Bead Blasting - matching the perfect finish?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lord Monocle

Thread: Bead Blasting - matching the perfect finish?

Bead Blasting - matching the perfect finish?

Evening all,
    Does anyone know if itís possible to match a bead blastedfinish? I have a Halios Bluering and would like to get a Shark Mesh for it,however the bead blasting seems it could be an issue. Depending on the materialused to do the work, would the finish color come out differently? Iíve emaileda few MOD companies and got a mix of answers Ė some say everything has to bedone at once to have the finish be the same, others say it doesnít matter.
    Thoughts/experience?

As always, appreciated

Re: Bead Blasting - matching the perfect finish?

Quote Originally Posted by pacostagli View Post
    Evening all,
    Does anyone know if it’s possible to match a bead blastedfinish? I have a Halios Bluering and would like to get a Shark Mesh for it,however the bead blasting seems it could be an issue. Depending on the materialused to do the work, would the finish color come out differently? I’ve emaileda few MOD companies and got a mix of answers – some say everything has to bedone at once to have the finish be the same, others say it doesn’t matter.
    Thoughts/experience?

As always, appreciated
    Bill Yao told me when I was waiting on a MKII that he needed to do the bracelet and case at the same time, and I trust his experience and judgment. A couple of years later I got a strap from him and he blasted the buckle for me and sure enough despite it being the same material as the case it did not quite match. It wasn't jarring or anything, but it wasn't a perfect match.

Think about this though: Your Halios has wide, blank expanses of slightly curved steel on the case. When you view it you're viewing a large piece of the case at one angle, and light is hitting it the same way. A shark mesh bracelet is a bunch of little pieces. You're seeing it at a bunch of different angles at once depending on what you're looking at. Light's doing the same thing. Scattering all over the place. Bottom line: A shark mesh bracelet is never going to exactly match your watch. Relax.
    BrentYYC likes this.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Monocle View Post
    Think about this though: Your Halios has wide, blank expanses of slightly curved steel on the case. When you view it you're viewing a large piece of the case at one angle, and light is hitting it the same way. A shark mesh bracelet is a bunch of little pieces. You're seeing it at a bunch of different angles at once depending on what you're looking at. Light's doing the same thing. Scattering all over the place. Bottom line: A shark mesh bracelet is never going to exactly match your watch. Relax.
    Excellent advice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thatís an excellent perspective on it, I had not thoughtabout that. Thank you for the reply Lord Monocle!

Never tried it myself, but I'd guess you need the same grade of steel and the same size beads.