Best 7750 Still From IWC?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By mav
  • 1 Post By Fenix84
  • 1 Post By U5512
  • 2 Post By stuffler,mike

Thread: Best 7750 Still From IWC?

Best 7750 Still From IWC?

I know the 7750 has legions of haters, but a few of us respect and actually like the cheap workhorse. I had read that IWC used to modify the 7750 to their requirements, then ETA built it to IWC specs only for IWC.
    Is the IWC version of the 7750 the best 7750 version available? Are there others who use a higher-spec or better finished 7750 in their chronograph offerings? Who?

mav

Re: Best 7750 Still From IWC?

I'm not sure if it's the best as I only experienced a few watches with the 7750 personally. But I do know that IWC's modified 7750 had the least rotor noise that the 7750 is infamous for.
    MikeCrunch likes this.
    ♛ Rolex | Ω Omega | IWC | Zenith | Tudor | Seiko
    @aguynamedtommy

The Omega 7750 aka cal. 3330 is pretty good. 52 hr power reserve, free sprung balance, silicon balance spring, coaxial escapement and column wheel. I don't know of any other 7750 as upgraded as that.
    psbero likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix84 View Post
    The Omega 7750 aka cal. 3330 is pretty good. 52 hr power reserve, free sprung balance, silicon balance spring, coaxial escapement and column wheel. I don't know of any other 7750 as upgraded as that.
    Wow, never heard of that one. Went to research it, and of course found the guy who had problems with his 3330-powered Omega. Then someone else chimed in with issues. I started flashing back to the F. Piguet movement that Omega "modified" and called the 3303. Mine was a complete disaster, needing repair four times in the seven years I owned it. But then I bought a Speedmaster with the caliber 1861. Bulletproof, right? Wouldn't you know I got the one that needed three trips to Nesbitt's in Seattle and two trips to Swatch in Secaucus to make it work properly!

Certainly the Universe is trying to tell me (and only me, I am convinced) to STAY AWAY FROM OMEGA! I wonder why, but who am I to question the Universe? Omega seems to be great for the other 99.9%.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
    Wow, never heard of that one. Went to research it, and of course found the guy who had problems with his 3330-powered Omega. Then someone else chimed in with issues. I started flashing back to the F. Piguet movement that Omega "modified" and called the 3303. Mine was a complete disaster, needing repair four times in the seven years I owned it. But then I bought a Speedmaster with the caliber 1861. Bulletproof, right? Wouldn't you know I got the one that needed three trips to Nesbitt's in Seattle and two trips to Swatch in Secaucus to make it work properly!

Certainly the Universe is trying to tell me (and only me, I am convinced) to STAY AWAY FROM OMEGA! I wonder why, but who am I to question the Universe? Omega seems to be great for the other 99.9%.
    WOW....sorry to hear about your issues with Omega watches.

I must belong to the other 99.9% because 2 of my 1861 are running great, as well as the 3301 and 3202 (no date) have been trouble free. KNOCK ON WOOD!!!
    Time Exposure likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Not sure what the best 7750 version is but currently the best modification I know of is...

Name:  CC1C1E84-D48F-48CA-830B-C217AD3541AA.jpeg
Views: 80
Size:  1.65 MB
    Time Exposure and noregrets like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Not sure what the best 7750 version is but currently the best modification I know of is...

Name:  CC1C1E84-D48F-48CA-830B-C217AD3541AA.jpeg
Views: 80
Size:  1.65 MB
    Agreed.

At age 49, there weren’t many chronographs I could read at a glance without glasses. Sold my grail Patek Nautilus chrono because of it. The centrally mounted minutes totalizer changed all that. I have both the Damasko DC80 (with “clean” dial) and the Sinn EZM 10 (with the “cluttered” dial), and they have been a blessing for my now 52 year old eyes.
    Muck as I love and appreciate vintage, I wasn’t prepared to go with a Lemania 5100-powered chrono since the movement has been out of production so long. Plus, I like that the Damasko and Sinn “jump” to the minute instead of a constant progression.

IWC is certainly known for upgrading the 7750, but what exactly they do to it I have no idea. Along with them you've also got Omega's 3330 (as mentioned by Fenix84 earlier) and Longines uses a column wheel equipped 7750 in the Avigation Big Eye.

If you want something a bit more artisanal, there are a few smaller companies who have taken the 7750 and fully skeletonised it and engraved the bridges. Chronoswiss is one such example: Chronoswiss | Watch
    Breitling Navitimer | Omega Speedmaster Professional | Tudor Black Bay | Oris Aquis | Breitling Colt

Thread Information