Beater recommendations/water resistance question - Page 2
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Beater recommendations/water resistance question

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Beater recommendations/water resistance question

Plenty of nonsense heard from this thread. 3 bar are good enough for swimming. But vostok watch are not high reputable for their QC so it's matter of reputation about their QC rather than the spec.

A watch need not bring to deep water 200m deep to do the test but can be done inside a pressure chamber. If a watch is rated to go 30m deep, yes. It shall. I will trust a Casio watch and their recommend.

https://youtu.be/xY_XfNbsHHM
    sillo38 likes this.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Quote Originally Posted by Triton9 View Post
    Plenty of nonsense heard from this thread. 3 bar are good enough for swimming.
    I dare you to wear a Patek Calatrava while swimming.

Most recommendations would suggest 3 bar is okay for rain, 5 bar under a tap, and 10 bar and up for swimming.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by woiter; June 19th, 2019 at 03:29.
    Gary123 and Cloneqwerty like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Triton9 View Post
    Plenty of nonsense heard from this thread. 3 bar are good enough for swimming. But vostok watch are not high reputable for their QC so it's matter of reputation about their QC rather than the spec.

A watch need not bring to deep water 200m deep to do the test but can be done inside a pressure chamber. If a watch is rated to go 30m deep, yes. It shall. I will trust a Casio watch and their recommend. https://youtu.be/xY_XfNbsHHM
    It is not nonsense. 30m is not really suitable for swimming. I would never take a 30m watch swimming, needs to be at least 100m.
    Cloneqwerty and Dan T. like this.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero, Roger Dubuis Excalibur 42 .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would go with seiko skx 007/009 . You could also try Orient Ray/mako. Both exceptional options IMO.

Go with a Vostok Amphibia. I think they're great looking watches, durable as heck, and there are several YouTube videos of Vostok owners doing all sorts of terrible things to their watches, including pressure tests.

Name:  Vostok-420648-009-wrist-110618.jpeg
Views: 72
Size:  139.5 KB

Check out the Vostok threads in the Russian Watch forum.
    As for the quality of your average Vostok, keep in mind it was designed by the Soviets in the 1950s and costs $75. You might want to check the time twice a week or so because it won't be COSC certified, and the winding crown/stem takes some getting used to, but I've owned over a dozen of them and only had trouble with one ... which is a pretty good ratio for any brand.

PS: I just re-read this and sounds like I'm saying Soviet design is a bad thing (unless we're talking about nuclear reactors or supersonic passenger aircraft) -- allegedly the watch was first manufactured in the 1950s as a military dive watch. I say "allegedly" because I've never seen it confirmed, although there are plenty of vintage Vostoks on the market. Even if it wasn't designed as a military diver, it is designed to be a) simple, b) durable, and c) cheap. If this watch is still being manufactured after 50+ years, I would tend to think it's a successful design. Again, it's not gonna keep Rolex-accurate time, but my worst Vostok ran about +20 SPD, which is better than some Seikos I've owned.
    Last edited by Vioviv; June 19th, 2019 at 19:04.
    Weetabix likes this.

There are plenty of stories you can find here and in reviews online about people swimming, snorkeling, and shallow diving with Seiko 5's that are rated 30m
    Triton9, Cloneqwerty and sillo38 like this.

Hi!

For sub $50.00, I'd recommend that you just get the cheapest possible watch you can. I have tried, and failed, to get a waterproof watch in that range. If you can up the budget just a bit, you can get something like a Casio MW320D-9EV. You should be able to find one for $75-100.00. I actually used to dive with one of those and can vouch for it being watertight, and a good looking cheap quartz watch.

Happy Hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by chronomaestro View Post
    I would be extremely cautious of the WR rate for an affordable watch (citizen, Seiko, and fill in your favorite affordable brand here). For under $100, you can bet that probably no extensive WR test was conducted.
    Not even for $2000. Water Resistant watches (as per ISO-2281) are exempted from individual testing, taking statistic samples instead (but I never got info about how they should exactly be sampled -I suspect even a sample of one might suffice).

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneMore View Post
    Being a quartz it would probably be fine, but in my opinion you would be far better of with the Casio. The MDV is very highly regarded and is a bit of a cult favorite due to it's quality and price.
    No further suggestions needed. The Casio MDV106 is the answer. I have one and despite owning watches 10x it’s price...I always want to grab the Casio. It’s really quite astonishing. I’m obsessed with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    It is not nonsense. 30m is not really suitable for swimming. I would never take a 30m watch swimming, needs to be at least 100m.
    I brought plenty of pulsar and citizen dress watch to swim with only 30m wr. Not a problem.. Usually, companies will do all means to discourage you from swimming with a watch. If you never bring it to water. It will never have the water leak problem. This is a typical mentality. Some of those watch are very low cost which repairing it for you will hurt their income.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information