Besides Rolex, what is a "luxury" watch brand your non-WIS friends are aware of?
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Besides Rolex, what is a "luxury" watch brand your non-WIS friends are aware of?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Besides Rolex, what is a "luxury" watch brand your non-WIS friends are aware of?

Maybe I just hang out with the wrong people , but despite all the marketing some of these watch companies do, a lot of my non-WIS friends seem to know few brands outside of Rolex, and the mass-market cheaper brands like Seiko/Casio/Citizen. Tag Heuer seems to be the most well-known outside of Rolex.

Re: Besides Rolex, what is a "luxury" watch brand your non-WIS friends are aware of?

Tag heuer. To a lesser extent Omega and Breitling as well. Sometimes even Panerai. But even then they get shocked at the prices involved with these brands.
    luecack likes this.

Re: Besides Rolex, what is a "luxury" watch brand your non-WIS friends are aware of?

In America, Rolex and maybe Tag (don't think very many will know the Heuer part) will be the only answer for most...hope you don't get in too much trouble over the "mass-market / cheaper" comment! Everybody here - on WUS -knows what those brands are capable, it's just that everybody else - in the US - doesn't.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Rolex/Omega/Breitling/Tag Heuer/Movado/Cartier/Mont Blanc/VERY RARELY a Panerai.
    Chronic flipper...

Before I got into watches, I was aware of Rolex, TAG Heuer, Citizen, Omega, and Seiko, in that order of awareness. Mostly just because of advertising in the USA. I knew about Omega through the James Bond series and my interest in history and the Space Race.

I thought Rolex was the nicest brand out there, and I had no idea of the hierarchy regarding the rest. I actually thought Citizen was top of the line because my boss wears a two-tone Ecodrive.
    Last edited by WatchesinIL; May 15th, 2014 at 00:37.
    Current Collection
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Day Date Auto - Black H32505731
    Tissot Visodate White/Silver - T019.430.16.031.01
    Bulova Moonwatch
    Seiko SNKN01

Seiko 5 Automatic SNK807

Former Collection
    Omega SMP 2551.80 (sold)
    Alpina Extreme Diver AL-240LBO3V6 (sold)

"Time nor tide wait for no man"

Tag, Breitling, Omega, and Cartier if they're fancy.
    Henry S likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    In America, Rolex and maybe Tag (don't think very many will know the Heuer part) will be the only answer for most...hope you don't get in too much trouble over the "mass-market / cheaper" comment! Everybody here - on WUS -knows what those brands are capable, it's just that everybody else - in the US - doesn't.
    Well hopefully nobody took that the wrong way, if anything it's just a fact. Those watch brands can appeal to a mass-market due to their cheaper prices.
    ljb187 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur M View Post
    Tag heuer. To a lesser extent Omega and Breitling as well. Sometimes even Panerai. But even then they get shocked at the prices involved with these brands.
    I did do a little exercise with one of my friends just this morning. I showed him pictures of a JLC Master Control, Nomos Orion, and Hamilton Intra-Matic and asked him to guess the prices. He guessed $3500, $2000, and $1500 respectively.

Yup. Tag/Omega/B'Ling. They know Citizen & Seiko...but not what I'd call their luxury offerings.

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

When I was a kid my mother used to read Vogue and I used to thumb through it because back in the day they used to occasionally have bare tit on display. Granted, the models were so scrawny sometimes you couldn't even tell, but for square inches of flesh it beat the lingerie ads and the women's section of the Sears catalogue.

Anyway, some fairly high percentage of the ads in Vogue were for über spendy watches and so from a fairly early age I was aware of the upper strata of the watch world, even though I knew relatively little about the watches themselves.
    Roadwriter and chuasam like this.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information