello C Nettuno 3
    Precista Titan Commander
    MM Hommage

FlickR -
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/macrobubbles
    Website- http://amazing-macros.co.uk

How does the bead blasted finish hold up? Does it scratch and wear easily? It looks impossible to repair minor blemishes like you can with polished or brushed.
    Dennis

V8

Quote Originally Posted by dennisp5 View Post
    How does the bead blasted finish hold up? Does it scratch and wear easily? It looks impossible to repair minor blemishes like you can with polished or brushed.
    Dennis

Bead blasting holds up better than a polished or brushed finish IMHO, a blasted watch hides desk diving marks very good.

A polished finish just shows everything, even fingerprints. Any scratches on a brushed finish that aren't in the direction of the grain also stand out. Blasted finishes are matte so you can't see fingerprints, and scratches in any direction don't readily stand out. This is not to say you can't see any desk diving marks but they just aren't that pronounced.

Repairing blemishes is as easy as blasting the watch again, no different than repolishing or rebrushing.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Can the blasting be done in home environment? (Cheap solution, that is under $100 setup)

Polishing can be done via dremel and some polishing agent (or done by hand - takes a while + cape cod cloth)

Brushing can be done via scratch tools (heck if you are adventurous, you can try using the scotchbrite)

But can bead blasting be done cheaply as well?
    (No, I do not plan to put my watch in rock tumbler with sand. :) )
    Chronic flipper...

I prefer a beadbasted finish for my watches because they aren't shiny and don't attract attention. Never was into the polished bling-bling thing. It is true though, that it is easy to refinish a polish or brushed surface at home, but hard to do so with a bb finish.
    Lots of dive watches.

I just had a watch bead blasted and it looks great--it was polished before. It gives the case and bracelet a very attractive, modern satin finish. And it's not too expensive relatively speaking. Jack Alexyon over at IWW did mine and he's recommended by many people on this board.

I had my Seiko Black Monster blasted by Duarte at NEWW and I think it looks sweet! It takes all the "bling" out of the watch and gives it a tough, no-nonsense tool look.

matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information