Bernhardt GMT v Debaufre GMT

Thread: Bernhardt GMT v Debaufre GMT

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bernhardt GMT v Debaufre GMT

I have spent the last two days researching these companies and reading informative posts here on WUS I have also looked at countless pics of both models.

The GMT offering from Deb seems to have a bolder and more colorful bezel. And the Bern is $100 less than the Deb. (Not sure if shipping is included in the prices)

For those who have owned these watches I am looking for your opinion on which to choose and why.

Thanks

Re: Bernhardt GMT v Debaufre GMT

I would go for the 2893 over a modified for GMT 2836.

I chose the Bernhardt Globemaster after looking at both. I appreciate both watches and the fabulous bang for the buck they offer. That said, while I like the Rolex-like look that Debaufre has, I enjoy the Bernhardt for its nod toward the Rolex, but with a distinctive style all its own. The "open arrow" for the GMT time is very subtle and makes reading the dial very easy.

The $100 less is icing, plus the green and silver is soooo cool...

Current: Rolex Datejust; Omega Speedmaster Professional; Seiko Sumo; Casio GW-M5600; MkII Vantage; Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One commonly stated negative about the Globemaster-- if you're a lume fanatic, the glow on the Globemaster is not its strongest point. Not sure about the Debaufre.
    Current: Rolex Datejust; Omega Speedmaster Professional; Seiko Sumo; Casio GW-M5600; MkII Vantage; Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
    I would go for the 2893 over a modified for GMT 2836.
    I used to staunchly follow this belief, but once I got my Globemaster GMT, I can see that I didn't have much reason to prefer one or the other. They both do exactly the same thing, unless you have a size constraint. I thought the 2892A2-series would have a sturdier rotor bearing race than 2824-series movements, but I ended up getting excessive wear on those too. And the 2824-series definitely winds more efficiently.

-s-
    Vegas, baby!

I don't have a problem at all with the 2836 movement. I just don't trust the modifications done to it by who knows who.

Thanks for the replies guys! ^ Awesome Green & silver bezel! Too bad its not available anymore though I wonder if there are plans to bring it back?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaracer1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys! ^ Awesome Green & silver bezel! Too bad its not available anymore though I wonder if there are plans to bring it back?
    Not sure, although I've seen them now and then on the sale boards, including one in the last couple of days. I was fortunate to get this from Fred when he had one that had been returned.

I don't know if he plans to bring it back. The blue and orange are nice as well, but just not my particular color combination. You might drop him a line to inquire, or call him to ask.

Quick question on the Bernhardt - I recall reading somewhere that the GMT hand "jumps" from hour to hour, instead of a common GMT hand that slowly sweeps with the minute hand. Is this correct?
    - Jeff ~nickname is Wolfwy (pronounced wulf-wee )

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
    I don't have a problem at all with the 2836 movement. I just don't trust the modifications done to it by who knows who.
    Fair enough. However, I'm pretty sure you've read that the Bernhardt Company has great customer service, so I don't expect any issues if I have a problem. Also if you actually look at the pieces that are used in the 2836 modification, they are pretty high quality, and the GMT part of the movement works very smoothly and tightly. Not like some GMT movements I've seen from other manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfwy View Post
    Quick question on the Bernhardt - I recall reading somewhere that the GMT hand "jumps" from hour to hour, instead of a common GMT hand that slowly sweeps with the minute hand. Is this correct?
    The GMT hand moves smoothly with the hour hand.

The "jumping" has to do with setting it. On the Bernhardt version of the 2836 GMT mod, the hand is indexed, so when you set it, it is in sync with the hour hand. Just like a 2893-2. The movement in an Alpha Explorer GMT is not indexed, so it does not jump. So you can set the GMT hand to, say, 15 minutes after the hour hand. That's useful for timezones that are not a multiple of 60 minutes off UTC. And if you're lucky, the 24 hour hand will stay where you set it (excessive backlash in the geartrain makes that difficult).

-s-
    Vegas, baby!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information