Best Christmas present ever!
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Best Christmas present ever!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My Dad, who I was very close with, passed away one year ago, and wore this Seiko for as long as I can remember. It was a beat up to the point that he couldnt hardly read it. We all insisted that he get a new watch, but he was stubborn to the point. It was my youngest Daughter who convinced him to get a new watch at the mall, by coning him after a lunch. My father was reluctant, but once he found a new Fossil watch he liked, he bought it, was excited, and started to showed it off to everybody...I was very proud of my Daughter, Courtney.

When he passed, we came across the old Seiko in his dresser. It wasnt running, and was just as beat up as we all knew...the crystal was scratched to the point that you couldnt even make out the day/date on the worn and dirty dials...same for the face. The case and back were worn significantly, and the band was a mess packed with dirt and wear. It seemed a worthless mess to me, but my Daughter said she wanted it to remember him by.

So that brings me to yesterday, Christmas day. Courtney knows I like watches, and surprises me with my Dads old watch meticulously refurbished like new! She said she found an old Russian watch maker who completely restored the watch to like new!

I almost cried.

Anyway, sorry to sound like a sap, and I know its just a run-of-mill Seiko Quartz, but it means the world to me both because it was my Fathers legacy, and my Daughter took the time/effort and thought of giving the best gift I have probably ever received. Thank you Courtney!

Soo...Im interested in getting more information on it, and tried searching the internet to fine out which movement it is and its age, but with no luck. Is there a site or can someone point me in the right direction (if there is one) where I can get that information?

The serial # (I think) is 7N2438 and the case # is 5623-8059.

Thanks all, and Happy Holidays!

Name:  dads_seiko.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  434.4 KB
    Appljaxx, jah, RBrylawski and 16 others like this.

Re: Best Christmas present ever!

While I don't know enough to give you information on it, I will say this. I'm glad you restored it. The watch looks very beautiful, and it's a great way to remember your father. I think your daughter did a very nice thing for you, and had I been in your shoes, I would have cried too.

And there is not such thing as a run of the mill Seiko. All Seikos are special, hand crafted by Japanese elves in Mount Fuji. Ok, maybe I exaggerate a little, but Seikos are very nice and well respected here. I've found even the cheapest Seikos to be bullet-proof. A little cleaning, polishing, and servicing after 20 years, and they are good to go for another 20 years.
    Last edited by American Eagle; December 26th, 2012 at 16:20.
    Hamilton Khaki King
    Hamilton Thin-O-Matic
    Omega Speedmaster
    Rado Diastar
    Seiko 007
    Seiko 5 Military
    Vostok Amphibia

Congratz with your new "old legacy" watch! Looks very nice. And congratulations on such a thinkfull daughter! This is where christmas is about!

Nice x-mas and wear it in good health and pride.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great story. It kinda puts the whole gift giving thing In perspective. Your daughter put a lot of love into a gift to remind you of your fathers love and linking it to your love.

The only bad thing is trying to top it next year.

That's WONDERFUL and every time you wear that watch I hope it brings a smile to your face, reminds you of the great man who gave you life and the incredible daughter who did something truly remarkable and thoughtful! That certainly would have brought a tear to my eye and while you say a "run of the mill Seiko," nothing could be further from the truth. Very Very Nice Indeed!
    Last edited by RBrylawski; December 26th, 2012 at 16:19.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

A beautiful watch and an even better story. That is the definition of 'a keeper'. Congrats.
    As for information on the model ... I've have a few Seikos but I'm no expert. I'd suggest posting on the Seiko forum ... you'll probably have your answer within a hour.
    Rolex 5513 No Date Sub
    Rolex 114270 Explorer

Seiko 7548

It's all to easy to go to the shops and buy relatives, friends, lovers et al something for whatever your pocket can afford. But it takes genuine love and real thought to give a present like that.

It also say a lot that you would post the story as well.

Regards,
    Current Collection
    Patek Philippe – World Time Chronograph – 5930G-001
    Patek Philippe – Annual Calendar 5135G
    Patek Philippe – Aquanaut – 5167a-001
    Patek Philippe – Calatrava – 5196P
    A Lange & Sohne – Datograph
    Breguet – La Tradition - 7037BB/11/9V6
    Breguet – Type XXI Transatlantique Flyback
    Audemars Piguet – Royal Oak -15300
    Jaeger LeCoultre – Grande Reverso Ultra Thin Duoface
    Breitling – Navitimer 46
    Breitling – Transocean Chronograph B01 Ltd Edition
    Rolex – Submariner No Date - 114060
    Zenith – El Primero – 30.0240.410
    Panerai – Luminor PAM 241
    IWC – Portuguese Chronograph
    Omega – Speedmaster (Sapphire Sandwich)
    Omega – Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 43
    Omega – Seamaster Planet Ocean
    Longines – Column Wheel Single Push-Piece Chronograph 180th Anniversary Ltd Edition
    Longines – Master Retrograde Seconds
    Tudor – Heritage Black Bay 79220R Leather
    Meistersinger – Salthora Jumping Hours - SH908
    Tag Heuer – Monaco Calibre 11
    Tag Heuer – Aquaracer Two Tone Quartz

Congrats. I know you'll wear it with pride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really nice story,thanks for sharing. I like that watch, your dad had good taste.

Is it 7n2438 or 7n4238? Either way, that would identify the movement. Quartz. Not much to say about it. It is special but only because it was your Dad's. That's the real 'value' and story about your watch. Enjoy it as much as he did.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information