Been thinking about this one for a few days. PP & ALS content.

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?

Voters
49. This poll is closed

31 63.27%
  • Dato

18 36.73%
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Been thinking about this one for a few days. PP & ALS content.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Been thinking about this one for a few days. PP & ALS content.

While going through some things a few days ago, I found a recent PP catalog stashed under some books and, when I flipped through, the 5170 stood out for me, like it always does. The vintage vibe is perfect, and the movement is a work of art. It looks even more stunning in person, too.

This led me to consider the 5170's competitors. In my opinion, ALS certainly has one with the Datograph, but it isn't particularly gifted in the looks department, despite the exquisitely-finished piece of art lurking under the hood. I find that the case with many of ALS' watches: they aren't lookers, and the movement is where I focus most of my attention.

That being said, I *think* the price is fairly similar for these two watches. Which one do you prefer? I fully expect the ALS to win in a landslide victory, given the obsession around here. I'm hoping we can generate some good discussion, not something like "ALS because it's an ALS," or "PP because it's a PP." Try to consider the whole package as well. Not just the movement.

Last edited by ImitationOfLife; November 3rd, 2013 at 07:41. Reason: cleaned up some writing!

Re: Been thinking about this one for a few days. PP & ALS content.

I prefer the looks of the dato.... It also has date and power reserve. That said, I'm not keen on chronos - if I was to pick up a PP or ALS it would be an annual calendar... Probably Saxonia AC.

The Flyback Datograph is one of my favourites, but I prefer the Patek. Both are stunning, inside and out - but the dial on the Patek is a winner.

In any case, I wouldn't kick either out of bed if they farted.
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 8500 Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day/Date Casio G-Shock DW-9052 TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lavina Manual Wind (Vintage 1940s) Swiss Military 6-512.15 Titanium

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the Patek is the better looking watch. I couldn't have it because it has no date, but yeah, I like it more than the Lange in the looks dept.
    The Naf likes this.

I find it staggering that you are in a position to seriously consider one of these pieces - an absolute holy grail for many. You are truly in a fortunate position to be deciding between one of these fine timepieces.

And I find myself siding with CitizenM here: the Patek, although it's something I don't really want to like, is the clear winner to me. It's just a more complete watch. Sure, the Dato has that amazing movement and possibly one of - if not the greatest - display back ever on a mechanical wrist watch, BUT - and this is a big one - the dial just doesn't 'work' for me. I can't quite place it. It doesn't have that classic vibe of the Patek, which is part of what makes the Philippe timeless, and it doesn't seem like it absolutely fits, if that makes sense. Looking at the 5170 is easy. None of it seems over-designed or out of place or gimmicky in any way. And that isn't to say the Lange is poorly designed, because it's not - the Patek just comes that much closer to perfection.
    The Naf likes this.
    Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

Quote Originally Posted by BusyTimmy View Post
    I find it staggering that you are in a position to seriously consider one of these pieces - an absolute holy grail for many. You are truly in a fortunate position to be deciding between one of these fine timepieces.
    Just to be clear, I'm only mulling over these watches, and this thread wasn't intended to be a "what should I purchase" sort of thing.

My poor man's 5170 is no slouch! Like I said, though, the 5170 is glorious in real life.

Last edited by ImitationOfLife; November 3rd, 2013 at 07:38.
    BusyTimmy, MZhammer and Hl247b like this.

Unfortunately (or fortunately from a financial perspective) neither one draws me aesthetically, as impeccable as the quality/heritage of both watches may be. If offered as a gift, I'd choose the Patek only because it looks more balanced to my eye and I like the lighter dial color. Wouldn't fault anyone for going gaga over one or the other or both, of course, and I know the fans are legion. I'm with you, too, on the Lange opinion in that there are only a few pieces that call to me (same for PP btw). Thankfully, they're the most basic and least expensive models . . . . .
    BusyTimmy likes this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Tough choice, I like the AL&S's movement but the PP's dial. Since a watch is always worn face up, I guess ill have to go with the PP.

While I find watches from A. Lange and Sohne to be intellectually appealing, because of the impeccable finishing, exacting quality, and innovative movement features, they rarely evoke a visceral response in me. I am not very keen about the asymmetric dials like the Lange 1, and the simple time only pieces tend to obscure the beauty of the movement behind the characteristic German three-quarter plate.

For that reason, the movement on the Datagraph is the most appealing one to me within the Lange lineup, as it has the beautifully exposed movement components typical of high-end manual wind chronograph movements. The dial however doesn't speak to me as much as the one on the Patek 5170, which has an appealing vintage vibe to it. While I probably give a slight nod to the movement in the Datograph, the movement in the 5170 is no slouch either, so I would be inclined to chose the 5170.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

The Patek wins in a landslide.
    IMO there's not a single visually pleasing element on the front of that Lange. Except perhaps the cute little PR meter. Times New Roman was never my cup of tea on a watch face ;)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information