Best Investment Watch £2000?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Best Investment Watch £2000?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best Investment Watch £2000?

Having just come into a decent amount of money, I figured it would be more sensible to invest in a watch than let the money sit in the bank, seeing as returns could/would be much higher. Looking and asking around, most people iíve talked to have said the Tudor Heritage Black Bay (ETA movement) is my best bet for an investment watch around this price, but are there others I could look at and why?

To be honest, Iím not convinced any watch is a particularly safe bet if viewed merely from an investment point of view.

If you want to make a good return long term I advise placing your money in tax protected index tracker funds.

Having said that, that doesnít answer your question. I agree the Tudor Black Bay and Pelagos ETAs have some potential for growth. A little more left-field might be the Montblanc Heritage Chronomťtrie Ultra Slim.

But I would view any purchase from the point of view that you will personally get enjoyment from its ownership and any investment growth would be a bonus.

Re: Best Investment Watch £2000?

Quote Originally Posted by JackB159 View Post
    Having just come into a decent amount of money, I figured it would be more sensible to invest in a watch than let the money sit in the bank, seeing as returns could/would be much higher. Looking and asking around, most people iíve talked to have said the Tudor Heritage Black Bay (ETA movement) is my best bet for an investment watch around this price, but are there others I could look at and why?
    Watches are very rarely investment worthy, especially at this price point. You're also looking at 600 or so every 5 years for maintenance. Better off investing it in a long term or tax deductable sort of thing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    chuasam likes this.
    Rolex GMT Master II 16710, Rolex Datejust 116223, Zenith 2542, Seiko SKX031, Seiko SKX173

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

£2000 and a watch for investment arenít really suited to the same sentence to be honest. A bank will give you 2.5% interest in your £2000 if you really want to make money annually.
    All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you...

Quote Originally Posted by wonkytrolley View Post
    To be honest, Iím not convinced any watch is a particularly safe bet if viewed merely from an investment point of view.

If you want to make a good return long term I advise placing your money in tax protected index tracker funds.

Having said that, that doesnít answer your question. I agree the Tudor Black Bay and Pelagos ETAs have some potential for growth. A little more left-field might be the Montblanc Heritage Chronomťtrie Ultra Slim.

But I would view any purchase from the point of view that you will personally get enjoyment from its ownership and any investment growth would be a bonus.
    There are that many eta black bays and pelagos about and they might make some money in years to come but not as much as a good savings account would of made him if he put it into that.
    All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you...

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky73 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wonkytrolley View Post

There are that many eta black bays and pelagos about and they might make some money in years to come but not as much as a good savings account would of made him if he put it into that.
    Agreed...or as I suggest...most index trackers will return 5% upwards and if he wraps it in an ISA itíll be tax free. OP wonít get to benefit from the ownership of a nice watch in that scenario, so I guess it depends how much the purchase is about an investment and how much is the desire to own a good watch.

Any watch at this price is a terrible investment. Firstly, almost all will lose value in the short to medium term. Long term nobody knows what will happen to watch prices but right now could be a bubble. Secondly, if you want it to keep some value you will need to spend hundreds of pounds every few years to keep it serviced. Lastly, if you intend to enjoy it for personal use you could damage it and it will lose even more value.

As you have used £s Iíll assume you are in the UK. Best thing you can do with your money in terms of returns is an ISA or voluntary overpayment on your mortgage.

If you absolutely must take a punt on a watch then I think vintage Seiko chronographs are a bargain and may not remain so for long. Itís difficult to find one that isnít a Frankenwatch and has been kept well serviced, and you will have to service it every now and then to make sure it keeps ticking. Long term could still be an awful investment though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like art, don't approach watches as an "investment." Buy what you like and if the watch retains its value, great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know if Jomass.com are reputable sellers looking at a baulme and mercier classima automatic. Thanks

The best investment watch is a $50 Seiko 5. Even if it loses 50% of it's "value" you will only be out of pocket $25 dollars.

But seriously, if you buy a BB, maintain it in excellent condition, in 40 years you'll probably make a buck or two depending on inflation.
    "Nothing happens until something moves." -Albert Einstein
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information