Best field watches for men
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Best field watches for men

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Best field watches for men

rearwindowfan likes this.

Re: Best field watches for men

Pretty good choices, IMHO.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Big fan of field watches... I'd include the breitling colt and colt gmt in that list. A very nice high end field.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If we're talking attractive field-style watches, then it's a decent enough list (although I don't think you can really pick just 5.)

If we're talking watches you would actually take hiking, climbing, into battle, etc, (as the article lead-in seems to indicate) then it's a pretty crummy list. The Timex Exhibition being the only truly practical option. A $7,000 Rolex 1016 that hasn't been manufactured in more than 40 years as an ideal outdoors watch? Really?

In my opinion, the best true field watch is the one you don't mind destroying. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how well-built your watch is – if it smakes into a rock face at high velocity, or a spring bar breaks and it takes a dive off a cliff, it's game over (Well, unless it's a G-shock and assuming you can actually find it again…)

Plus, if I'm out on the trail, the last thing I want to be doing is worrying about damaging my watch, as I most certainly will be if it costs thousands of dollars.
    CSG, Seagull S6, Triton9 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon9999 View Post
    If we're talking attractive field-style watches, then it's a decent enough list (although I don't think you can really pick just 5.)

If we're talking watches you would actually take hiking, climbing, into battle, etc, (as the article lead-in seems to indicate) then it's a pretty crummy list. The Timex Exhibition being the only truly practical option. A $7,000 Rolex 1016 that hasn't been manufactured in more than 40 years as an ideal outdoors watch? Really?

In my opinion, the best true field watch is the one you don't mind destroying. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how well-built your watch is – if it smakes into a rock face at high velocity, or a spring bar breaks and it takes a dive off a cliff, it's game over (Well, unless it's a G-shock and assuming you can actually find it again…)

Plus, if I'm out on the trail, the last thing I want to be doing is worrying about damaging my watch, as I most certainly will be if it costs thousands of dollars.

This. Don't get me wrong - I'd love an Explorer I. However, the perfect field watch is probably plastic, quartz or solar, LCD or simple 24 hour analog dial, costs less than a 100 bucks, doesn't go that well with a Saville Row suit or dinner jacket (in otherwords, fairly ugly looking) and is the very antithesis of the watches discussed 99% of the time on general forum.
    Last edited by WatchObsessed; June 22nd, 2014 at 08:39.

They forgot this one:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    maxpowerman and Rocat like this.
    Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

Quote Originally Posted by BusyTimmy View Post
    They forgot this one:

Another great example of the cruel irony of expensive sports and field watches. The polar Explorer is very cool looking and absolutely calls out to be a travel watch, or an outdoors watch. Unfortunately, with a starting price of around $7,000, it absolutely ensures that if I owned one, I would never, ever use it for any of these things…

CSG

Have to agree with gordon's comment above. My *field* watch is a quartz Wenger that I got at Costco about 10 years ago for $70. But a better watch would probably be a digital G-Shock or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon9999 View Post
    Another great example of the cruel irony of expensive sports and field watches. The polar Explorer is very cool looking and absolutely calls out to be a travel watch, or an outdoors watch. Unfortunately, with a starting price of around $7,000, it absolutely ensures that if I owned one, I would never, ever use it for any of these things…
    I use it for:
    Travel
    Hiking
    Swimming

I'm heading to Iceland next month and I'll be taking probably just this watch.

I'm not rich at all, but this watch demands I wear the crap out of it. It's an honest tool watch. Expensive, yes. But durable and crazy accurate. Crazy good lume and a super useful GMT complication.

Enjoy!

Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

They seems to forget the Lorus,Pulsar or Seiko. Awesome lume and practical use, be it quartz and automatic. The low price also means, if you rough it out, just dump it and buy another one.

Last edited by Triton9; June 22nd, 2014 at 09:32.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information