WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Beater watches

4K views 41 replies 38 participants last post by  Fatboi_ET 
#1 ·
So - I'm looking into what would I look for in a watch that I want to look good but be tough as nails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#37 ·
I vote for G-shock too (in the sense that "beater watch" == watch that you wear while beating someone).

#20 · (Edited)
just trying to figure out what might last
Most "sturdier" watch will survive some knocks, but I want to mention G Shocks and Victorinox INOX specifically (but all options allready mentioned also will last). Not archetypical divers, but both with 200m WR.

and what will be beaten up after a weekend wrenching on the car.
The INOX will take anyting, they are tested to fall on concrete from 30 feet, be run over by a tank, and a lot more and keep on ticking.
Take a look at the video's here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Victorinox

However, the watch will look beat up afterwards.

If you don't want that, you'll want a hardened case for some scratch resistance. Rolex (just slightly harder steel than normal steel, mainly ment for salt water resistance), Damasko and Sinn (quite hard stuff), Seiko Shogun (hardened titanium, not as hard as Damasko and Sinn), Archimede.
If you were a mechanic, and work on cars every day, after say a 4 year period you will see scratches on all of those watches to some extend.

If you only work on cars in the weekend I would absolutely consider using a dedicated watch for that. Any Seiko 5 available from as low as $70 will wear the scars proudly.

#8 ·
Seiko Monster (in any of it many varieties). But some of the more rare/LE ones maybe not so much.

Great watch, nearly bomb-proof. In my opinion, actually looks better when you can tell it has been through hell and back and is still ticking.

#10 ·
I would suggest a victorinox dive master 500, literally can be used as a hammer.

Reactions: Lotica48
#11 ·
Any Seiko (bar grand)
G-Shock
Chr Ward perhaps?

#12 ·
As a surfer and a waterman, a titanium case is something I look for in a beater watch.

#31 ·
The Eco Zilla by Citizen would make a better beater as the Eco Drive system is powered by natural light with a longer reserved then any Monster and it can handle 100 meters deeper for around the same price.

Go with the Zilla if you are considering the Monster as your diver beater from Planet X!

#25 ·
It really depends on how durable you want it to be vs how good you want it to look doing whatever it is you do.

Mechanical movements are great, however, with less moving parts, a quartz watch should take more of a shock type of beating (some may dispute this). Water resistance, materials that are scratch/ding proof and the like suggests that a G Shock is the perfect Beater in extreme conditions, however, if you want one that can take a lighter beating, then you get to fully brushed dive/military style watches like the aforementioned Monster, and I would toss the Marathon TSAR/GSAR in to the mix.

#30 ·
Good day. I am Cabbage Theodore Head the Third. I wear my rolex sub as a beater. I highly recommend this affordable timekeeper for all mundane purposes.

Ps: just playing with you! Seiko skx makes a great beater. Dependable, tough as nails, slight 80's retro feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.