Beater recommendations/water resistance question
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Beater recommendations/water resistance question

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Beater recommendations/water resistance question

I have been trolling the internet looking for cheap,but water proof/resistant watches. So far I have come across the Vostok amphibian, and this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Time-Arrow-...edirect=mobile

The above Time Arrow watch says it is water resistant up to 3 BAR. I want an everyday watch that I could, lets say, swim with in a pool. I would like to know from people who have this watch if it is able to do that.

Also, I would like to get some recommendations for sub 50-45 dollar watches that can be used for swimming. I prefer the diver/military look.

I am somewhat new here, so please excuse any spelling errors or confusing sentences.

Re: Beater recommendations/water resistance question

Don't go swimming with a 3 bar WR. 3 bar is rain proof. I would personally aim for a minimum of 10 bar.

You might want to have a look at the timex expedition, although they are only rated for 5 bar, they are a nice example of a field watch (almost) within your budget.

Alternatively, take a look at the offerings from Casio. There is a huge offering there.

If you can get closer to the 100$ mark, you can look at some Seiko 5 field and dive style watches.

If you don't mind an homage get an Invicta.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by woiter; June 19th, 2019 at 02:32. Reason: Typo
    Weetabix and gary4421944 like this.

Casio MDV 106. Mine did fine in the Caribbean.

Apparently, I took no photos. Search the forum, though. I'm pretty sure there are several threads.

Can't be beat.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    yankeexpress and Dan T. like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Casio MDV-106 is the answer to your search. Diver style, 200M (20 bar) water resistance and $40 price point.

3 bar in NOT considered water resistant

Aside from water resistance, is the Time arrow watch a good beater? By "beater" I mean is it able to be dropped, and is it able to be worn while exercising?

Quote Originally Posted by Cloneqwerty View Post
    Aside from water resistance, is the Time arrow watch a good beater? By "beater" I mean is it able to be dropped, and is it able to be worn while exercising?
    All watches can be dropped. Most watches will survive this. The point is that you shouldn't mind scratching up your beater watch. Your watch will probably do fine for that purpose.

I find it more comfortable to exercise with a light and small watch such as the Casio F91W, YMMV.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cloneqwerty View Post
    Being a quartz it would probably be fine, but in my opinion you would be far better of with the Casio. The MDV is very highly regarded and is a bit of a cult favorite due to it's quality and price.
    woiter likes this.

Bertucci will take a beating. More a military style.

Dan T. likes this.

MDV-106

I would be extremely cautious of the WR rate for an affordable watch (citizen, Seiko, and fill in your favorite affordable brand here). For under $100, you can bet that probably no extensive WR test was conducted. Even if it were, WR is not guaranteed for an extended time. It may be fun to wear but I wouldn’t bet my life and go diving with it.

I purchased the now infamous Invicta Submariner before. It had a Myota movement and I believe was rated 200BAR. Well, the thread on the screw-down crown failed so I could no longer screw down the crown. There goes the WR rating.

I would certainly spend a few more $ and get a decent Seiko diver. It can be a beater and I know the WR is “believable”. For other cheap brands, I think the WR is just a marketing ploy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JimD303 likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information