Beaters
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Beaters

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Beaters

TL;DR: what is your favorite cheap beater watch and what makes it so tough? Toughest luxury watches?

Over the years we have seen things like water resistance become customary in watches. The G-Shock raised the bar in terms of shock resistance and longevity. But what is your favorite watch to go through hell and back with? G-Shock still seems to be market leaders in this domain, but surely there must be some variety, some competition. Also what luxury company makes the watch that can receive the most abuse?

Watches are so damn cool but the fragility is always the biggest turn off for me. As an extreme guy, to have a watch truly become something I grow accustomed to having on my arm, it must also be robust to avoid my impending heartbreak.

Re: Beaters

Quartz watches are generally more robust than mechanicals, though not always, as fragile quartz do exist (looking at you Eco-drive Citizen)

Having busted several major brands of watch thru hard use and abuse working at sea on steel ships and racing sailboats for fun, I have found that Casio make the most reliable, robust watches bar none, and the G-Shock are practically indestructible outside of baseball bats and bullets aimed at them.

G-Shock are not just the market leaders, they are the military leaders, the oil tanker leaders, the yacht racer leaders, the Olympic sailing leaders, the NASA leaders, the motorcycle racer leaders, the oil rig roughneck leaders, the DPW leaders, the Fireman leaders, the construction worker leaders, the law enforcement leaders, etc.

Anywhere there is hard physical work and play being done, most workers are wearing a G-Shock.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; March 21st, 2019 at 07:08.
    U5512, Ard, clayteson and 4 others like this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

I have destroyed a couple of watches through the years, including a G shock Mudman (by sheer stupidity).

I just spent a month travelling in south asia through dusty cities and jungles and I took again the g shock. A white GWX-5600C-7JF. it came back with some new scuffs but not a scratch in the display. But I chose it for practicality. has 5 alarms and the chronometer and world time and it's light and I don't mind if i sweat on it.

I had just got a new citizen F100 and I really wanted to take it but it felt out of place in such area as south asia. But I've used my old 1974 seiko 7005-2000 relentlessly through hot and cold and although in the mountain snowboarding with -25º it did stop (all the times I snowboarded with it) and also created drops of water inside, I simply let it rest and it was working as usual the next day.

It doesn't make sense to me the toughest luxury watch question. You will never take it there. I mean, who can feel confortable doing something risky or high impact with €5000? What I hate is the feeling that the thought is always there, cannot hammer a nail without thinking of removing the watch first? Maybe a Richard Mille wearer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

V O S T O K
    What makes it so tough?
    ha ha ha haa ha haa haa he he heh.
    Hah.
    t minus and SpaceCadet65 like this.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

I agree, in terms of toughness, I can’t think of anything else even close to a G-shock .. mine’s been through hell and back and still works perfectly
    yankeexpress likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthjade View Post
    V O S T O K
    What makes it so tough?
    Hah.
    Mechanical? Pffft! Not even in the conversation.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Quote Originally Posted by tra1neiraz View Post
    I have destroyed a couple of watches through the years, including a G shock Mudman (by sheer stupidity).

I just spent a month travelling in south asia through dusty cities and jungles and I took again the g shock. A white GWX-5600C-7JF. it came back with some new scuffs but not a scratch in the display. But I chose it for practicality. has 5 alarms and the chronometer and world time and it's light and I don't mind if i sweat on it.

I had just got a new citizen F100 and I really wanted to take it but it felt out of place in such area as south asia. But I've used my old 1974 seiko 7005-2000 relentlessly through hot and cold and although in the mountain snowboarding with -25º it did stop (all the times I snowboarded with it) and also created drops of water inside, I simply let it rest and it was working as usual the next day.

It doesn't make sense to me the toughest luxury watch question. You will never take it there. I mean, who can feel confortable doing something risky or high impact with €5000? What I hate is the feeling that the thought is always there, cannot hammer a nail without thinking of removing the watch first? Maybe a Richard Mille wearer.
    Yes that last point you made on luxury is all I meant. I don't want to feel like I'm walking around with an incandescent lightbulb on my arm, where I'm scared to clap or high five someone. Otherwise I would never buy a luxury watch, and that is a sad thought also.

I'm looking at a Christopher Ward C1 Malvern moonphase, and I'm scared of it breaking in some stupid way. (Hitting the table in blackjack, clapping, high five, bumping into something) I'm not talking high impact sports or anything

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    V O S T O K
    What makes it so tough?
    Hah.
    Mechanical? Pffft! Not even in the conversation.
    It's funny because the Amphibia was actually the #1 recommended to me as a cheap /mechanical/ beater before I even started to look at g-shock. I made this thread largely for the purpose of having somebody perseude me one way or the other between amphibia and g-shock because they are the same price, but since I already own a couple mechanical timepieces I think the choice is obvious as you pointed out. (G-shock)

Are you doing any of the following?

* Slaying goblins with a main gauche and short sword combination?
    * Piloting a giant combat robot in a high intensity battle zone?
    * Bare knuckle boxing with outlaw biker gangs?
    * Piloting a prototype driller into the centre of the Earth?
    * Taking over from Batman in patrolling Gotham City on Thursday nights?

If the answer to all of the above is no, then a V O S T O K will be fine.
    grinta, timefleas, cortman and 2 others like this.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Are you doing any of the following?

* Slaying goblins with a main gauche and short sword combination?
    * Piloting a giant combat robot in a high intensity battle zone?
    * Bare knuckle boxing with outlaw biker gangs?
    * Piloting a prototype driller into the centre of the Earth?
    * Taking over from Batman in patrolling Gotham City on Thursday nights?

If the answer to all of the above is no, then a V O S T O K will be fine.
    LOL

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information