Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Best

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Best

I see many different opinions like:
    What is "high end" for me....
    What is my opinion about this brand....
    Is this a dress watch...

I ask, if may, to give your opinion about the "best", or, if you should have to choose, the only watch. What criteria leads you in definition "the best" watch, the only one, for me. Is it the look, design, movement, brand, popularity, price,...? Some could say that most expensive is the best, someone that Rolex is. What are your thoughts? Which one is your choice?

Re: The Best

Casio F-91

It's hard to choose. But there are a few that if I had to choose I would use as an all around watch. The Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra, Rolex Submariner, Patek Philippe Nautilus. Those would be my choices as they have decent to great water resistance, and can be worn with practically anything. If money were no object, I would get myself a PP Nautilus as that is my grail watch. Right now though in terms of affordable in my current budget, the Aqua Terra is still pushing it a bit for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Best

If you’re looking for technical capability, most sport oriented mechanical watches over $300 will be able to handle pretty much anything you throw at it. Steel is steel, WR is easily obtained, sapphire or mineral, it’s all going to break if you smash it against concrete. Sure you might get better accuracy, higher grade titanium or thicker sapphire, antimagnetism, etc. at higher price points. For everyday use, I’d say in my opinion, one clear point of diminishing returns comes with Rolex, for some it may be lower or higher. But even at that price range there are other factors such as personal design preference that comes into play that make us feel justified in spending thousands on a watch. For a purely technical-capability point of diminishing returns, I’d say Seiko gives you maybe not all, but most of what you need. Other personal preferences will probably cost you more.
    Assuming there are several points of diminishing returns at different price brackets, the “best” watch for me is whichever one brings me closest to the point of diminishing returns that is closest to my watch budget.
    What qualities in a watch those points of diminishing returns entail can vary from person to person.
    Last edited by kalburnfall; July 25th, 2018 at 18:32.

That's pretty much impossible to answer as it's such a wide category. To some people best = most expensive, but if I'm going for a swim I wouldn't want to wear a $2.6m Patek grand complication in the water.

For me, the "best" watch is my Rolex Oyster Perpetual 116000. It can go anywhere, and I could afford it.

99% of my love of watches comes to the design. I don't care if a watch has the most complications, the most exotic metals, highest tolerances, etc. If the watch is ugly, its ugly. I am not going to wear a watch that I don't love the design.

Certain features might push me to buy a watch though. If I have the option of buying the same watch in steel or titanium, I am probably going to get the titanium just because I like the looks of it. Give me the option of buying a watch on a fitted bracelet or strap, I am going to opt for the bracelet.

"The best" is too vague a term to mean anything. The best at timekeeping, the most suitable for x, y or z, the most stylish, the most finely produced etc etc etc an impossible question!

If you were asking "if you could only have one watch what would be your choice" then its a Royal Oak classic for me, it goes with everything and is a comfortable quality wear.
    gangrel likes this.
    AP Royal Oak 14790, VC Overseas Chrono 49140, Rolex Submariner 16610, Omega Speedmaster 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 2561.80, JLC Master Moonphase 18ct white 140.3.98, Longines 1921 Manual wind, Cartier Pasha 18ct Yellow W3004856 , Rolex Extra Prima 9ct 1924, Seiko Cocktail Time SSA345J1

I have a VC Oversea and a AP RO. One is my fave. B/c it is more rugged and more water resistant. The VC--plus it came w/ a bracelet and two straps. How cool is that.

Yep, the term's too nebulous to be meaningful. It's almost as bad as asking what the best beer is.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Good enough to be "better" but falling short of being the "bestest"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information