On being "Swiss Made"...

Thread: On being "Swiss Made"...

On being "Swiss Made"...

Hi -

There've been more than a few threads on WUS about whether a watch is "really" Swiss (and let's not get into the German thing...).

Now the Swiss are rethinking what makes a Swiss watch "Swiss": you can read it here.

This will almost definitely go through, and it means 80% of the content by value of a mechanical watch claiming to be Swiss must be from Switzerland, and 60% of a quartz watch, with both technical construction AND design work for the latter having to take place in Switzerland.

Big change, that, from the previous 50%!

JohnF

PS: Anybody tell <fill in the name of watch you want to bash here>? Hearing on 28 June!
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

stuffler,mike

Re: On being "Swiss Made"...

Chapeau Swiss made is fighting back the asian flood. Germany should have a look across the border, otherwise more and more germasian watches will swamp the market and "Made in Germany" will no longer be a quality mark.

Not that I know very much about the watch industry it does seem like good news to me that they are keeping standards high!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
    Not that I know very much about the watch industry it does seem like good news to me that they are keeping standards high!
    - Nick

Cars or Watches... that is the question!

Hi -

Agree absolutely, but the problem for Stowa et al is that they couldn't get to that 80% level without resorting to building their own movements, which as I know is, right now, completely out of the question. Unless you know someone who has around $20 mn or so to invest in a series of new calibre designs + manufacturing facilities + marketing and management.

And who is willing to wait 10 years for any returns on his investment.

On the other hand, there are wine funds that have turned out to be excellent investments (one company's funds bought up something like 30% of all grand cru from the top 100 chateau in France and they are looking right now at around a 250% return, given the increasing falsification of such wines and the fact that the years involved were really fantastic wine years in France: 1999-2004), so maybe we could put together a watch fund? Finance the new calibre designs, and the investors get watches from their favrorite watchmakers with very, very low serial numbers on the calibres, plus an actual financial return... Hmmmmmmm...

We'd need 10'000 investors @ $20k each. Let's see... WUS has 10'000 members...ok, I'll stop right there.

JohnF

PS: I am NOT offering anyone investment advice, nor am I suggesting it'd be a good investment. Really, I'm not. What my investment advice? Do the exact opposite of what I do, you will do better than I do...
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

While I agree that "Swiss made" should mean that the product was actually made in Switzerland, and while I understand that there have to be criteria specified on how much of it can come from other sources, I am not sure that being Swiss made necessarily means that it is higher quality than, say, a Japanese product. The trouble is that there are superlative products from many countries other than Switzerland and there is just no way for the buyer to know whether the non-Swiss parts come from country J, country C or any other country........ and, regardless of where it came from, what the quality is like.
    In the last analysis, one has to rely on the final assembler, ie the company whose name is on the box...... to trust that this company has made a good selection and has high standards of quality control and inspection. Given that one has to rely on this trust, how important is it where the bits of the product came from?

Hi -

Your post is an indication that the Swiss have some problems!

Seriously, it means that at least in your eyes Swiss watches aren't anything particularly special. You are correct in saying that there are fantastic products from other countries, no question about that: this is where some companies have even gone to using "Made by BMW" rather than "Made in Germany", although in some cases it represents the difficulty of identifying exactly where stuff was made...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Smile Re: On being "Swiss Made"...

Quote Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
    That is a ditto for me.
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Thread Information