Best designs by mid-range brand?
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Best designs by mid-range brand?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Best designs by mid-range brand?

I'm new on here and am guessing that this has been raised before, so I apologize in advance, but I'm wondering which mid-range brand you think has the best designs.

If you consider it mid-range -- and I do -- I think it's easily Hamilton. I look at the Hamilton website and just see great design after great design. That's been the case for years with Hamilton. In fact, I think Hamilton is better than most brands that are substantially more expensive. Christopher Ward probably would be my second choice.

Thoughts?

Re: Best designs by mid-range brand?

Rolex. Flexible work/play designs that never seem to go out of style. And are copied endlessly. (or 'homoged' endlessly)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think it obviously depends on how you define "mid-range". I don't see Hamilton and Rolex in the same price category, but that's subjective. My mid-range seems to be the likes of Oris, Longines, B&M, Etc. Personally, the more I see of Oris the more I appreciate their offerings.
    Triton9 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroedout View Post
    I think it obviously depends on how you define "mid-range". I don't see Hamilton and Rolex in the same price category, but that's subjective. My mid-range seems to be the likes of Oris, Longines, B&M, Etc. Personally, the more I see of Oris the more I appreciate their offerings.
    Definitely a lot to like about Oris.

I personally think Tourby's offerings are superb examples of what a brand can do when it has no luxury conglomerate looking over its shoulder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

wschofield3 and Deledda like this.

Sinn
    Victorinox Swiss Army
    Mido
    TAG Heuer

I like designs from brands that have a signature style. Oris for sure. Breitling, Panerai, some GS, throw in Omega for good measure
    Bwana1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    I like designs from brands that have a signature style. Oris for sure. Breitling, Panerai, some GS, throw in Omega for good measure
    I actually like the basic Panerai style. It's very simple, clean and appealing. But I have two problems with Panerai. One, most of their watches are just too big and thick, and that makes them uncomfortable to wear. Two, all of their designs are more or less a riff on the same thing. If you've seen one Panerai, you've seen them all.

The Navitimer is one of the 10 best-looking reasonably attainable watches I've ever seen.
    Dienekes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroedout View Post
    I definitely agree with you that Hamilton and Rolex certainly are not in the same price category as Rolex. Hamilton, Oris, Longines and B&M all have new mechanicals in the sub-$2k range. One would be hard-pressed to find an Omega like that, and a Rolex would be impossible.

Plus, brands like Hamilton, Oris, Longines, Christopher Ward, Tissot and B&M are all basically meant to appeal to the mid-range buyer who wants a nice mechanical watch but doesn't want to spend $5k to $10k for one. These brands may have offerings in that higher price range, but that's certainly not their primary target market. On the other hand, brands like Rolex, Omega, Panerai and Breitling are meant to appeal to people who will spend $5k to $10k on a watch -- or more. These brands are not as consistently expensive as something like Patek or Audemars, but they can have watches in the $50k range. You're either not going to find a Hamilton or Tissot, for example, in that range, or it would be exceptionally unusual.

Rolex has my favourite design. The oyster series is absolutely full of them; Sub, daytona, exp 1, exp 2, etc. Omega is a close second (speedmaster cal 321, SMP 2254.50, Seamaster 300, planet ocean cal. 8500, etc.) In terms of pure number of watches I like the designs of, it's these two brands.

I don't think an individual can choose what is mid range and what isn't. Affordable is subjective, but the tiers aren't. You have just to look at the market place to see who competes with who and the tiers can be deduced. The lines might be grey (longines and oris; lower mid tier or upper low tier?) but the positioning is clear.
    Last edited by Arthur M; August 29th, 2014 at 04:28.
    "Aimez les montres"
    -Philippe Peverelli

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information