Best entry-level non chrono swiss mov't?

Thread: Best entry-level non chrono swiss mov't?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best entry-level non chrono swiss mov't?

So far I think I have built a pretty damn good "bang for you buck" collection consisting of some good japanese mov'ts 6r15, a couple entry level swiss 7750's, and also a couple of the more expensive Orients (which are surprisingly accurate for the money) only thing I am missing is a non chrono swiss mov't and was wondering if you guys could give me a quick and dirty ranking of the entry level swiss mov'ts...I try to stay at a $1,000 budget or less for every watch I own, so what would you guys consider the best overall for a measly 1k budget

thanks in advance

Re: Best entry-level non chrono swiss mov't?

Quote Originally Posted by mngambler View Post
    So far I think I have built a pretty damn good "bang for you buck" collection consisting of some good japanese mov'ts 6r15, a couple entry level swiss 7750's, and also a couple of the more expensive Orients (which are surprisingly accurate for the money) only thing I am missing is a non chrono swiss mov't and was wondering if you guys could give me a quick and dirty ranking of the entry level swiss mov'ts...I try to stay at a $1,000 budget or less for every watch I own, so what would you guys consider the best overall for a measly 1k budget

thanks in advance
    Will you find much more than the ETA 28XX stuff? Most common by far I think is the 2824-2. And then the Unitas ETA 6497/8 handwind which is very popular for certain styles with sub seconds hand at 9 or 6 position.

What kind of styles do you gravitate towards?

Quote Originally Posted by bigvatch View Post
    Will you find much more than the ETA 28XX stuff? Most common by far I think is the 2824-2. And then the Unitas ETA 6497/8 handwind which is very popular for certain styles with sub seconds hand at 9 or 6 position.

What kind of styles do you gravitate towards?
    To be honest I haven't done much research on the 28xx or the 64 series...im assuming those are some of the only options in my price range...depending on the watch brand of course

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Haf

There are other options besides 2824, I'm thinking mainly about Sellita or Peseux for example.

What I think you should do is focus on ETA 2824 powered watches, you have tones of options in your price range. The 2824 is a proven workhorse, comes in various flavors in respect to certified accuracy (it can reach chronometer COSC grade) and it can be easily serviced and regulated by pretty much any watchmaker.

A step above the 2824 is the 2892 movement from ETA, a thinner movement and somewhat more refined than the 2824, but I believe watches powered by this movement are way above your price limit (new state)
    Last edited by Haf; April 4th, 2010 at 21:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Haf View Post
    There are other options besides 2824, I'm thinking mainly about Sellita or Peseux for example.

What I think you should do is focus on ETA 2824 powered watches, you have tones of options in your price range. The 2824 is a proven workhorse, comes in various flavors in respect to certified accuracy (it can reach chronometer COSC grade) and it can be easily serviced and regulated by pretty much any watchmaker.

A step above the 2824 is the 2892 movement from ETA, a thinner movement and somewhat more refined than the 2824, but I believe watches powered by this movement are way above your price limit (new state)

thanks for the info. like I said I'm trying to round out my collection so after buying a 7750, I am now looking to something non-chrono, and yes like you said there is hundreds of options that I now have to sort through, although I'm thinking a nice clean simple pilot style watch might be in order...stowa and hamilton have some nice new models out/coming out

For a hair under $1000 you could get a Stowa Marine Original, which I think is one of the best values out there (it has the Unitas movement). Stowas in general are a superb value (most under $1000), and you can find the Peseux, Unitas, and 2824 in their watches. The 2892 is of course also an excellent movement, if you're looking for something other than the 2824, but it's much harder to find watches under $1000 that have the 2892, as it is considered by many to be more refined than the 2824. I think it depends what you're looking for in the watch - do you want an automatic or manual movement?
    Cheers,
    Greg

v76

You can get the Epos Originale with the 2892.A2 movement - really good deal on that watch (less than $1000). I have a Tissot Carson Mecaline with an ETA 2892, but mine was a limited edition available in Asia, not sure if that model can be found easily. There will be a few watches with the Soprod A10 movement coming out soon. Another thing to wait for is Citizen/Miyota's 9xxx which should also be less than a $1000.

Of course, there are the other options already mentioned - ETA 2824/2834/2836 family, various Sea-gull movements (including the lovely ST19), the robust Poljot 3133, and quite a few others.
    Last edited by v76; April 5th, 2010 at 04:13.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

As the owner of 2824, 2836, and 2892 watches I can honestly say the 2892 just feels worlds ahead. It's so much smoother to wind and in my experience keeps better time (although that's probably due to the regulation of the watch). Keep in mind the lowest 2892 is actually an elabore which is a huge upgrade when compared to the base 2824. You can easily get a 2892 powered watch for WELL under $1000. Look at the discontinued Concord, Ebel, and Maurice Lacroix watches out there. I have bought a few over the past year and am just amazed by the quality per dollar.

NM

Quote Originally Posted by nm4710 View Post
    As the owner of 2824, 2836, and 2892 watches I can honestly say the 2892 just feels worlds ahead. It's so much smoother to wind and in my experience keeps better time (although that's probably due to the regulation of the watch). Keep in mind the lowest 2892 is actually an elabore which is a huge upgrade when compared to the base 2824. You can easily get a 2892 powered watch for WELL under $1000. Look at the discontinued Concord, Ebel, and Maurice Lacroix watches out there. I have bought a few over the past year and am just amazed by the quality per dollar.

NM
    thank you much everyone for the advice, this is exactly the kind of info I am looking for, I am def. not a brand snob, In most cases I could care less for the name on the dial as long as it is built with good fit/finish, looks good, and has an overall "bang for you buck" feel to it...spending hours researching the lesser known brands and finding an awesome watch at a killer price is such an exhilarating feeling that I love.

I completely understand. You won't be disappointed with the brands I've mentioned. My favorite is Maurice Lacroix - I feel the brand may well move up in reputation since it's producing its own movements (and beautiful ones at that). You can pick up one of the Pontos line watches for well under $1000 and believe me you're getting a watch that is every bit as well made as an Omega or Tag.

Cheers
    NM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information