Been given $10,000.....Invicta Rally1 or Rolex 16613 TT Blue?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Been given $10,000.....Invicta Rally1 or Rolex 16613 TT Blue?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

So I'm in a difficult situation. My Grandfather (Dad's Dad) recently passed. It appears, totally unexpectedly that I have been left a little something.

A little history on my Pops. He had a complex sense of humour which was very confusing as a child. He was the sort of guy that would offer to fund a Political Science degree at an awesome university or a Law degree at a backwater (no ones ever heard of it Uni) University. One would guarantee you a job in South East Asian Politics with the Govt that you didn't want and the other would guarantee you endless searches with a good degree from a Uni that no one had heard of.

I have been left $10,000 BUT must buy either an Invicta S1 Rally or a Sub, which by the way he wore for 37 years. I have to choose the sub or the alternative and if I choose the alternative I have to donate the difference to the Catholic Church (he was an atheist). This is so typical. Everything was a puzzle to him. Everything was a lesson and an extreme. I don't feel duty bound to "do the right thing" by the way. The old boy once contacted a friend from the Taupo Times who published a photo of me holding a huge rainbow trout he claimed I had caught and then the next day forced the paper to issue a correction stating I had made it out of paper, flour and water. Why? God only knows. But he was a laugh.

He was not a WIS but loved his Rolex. I think because it was one of the only things in his life that didn't give him crap. Ill bet he's never heard of any other watch brand let alone Invicta but he loved a prank.

What to do?

Attachment 975398

Attachment 975401
    "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" Leonardo Da Vinci

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather.....Wow.. Interesting situation!

So if you go by his rules you either buy a really cheap watch and donate the rest of the money or buy a really nice watch and potentially keep it for the rest of your life..

My gut feeling is buy the Rolex and enjoy it. He enjoyed his, so why not to do the same thing!!

Good luck on this one....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Shan S.; February 17th, 2013 at 02:47.
    Ball Fireman Storm Chaser (Stainless Steel)
    Citizen Attesa 25th Anniversary 2nd Edition (BY0094-52E)
    Citizen Perpetual Chrono A-T (AT4010-50E)
    Citizen Perpetual C
    hrono A-T (AT4008-01E)
    Citizen NightHawk SS (BJ7000-52E) [maybe selling]
    Laco Paderborn Flieger Nav.B
    Suunto Core All Black (Military)
    Sold:
    Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II vintage TITANIUM
    Sold:
    Suunto Core Alu Deep Black

Re: Been given $10,000.....Invicta Rally1 or Rolex 16613 TT Blue?

Firstly, my condolences on the passing of your Grandfather. He sounds like a character.

Anyway, um, not really sire what to make of this. Unless you have am undying need or guilt to leave the church $10k, I'd certainly get the Rolex, and think of your Grandfather every time you wore it.

Of course, you may find out that it's a test, and had you left the church the money, you were in line for a $million. Makes me think of that Richard Pryor movie Brewster's Millions.

Anyway, good luck.

Dan
    Current Collection:

Longines Master Collection Moonphase, Deep Blue World Diver 500M, Raymond Weil W1 Chronograph, Tissot PRS516 Chrono, Omega Seamaster 300, Citizen Skyhawk, Citizen Signature Automatic, Orient World Traveler GMT, Accutron VX-200, Citizen Eco Chrono BL5400-52A, Hamilton Cushion Chrono, Breitling Superocean Heritage 46, Orient Star GMT, Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT

"It's a fake. And that's because all 'is my Patek a fake' posts contain only fake Pateks." quote, WUS member geoffbot

"... The minute a watch costs more than a well equipped Camry, I'd start feeling guilty about the purchase... " quote, WUS member LosTresGatos

"I think the only people who make rational decisions regarding watches are the people that do not post on watch forums." quote, WUS member digivandig

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

er...your Dad has passed and you still have to make a choice! Well.....as I am a born again Christian, I'd say give ALL the money to the church, or if you must buy the invicta and give the rest to the Catholic church, despite the fact that I think most of the CC are deceived. If you're not bothered about watches, then the Invicta will do for you!
    Last edited by Hammondo; February 17th, 2013 at 02:59.
    Hammy

Omega Ω Seamaster GMT 2234.50 (daily wear)
    Oris BC3 Advanced Day Date (tool watch but looking to sell)
    Casio Edifice EQW-A1110 Atomic Solar (for my eldest)
    Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic (for my youngest)
    Garmin Forerunner (when I start running again!)
    Casio Mudman (looking to just give away)

I'm mean this in a good way: Maybe it's because I'm viewing it on my phone and that's somehow affecting my cognitive skills, but this is probably the oddest post I've read on WUS. I have no idea where reality starts or stops, but it was a fun and clever read.
    Seiko Spring Drive was my wedding watch, Rolex Datejust was my anniversary watch, but I call Oris home.

Quote Originally Posted by Formerguide View Post
    Firstly, my condolences on the passing of your Grandfather. He sounds like a character.

Anyway, um, not really sire what to make of this. Unless you have am undying need or guilt to leave the church $10k, I'd certainly get the Rolex, and think of your Grandfather every time you wore it.

Of course, you may find out that it's a test, and had you left the church the money, you were in line for a $million. Makes me think of that Richard Pryor movie Brewster's Millions.

Anyway, good luck.

Dan
    Oh it is a test but one with no logical answer. I could donate the balance to the church but remember he was an atheist. He couldn't stand organised religion. He was also extremely frugal and loved anything that returned great value for money. I once pointed out that his watch was a great investment and he responded by saying "its just a bloody watch...you only need to buy it once".

Quote Originally Posted by deluxeswiss View Post
    Oh it is a test but one with no logical answer. I could donate the balance to the church but remember he was an atheist. He couldn't stand organised religion. He was also extremely frugal and loved anything that returned great value for money. I once pointed out that his watch was a great investment and he responded by saying "its just a bloody watch...you only need to buy it once".

Again I think Rolex.. The fact he loved anything that returned great value, and the fact he said you only have to buy it once.

Go with the Rolex and you will have another item that will remind you of him. Every time you look at the watch you can always in a way thank him for it...

Donating to the church when he did not believe in organized religion....like you said it is a interesting test...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Shan S.; February 17th, 2013 at 02:58.
    Ball Fireman Storm Chaser (Stainless Steel)
    Citizen Attesa 25th Anniversary 2nd Edition (BY0094-52E)
    Citizen Perpetual Chrono A-T (AT4010-50E)
    Citizen Perpetual C
    hrono A-T (AT4008-01E)
    Citizen NightHawk SS (BJ7000-52E) [maybe selling]
    Laco Paderborn Flieger Nav.B
    Suunto Core All Black (Military)
    Sold:
    Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II vintage TITANIUM
    Sold:
    Suunto Core Alu Deep Black

"its just a bloody watch...you only need to buy it once".
    Words of wisdom ! My condolences, but buy the bloody Rolex and wear the darn thing !
    Psycho_love likes this.

I started writing what I thought was a relatively well thought-out response. But going back and re-reading the original post, I gotta admit I'm truly gobsmacked.

BTW....my sincere condolences to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal8500 View Post
    I started writing what I thought was a relatively well thought-out response. But going back and re-reading the original post, I gotta admit I'm truly gobsmacked.

BTW....my sincere condolences to you.
    Thanks all for the condolences. Much appreciated. He actually passed 9 years ago but the whole issue has been stuck in the courts. My grief has well and truly passed.

To me the answer is simple....but somehow so complex...I choose the Rolex but in doing so feel like I am missing something...and then consider the alternative and can hear him laughing at me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information