Because its a Rolex!
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Because its a Rolex!

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Because its a Rolex!

Often fellow members of this forum post questions and comparisons between watches and many times when a Rolex is involved I feel like I see several posts that the Rolex should be picked "because its a Rolex".....

This answers in my humble opinion seriously falls short. If someone feels that Rolex is the better watch then please explain. Is it the movement, the history, the aesthetics.....just say anything past Its a Rolex.

Do not get me wrong, I am not bashing Rolex, they make amazing watches and have bullet proof pedigree, but when someone gives that answer I feel like a 5 year old just entered an adults discussion.

I am no watch expert but if I choose to include myself in a discussion as such I will give reasoning for which watch I would suggest/recommend....which is often a Rolex.

What gives?
    SW2201, Veda and Juanjo_NY like this.
    Modern
    Breitling Windrider B13358LA/A700
    Crepas L'Ocean
    MJW The Decider, The Last Laugh Tattoo Edition
    Rolex Submariner 16610
    Seiko SARB017, SARB065

Swatch Bunnysutra
    Vostok Amphibian 100652

Vintage
    1966 Longines Gold Metal (Inherited)
    1949 Cortebert 8459
    1945 Bulova Minute Man (Inherited)

Re: Because its a Rolex!

The OP is right in that many recommendations lack context, especially when it comes to Rolex. Sometimes it can be valid WIS shorthand for a watch that is well made and retains its value. Sometimes it can mean no more than a "+1" type boost to a post count. But there are many other occasions on which a discussion based on metrics is warranted. Advocating a watch purchase based on name alone is at one end of the simplistic spectrum, just like equating Rolex with pretentiousness is at the other. Here's to raising the level of dialogue based on merits based on facts, however Quixotic that quest may be.
    SW2201, EnderW, chuasam and 2 others like this.

Aesthetics, always aesthetics for me and like many watches from many brands, some Rolex models qualify and thus my recommendation(s) . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne *anOrdain * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think the comment in question ("...because it's a Rolex...") perfectly captures why some people buy them. Lots of folks on this forum are knowledgeable and will gladly provide you with sound reasoning to support their suggestions (whether it's Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko, or whatever).

Others aren't...and won't.
    Split Second likes this.

I think with Rolex, some things are implied - resale value, classic look, name recognition, movt durability. Beyond that, one should expect more objective metrics to be provided. Still, the implied attributes do allow for Rolex to be a default answer in some cases.
    For example:

"I want to get a new watch for $10K and know nothing about watches. Want to sell easily if I don't like it? - Answer should be Rolex due to implied resale value.
    "I want to get a new watch and know nothing about watches but would like people to recognize it" - Answer should be Rolex due to implied recognition
    "I want to get a new watch to engrave caseback and to pass on to my kids 40 yrs from now and it should not look dated" - Answer should be Rolex due to implied classic style\lack of drastic change and solid steel caseback and durability.

On the other hand there are a number of questions where Rolex is not the answer, or if it is, it should be substantiated with evidence. Ex:
    "I am looking for a 3-hander watch with versatility to be worn in different situations and comfortable bracelet. Not looking to sell it - just for me to enjoy". This has many valid answers and if someone suggests a Rolex, they should make a case why,.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanielGoodtimes View Post
    Often fellow members of this forum post questions and comparisons between watches and many times when a Rolex is involved I feel like I see several posts that the Rolex should be picked "because its a Rolex".....

This answers in my humble opinion seriously falls short. If someone feels that Rolex is the better watch then please explain. Is it the movement, the history, the aesthetics.....just say anything past Its a Rolex.

Do not get me wrong, I am not bashing Rolex, they make amazing watches and have bullet proof pedigree, but when someone gives that answer I feel like a 5 year old just entered an adults discussion.

I am no watch expert but if I choose to include myself in a discussion as such I will give reasoning for which watch I would suggest/recommend....which is often a Rolex.

What gives?
    Seems like even when people say they want advice on a watch and they don't want a Rolex, the Rolex Submariner is suggested. Same with some Omega. I don't know why people would want everyone to have the same watch as them and I don't know why those watches are popular. People like to conform I guess. People like to justify the amount of money they spent in their conformity.
    Anglo Irish and Juanjo_NY like this.

The name, Rolex, speaks for itself.
    "Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Breitling|Tag Heuer|Omega|Rolex|Ulysse Nardin

Its a shame that Rolex are seen purely as status symbols by some and are definitely purchased by people who have no idea about watches and only buy it for the name. At first it definitely put me off purchasing a Rolex but eventually I chose to ignore this and buy the watch I wanted.

For me this links article really explains why someone into Watches would buy a Rolex:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/inside-rolex
    Last edited by jonobailey; October 5th, 2015 at 22:27.
    IMD90 likes this.
    Nomos Orion Weiss
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual- Rhodium
    Tudor Heritage Chronograph
    Damasko DC66
    Damasko DSub1
    Damasko DS30
    Stowa Partitio Black

Quote Originally Posted by atomicfront View Post
    Seems like even when people say they want advice on a watch and they don't want a Rolex, the Rolex Submariner is suggested. Same with some Omega. I don't know why people would want everyone to have the same watch as them and I don't know why those watches are popular. People like to conform I guess. People like to justify the amount of money they spent in their conformity.
    simple, they appeal to other people (obviously) . . . . i assure you some, maybe many, people don't like/love/dislike/abhor the same things as you do . . .
    vkalia likes this.
    A.Lange & Sohne *anOrdain * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Like those above have pointed out, Rolex checks many many boxes for one's collection. For anyone that prides themselves on having a "great watch collection" and not including a Rolex would be lacking. This would exclude those rare individuals that collect just one brand or aspect of watches. For example, the collection of every Omega Speedmaster or Heuer. Definitely collections that would merit interest and even depth, despite heavily concentrating on one particular "thing." Most collections don't work this way, however, thus Rolex being mentioned. For anyone that wants a piece of quality, history, craftsmanship and function Rolex is typically included in that list as by name alone, has shown to be a sure bet.
    mleok likes this.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information