Beginner looking for first watch under $3k, advice appreciated!

Thread: Beginner looking for first watch under $3k, advice appreciated!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Beginner looking for first watch under $3k, advice appreciated!

Hi all,

I am new to the watch world and want to take the first step to building a collection. I have about $3k, but would ideally prefer to spend somewhere in the $2-2.5k range.

I'm looking for something to wear everyday, mostly with casual/sport apparel but occasionally with suits. I'm a 25 year old first year lawyer in NYC. Therefore, I'm looking for something with a little sex appeal and style.

My favorite watch is a Panerai, but unfortuantely I lack the means currently. Here are some that I'm looking at:

Omega seamaster black-on-black
    Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic
    Tag Heuer Monaco blue face
    Breitling Superocean black-on-black
    Omega seamaster planet ocean

I really like the Monaco but the price is a little steep and I've heard Tags are unreliable. The seamaster is also nice but I hear it's being replaced. I looked at the bond versions, but I am turned off by the 007 branding. The Breitling and the PO are cool but I worry that they are too bulky.

Do you guys have any opinions on the topic? Any watches I'm overlooking?

edit: I'm also looking at the Omega Aqua Terra, but concerned that it might be too dressy for daily use. Thoughts?
    Last edited by sater523; March 11th, 2008 at 04:29.

Re: Beginner looking for first watch under $3k, advice appreciated!

Well, my personal favorite is my Enzo EMV. They retail for well below your price range - maybe $800 to 1000 used. I've worn mine with both casual clothes and in court (impressed the AUSA with it). If I had to choose from your list I would go with Omega. Good luck and be sure to post pics of whatever you get.
    Scott

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

I bought the monaco in question for my first series watch.. nice watch, but very small by todays standards. I have it on the SS band.. the price just went up to $3900 MSRP.. prior to the price increase they were readily available on ebay for $2200.. now they seem to be priced $2700 new... buying a used watch would be a wise choice.

Quote Originally Posted by sater523 View Post
    Hi all,

I am new to the watch world and want to take the first step to building a collection. I have about $3k, but would ideally prefer to spend somewhere in the $2-2.5k range.

I'm looking for something to wear everyday, mostly with casual/sport apparel but occasionally with suits. I'm a 25 year old first year lawyer in NYC. Therefore, I'm looking for something with a little sex appeal and style.

My favorite watch is a Panerai, but unfortuantely I lack the means currently. Here are some that I'm looking at:

Omega seamaster black-on-black
    Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic
    Tag Heuer Monaco blue face
    Breitling Superocean black-on-black
    Omega seamaster planet ocean

I really like the Monaco but the price is a little steep and I've heard Tags are unreliable. The seamaster is also nice but I hear it's being replaced. I looked at the bond versions, but I am turned off by the 007 branding. The Breitling and the PO are cool but I worry that they are too bulky.

Do you guys have any opinions on the topic? Any watches I'm overlooking?

edit: I'm also looking at the Omega Aqua Terra, but concerned that it might be too dressy for daily use. Thoughts?
    Bell & Ross BR02 Carbon - Bell & Ross BR01 Power Reserve - Tag Heuer "McQueen" Monaco

2009 wish list - Rolex DSSD

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

of your choices, i'd say Omega Planet Ocean. i'm biased, however, since i own it. gets better and better looking each day i wear it and i loved its looks from the start. definitely not too bulky for court/ work. 42MM version is actually fairly thin compared to many diver watches. refined timepiece yet sporty.

breitling superocean is a good choice as well. if you like bling, breitling certainly fits the bill. thicker than omega, i believe.

if you want something a bit out of the mainstream, the germans are a good choice. the cool sinns, as someone mentioned, and the elegant stowas.
    Last edited by acdelco; March 11th, 2008 at 06:46. Reason: add

In that price range you have a lot of options. Sinn, Damasko, Limes, Nomos, Stowa, and Ball just to name a few. Do a search function in this forum as well as some googling and I think you will find something that will make your jaw drop. All the ones you mentioned are safe choices but if you want something high quality that not everyone else in the firm is wearing, there are a lot of nice watches that I had never heard of until joining this forum. Happy hunting.
    autos: Hamilton navy pioneer(sold), stowa partitio, precista prs-22, stowa airman(sold), stowa antea 365, marathon sar(sold), vostok amphibian(sold), black mako(sold), seiko 5 military, sinn 556a

quartz: maurice lacroix, swiss army field, wenger swiss military 2912x, marathon tsar, 2 mudmen, gulfman, breitling colt

hand wind: 1963 seagull chrono(sold), stowa partitio, helbros

The Aqua Terra is (In my never to be humble opinion) the most versatle watch on your list. It really looks good with a suit or jeans.
    Don

mav

My vote is for the Omega SMP Pro or Planet Ocean. Look into the Speedmaster as well. Every collection needs one.
    ♛ Rolex | Ω Omega | IWC | Zenith | Tudor | Seiko
    @aguynamedtommy

If you are looking at the Breitling SO, you should check the new SO Heritage. All your choices are winners that you have listed, make sure you get the appropriate discounts if you are buying new. Good luck and show pics!
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

I have variations of four of the watches on your list, although any of the watches you currently have your eye on would be fantastic first watches.

Omega seamaster black-on-black - I have the Blue Chrono that I picked up pre-owned but otherwise NIB for $2250:

It's a fantastic watch, attractive, comfortable, accurate with fantastic lume.

Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic - Picked up brand new at my local AD for 80% of MSRP. It is also a very attractive, comfortable watch although not COSC and is in the +8 seconds per day range. This is my third Tag and I have never had an issue with reliability. The lume on this watch is not great, there isn't much of it and it doesn't last all night.

Tag Heuer Monaco blue face - Don't have one but have been toying with the idea. I sort of like them and wish I was as cool as Steve McQueen but I don't think that buying this watch get me there.

Breitling Superocean black-on-black - I have the blue one in 46mm, it's a really attractive watch but is larger than I usually like. It is, however very accurate, comfortable and stunningly beautiful. I purchased this one pre-owned for just over $2K. And, it has fantastic lume that lasts all night long.

Omega seamaster planet ocean - I have the 42mm PO. I started with a 45.5mm but found it to be too large for my taste. I traded with another WUS member my 45.5 for his 42 and much prefer it. I paid 80% of MSRP for my 45.5 at my local AD. The watch is also comfortable, very accurate and gorgeous with the best lume of the lot.

As I said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of your wishlist, but if I had to choose only one from this list it would be a toss-up between the 42mm PO and the SMP Chrono.

Good luck with your decision.

Have a look at Anonimo-made in the old Panarai facility in Italy. Here are some pics of a few models:

Wayfarer:

D-Date

Millimetre:

Polluce:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information