'The best movement in the world' wins advertising award
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 'The best movement in the world' wins advertising award

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Watchuseek Editor

'The best movement in the world' wins advertising award

Further to Ernie’s report on Romain Jerome winning the best watch advertising award campaign for 2013, OMEGA has scooped the award from the same show in the Cyber & Films category. Yes, not content to win awards purely for superlative watchmaking, many Swiss manufactures also vie to win awards for the advertising that promotes their products.

The annual Swiss watchmaking advertising campaign awards recognises the Swiss watchmaking industry’s best achievements in advertising campaigns, with ad campaigns being judged in terms of creativity, spirit of innovation, aesthetics and quality.

This year’s competition attracted a large number of entries from watch brands both well-established and new to the scene. The competition showcases the quality and diversity of advertising ideas which help to create and build a heritage for the top Swiss brands.

The jury met in Lausanne on October 8 to make its decision on the campaigns, and several thousand votes were submitted by the public on Actualité | L'Hebdo.

The Best Watchmaking Campaign Awards were presented at the ‘Watch of the Year’ gala held on Friday, October 25, 2013, before an audience of some 500 watchmaking and communication professionals.

Name:  RJ.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  79.1 KB

As Ernie has reported, in the ‘Print/Poster’ category, the jury awarded the Best Watchmaking Campaign Award to RJ Romain Jerome for the campaign ‘RJ-Romain Jerome invades BSWDN 2013’. It’s the third time in four years that RJ has waled off with the best Watchmaking Campaign Award.

The jury cited the mastery of its typographic work, aesthetics, design, attention to detail, and consistency between the advertising approach and the models being marketed. A contemporary, urban campaign that leaves a lasting impression.

The jury’s choice in the ‘Films & Cyber’ category went to the film ‘Omega Co-Axial’ from Omega. Its winning qualities were artistic creativity, impactful communication, brand territory suitability, expression of brand values through the movement metaphor, and overall high quality execution.

Name:  GP.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  160.3 KB

The online ‘Public Choice’ award went to Girard-Perregaux for its ‘Academy Museum’ campaign.

Visit the Montrespassion website

Re: 'The best movement in the world' wins advertising award

Best, lets decide that in about 40 years.

Are you kidding me!? This is what passes for good advertising these days?! Don't get me wrong to some extent I appreciate the clever use of the different aspects of the movement to create this pseudo earth like (solar-system like) animation...but please give me a break! You think Omeeega is a bit full of itself!? "movements so perfect you'd hardly think they were created by humans"!?

/rant over
    One watch kinda guy
    "My watch does a lot more than just tell the time...
    it tells a life story..."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Like the video, hate the claims

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

RJ deserves to win that. Though they make some truely amazing looking watches, they also make some that are just hideous and that evoke some of the most revolting imagery possible. Take the watch below. I know what the brown bezel isn't made of, but I also know what it looks like.

wuyeah and Fi33pop like this.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

I think it's a great advertisement. Simple idea, but far better executed than most watch advertisements out there and it does a great job of summing up everything the brand is about with the visuals. As for the claim they make in the ad, highly debatable of course. But can you think of a single watch company that doesn't claim they're the best in the history of mankind in their advertisements? At least this ad accompanies the ubiquitous and hardly defensible claim with an artistic show.

It's an ad meant to inspire an appreciation of mechanical watchmaking in the average consumer, and they did a fine job of that. They're not going to win any customers by making an ad that reads like a debate with a watchmaker on the pros and cons of adapting the coaxial escapement for mass production.
    ilitig8, Fi33pop and rfortson like this.

They are all great ads. Has anyone actually encountered one of them in the course of their daily existence? I know I don't recall seeing any of them anywhere, but then I'm not not the type to encounter much that marketers put out unless they present it on airplanes and I have no way to avoid it.

All the best.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Sometimes they exaggerate their claims a bit (a lot), but still, lets face it, Omega's calibre 8508 is by far the best adaptation of ETA movement. All the rest of "luxury" and "premium" watch firms just use pretty much exactly the same slightly decorated ETA movements as everyone else. Boooring. Omega is the only company who adopted different escapement and uses it in a wide range of "affordable" watches. Everyone else who also use some form of other escapement mechanism cost idiotic amounts of money which basically places them in the "they don't exist" zone and are treated as a concept pretty much. And there is the Si14. Yes, many companies claim their springs are not affected by magnetism, but in all reality, they are still greatly affected despite all the anti magnetic shielding and springs that are supposedly magnet proof. Si14 springs have ZERO metals that are even tiny bit affected by magnetism. You can stick it to the strongest magnet you can imagine and it won't go off because of that. I work with speakers a lot and i know how annoying that is where pretty much all speakers these days use neodymium magnets which are one of the strongest there is. Plus, some of the AquaTerra and Planet Ocean designs are just as legendary as Submariner and few other general designs that everyone else want to adopt and copy. And at the same time, despite advertising, Omega somehow just didn't quite yet reached that snob factor Rolex got with extreme advertising and pushing of their brand.

So, all in all, you have to give a proper credit to Omega for use of technology, proper balanced advertising, really nice designs and still keeping the costs within reasonable limits (reasonable being below 15k and still offer a lot more than most of others can). It's no problem to go all mad with tech and give the watch a 7 digit price tag...

So, yeah, Omega watches are pretty high on my grail list and pretty much the only Swiss watch company that i have adored ever since i can remember.
    Hatman14, Fi33pop and rfortson like this.
    It doesn't matter how much the watch costs, it only matters if it makes your heart tick.

Interesting. I was in a movie theatre last weekend and I guess I saw a slight variation of this ad. Instead of saying "the most perfect mechanical watch movement in the world," the narrator said something like "the most perfect mechanical watch movement we've ever produced." The latter seems a lot more reasonable than the former.

All 3 of those above are terrible.

Seriously, what is up with cartoonish skull-faced dials?? Bad enough Bell & Ross does that $#!% (and I like Bell & Ross) but now we have another one jumping on that bandwagon??
    Hatman14 likes this.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information