Best QUARTZ movement and best MECHANICAL movement to date, your opinions please :-)
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Best QUARTZ movement and best MECHANICAL movement to date, your opinions please :-)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Best QUARTZ movement and best MECHANICAL movement to date, your opinions please :-)

Thaught this would be interesting to see which of the above have best survived the test of time (pun intended) and in your opinion which Quartz/Mechanical movement would you consider to be the best

not certain if this counts, but the eta 2892 modification done by ulysse nardin to anchor their gmt/big date line is nothing short of genius, and the eta movement used by breitling, omega, and tag heuer in their ana-digi watches is easily my fave.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Re: Best QUARTZ movement and best MECHANICAL movement to date, your opinions please :-)

Well, as far as quartz goes, you'll have to pick between Citizen's A660 and Seiko's 9F62, IMO. Both feature thermocompensation. The Citizen specs show greater accuracy at + or - 5 seconds per year, and also boasts a longer battery life. But the Seiko isn't too shabby at + or - 10 seconds a year and a 50 year service cycle due to the vacuum sealed cabin protecting the moving parts.

As far as mechanical goes, that gets harder. I think you have to find a watch that strikes the balance between craftsmanship and robustness. I'll throw this out there and say that probably an offering from JLC would be right up there. But then again the Japanese have a nice little history of winning observatory competitions with off the shelf Grand Seikos!
    CitizenM, Zenrag and mitadoc like this.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Best QUARTZ movement and best MECHANICAL movement to date, your opinions please :-)

Passing with an A+, the 'test of time', the AS 1673 in my Lucien Piccard. Quartz - schrug.

Thumbs Up Re: Best QUARTZ movement and best MECHANICAL movement to date, your opinions please :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Caraptor View Post
    Well, as far as quartz goes, you'll have to pick between Citizen's A660 and Seiko's 9F62, IMO. Both feature thermocompensation. The Citizen specs show greater accuracy at + or - 5 seconds per year, and also boasts a longer battery life. But the Seiko isn't too shabby at + or - 10 seconds a year and a 50 year service cycle due to the vacuum sealed cabin protecting the moving parts.

As far as mechanical goes, that gets harder. I think you have to find a watch that strikes the balance between craftsmanship and robustness. I'll throw this out there and say that probably an offering from JLC would be right up there. But then again the Japanese have a nice little history of winning observatory competitions with off the shelf Grand Seikos!
    I am seiko biased and have loved them for years, nice to see you think so too TBH my fathers seikos have all lasted very well and they have been half way around the globe with him in very varied climates even without thermocompensation they have been very reliable and accurate.

ETA 2824 easy gets the mechanical vote. Widely available for service unlike other movement. Reasonable price and proven to be reliable for many years. 28,800bph auotmatic winding, can hack and handwind. Can be certify as COSC, so accuracy is not a problem.
    Last edited by Triton9; February 5th, 2012 at 05:30.
    CCJ likes this.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Passing with an A+, the 'test of time', the AS 1673 in my Lucien Piccard. Quartz - schrug.
    Gotta love them swiss autos but i do think quartz has its place even if you have no preference. im looking forward to some interesting suggestions from people weather its old or new, however yours is truley worthy of the 'test of time' title.

Quote Originally Posted by novedl View Post
    not certain if this counts, but the eta 2892 modification done by ulysse nardin to anchor their gmt/big date line is nothing short of genius, and the eta movement used by breitling, omega, and tag heuer in their ana-digi watches is easily my fave.
    +1 for ana digi, it's amazing to know everything was controlled by its crown.. So Tag F1 chronotimer is on the air right now..
    For mechanical ETA2824-2, may be not the best but reliable and robust.. since i always have good experienced with them..
    just my 2 cent
    ~Jonathan~

| Seiko SKX 779 K1 |
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAB2011.BA0803 | Mido Ocean Star Captain IV | Oris TT1 Diver Date | Seiko SBDC 003 | Oris Aquis Date | Omega Seamaster GMT 2538.20
    | G-Shock AW-590 | G-Shock MTG-1200-1AJF

v76

Citizen cal. A660 and Seiko cal. 452x, respectively.
    Last edited by v76; February 5th, 2012 at 15:04.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Banned

Best QUARTZ movement? Really? The best way to judge is which one's battery lasts the longest. Quartz watches are not horology. They're computer chips that tell time installed in watch cases.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information