Best positions for various movements during rest periods.
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Best positions for various movements during rest periods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best positions for various movements during rest periods.

I was wondering if anyone has compiled a list of movements and the best positions to rest the watch to advance of retard the speed. My Railmaster runs about 6 seconds slow per 24 hours and I wanted to know how I should lay the watch while I'm sleeping to help the watch run a little fast to make up for the lost seconds.

Is this different for each specific watch or are there typical positions for individual movements?
    cybercat likes this.

Re: Best positions for various movements during rest periods.

Wow, is this actually case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Set it a minute fast and in 10 days you'll be spot on. In 20 days you'll be a minute slow. Reset and start the 20 day always within a minute exercise anew.

You'll sleep better.
    dub82 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't know that it's different for each watch, but generally speaking, when rested face up or face down, you gain time and on its side, it loses time. Use a time tracking app and experiment for yourself. I have one watch that on the wrist gains about 4 spd. When rested on its side crown down, it loses time. That's how I regulate it to pretty close to 0 spd.

It will vary by watch. Generally, watches run fastest (not necessarily fast) when face up or face down. I'd recommend trying different positions with your watch and seeing what gives you the best results.
    LaneP likes this.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

It depends on the orientation of the balance wheel axis. Most watches have it perpendicular to the face. Face up or down puts all the weight on the itty-bitty spot at the end of the balance staff, minimizing the amount of highly loaded oil and minimizing friction. Pendant whichever puts the weight on the bushings and gets more oil into play, with more friction. That's why amplitudes go down. All else being the same, higher amplitudes are slower. It's possible that some other wear/misalignment issue comes into play when in dial up/down that causes it to load up and decrease the amplitude, but a defect free and well oiled watch runs slowest dial up/down.

I'd lay it on it's side at night and if that doesn't speed it up enough, just make sure it's always on its side when you wear it.
    Last edited by ExpiredWatchdog; March 31st, 2019 at 04:58. Reason: changed "slow down" to "speed up"
    I love the smell of carbamide in the morning, it smells like VICTORY.
    That ain't a double, I just like to stutter.
    Hack a wife's watch, keep her happy for a week, teach her to hack her own watch, keep her happy for life!

Quote Originally Posted by pickle puss View Post
    Set it a minute fast and in 10 days you'll be spot on. In 20 days you'll be a minute slow. Reset and start the 20 day always within a minute exercise anew.

You'll sleep better.
    +1 to this. Simple.
    LaneP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ExpiredWatchdog View Post
    ...a defect free and well oiled watch runs slowest dial up/down.
    Not in my experience. The opposite, in fact.

Every watch will be different so some trial and error is required. Typically, (since nothing is certain except death and taxes) dial up will produce a gain, crown up or crown down will produce a loss. However, this doesn't mean that a particular watch will gain/lose enough overnight to make up for the underlying daily gain/loss.

Here's some useful advice from Rolex:

Image found on the internet:
    Name:  Rolex regulating advice.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  62.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ExpiredWatchdog View Post
    I'd lay it on it's side at night and if that doesn't slow it down enough, just make sure it's always on its side when you wear it.
    OP's watch runs slow. I doubt he'd want it running slower. How do you suggest he wears it always on its side? Maybe he could use an arm sling of some sort...
    LaneP and Bugster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TedG954 View Post
    [FONT="]I was wondering if anyone has compiled a list of movements and the best positions to rest the watch to advance of retard the speed. My Railmaster runs about 6 seconds slow per 24 hours and I wanted to know how I should lay the watch while I'm sleeping to help the watch run a little fast to make up for the lost seconds. [/FONT]

Is this different for each specific watch or are there typical positions for individual movements?
    Each movement is different, there is no definite rule, I would recommend to get and app like watchcheck and let the watch fully wound rest in all six positions, then find out which one is the fastest one.

If you are still satisfied of your Railmaster accuracy the only way is to get it adjusted by a pro or taking the risk and do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
    Each movement is different, there is no definite rule, I would recommend to get and app like watchcheck and let the watch fully wound rest in all six positions, then find out which one is the fastest one.
    I agree with this. Good advice. I do this as well, and though it’s a bit time consuming and tedious, it’s good information to have.

Make sure you’re timing long enough. So for each position, start with fully wound, check its offset after 12 hours, set it back down in the same position without winding it, and time it again at 24 hours. For better sampling, you can do that several times in each position, but I would start with a day in each of the six, checking at full wind -12 hours and then -24. Modern, quality movements are more precise across positions, but positional variance is still usually the biggest +/- for a mechanical watch.

You very well might find one that gains a few seconds or more when off the wrist in a certain position. If so, it’s a great way to balance slight imprecision into net accuracy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information