Best Solid Silver Watch with band
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By V10K+

Thread: Best Solid Silver Watch with band

Picture Best Solid Silver Watch with band

Recently I have been searching for a solid silver watch with silver band. I came across a few brands (David Yurman, Tiffany & Co, Cartier) but wasn't finding much to my liking. Most of them have the same styling and seem to be from a different era. Today while browsing ebay I came across this watch (62 grams All Solid Sterling Silver Ultra Rare Rado - everyone knows I love Rado's to much):

Ultra RARE All Sterling Silver Vintage Rado Superdeluxe Manual Wind Silver Band | eBay

I ended up making an offer for it and it was accepted. The band and case seem to be in good condition but the marble dial seems to need some touch up. I would love to hear both positive and negative thoughts. I am generally a decade behind most fashion trends (maybe more on this one). This is my first vintage and mechanical watch purchased. I like vintage things but don't like to look to out of fashion (I hope this works in business casual/semi-formal?). Also if anyone wants to comment of what this watch would say about the wearer please do.

Does anyone know if silver scratches faster than steel?
    Rolex OysterQuartz Collection: Rolex DJ OysterQuartz White Roman Dial SS (17000), Rolex DJ OQ White Buckley Jubilee (17014)
    'The OysterQuartz is a True Timeless Masterpiece!'
    Other Watches: Cartier Tank Solo SS, Rado R5.5 White Jubilee, JLC Reverso Squadra White Articulating Rubber Bracelet

"Guard your time before it runs out."

Re: Best Solid Silver Watch with band

Did some more research it turns out that it has Longines movement as there was a likely Rado-Longines collaboration (I don't know much about Longines):

http://www.watchcarefully.com/invent...lverlepor.html

Movement: Hand-wound Rado 847 (Longines cal. L847), 17 jewels, 10.5''', 2.5 mm
    Description: This is a thin and elegant unisex dress watch made by Rado around the early 1980s. It boasts an uncommon array of features not found on many Rado watches. First of these is a very thin case made of sterling silver. The second interesting feature is the elegant white dial with printed Roman numerals. At the time this watch was made, Rado watches commonly used stainless steel cases—many with scratchproof tungsten-carbide bezels—and bold, funky dials with 3-D markers. Relatively few mechanical Rado watches were produced with simple dials and cases made of precious metal.
    The third interesting feature of this watch is the 2.5mm-thick hand-wound movement supplied by Longines. Longines caliber L847 is a very thin and high quality movement. Rado had also used Peseux (now ETA) caliber 7001 in some of their hand-wound dress watches; the reason this high-grade Longines movement was chosen for this model is unknown. No official documentation of cooperative efforts between the two companies at the time is available, though there is speculation among the Rado collector community that a partnership existed, if only as a result of the consolidation of various watchmaking houses into what would eventually become the Swatch Group (including Longines, Certina, Rado, ETA and others). The present example of Rado/Longines cal. L847 is numbered, something only seen previously on chronometer-certified Rado movements. It is assumed that this movement was not submitted for chronometer certification as there are no indications of such on the dial or case.
    Last edited by V10K+; December 27th, 2012 at 07:28.
    Rolex OysterQuartz Collection: Rolex DJ OysterQuartz White Roman Dial SS (17000), Rolex DJ OQ White Buckley Jubilee (17014)
    Other Watches: Cartier Tank Solo SS, Rado R5.5 White Jubilee, JLC Reverso Squadra White Articulating Rubber Bracelet

Quote Originally Posted by V10K+ View Post
    Did some more research it turns out that it has Longines movement as there was a likely Rado-Longines collaboration (I don't know much about Longines):

http://www.watchcarefully.com/invent...lverlepor.html

Movement: Hand-wound Rado 847 (Longines cal. L847), 17 jewels, 10.5''', 2.5 mm
    Description: This is a thin and elegant unisex dress watch made by Rado around the early 1980s. It boasts an uncommon array of features not found on many Rado watches. First of these is a very thin case made of sterling silver. The second interesting feature is the elegant white dial with printed Roman numerals. At the time this watch was made, Rado watches commonly used stainless steel cases—many with scratchproof tungsten-carbide bezels—and bold, funky dials with 3-D markers. Relatively few mechanical Rado watches were produced with simple dials and cases made of precious metal.
    The third interesting feature of this watch is the 2.5mm-thick hand-wound movement supplied by Longines. Longines caliber L847 is a very thin and high quality movement. Rado had also used Peseux (now ETA) caliber 7001 in some of their hand-wound dress watches; the reason this high-grade Longines movement was chosen for this model is unknown. No official documentation of cooperative efforts between the two companies at the time is available, though there is speculation among the Rado collector community that a partnership existed, if only as a result of the consolidation of various watchmaking houses into what would eventually become the Swatch Group (including Longines, Certina, Rado, ETA and others). The present example of Rado/Longines cal. L847 is numbered, something only seen previously on chronometer-certified Rado movements. It is assumed that this movement was not submitted for chronometer certification as there are no indications of such on the dial or case.
    Interesting, thanks for sharing.
    Collection:
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    JLC Deep Sea Chrono
    Breguet Marine Grande Date
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That is a very unique Rado. Absolute beauty...congrats!
    Hamilton Khaki King
    Hamilton Thin-O-Matic
    Omega Speedmaster
    Rado Diastar
    Seiko 007
    Seiko 5 Military
    Vostok Amphibia

The quality of the logines movement jutifies the purchase of the watch. The Longines 847 being miles ahead the eta peseux 7001 in terms of quality fit, finish and accuracy.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Forgive me I was mistaken about my watch . I have the Peseux 7001 movement. I got confused when looking up the model (vintage models are hard to google properly and I am still learning about watch movement).

I think the price is reasonable considering the condition it is it in. The band is directly attached to the watch and most of them break at that point due to wear (maybe that's why no one makes silver case and bands anymore). It would have been nicer had the dial not had issues but I can replace it if it really bothers me.

The only other solid silver case watch that interest me are the Omega De Ville which has a nice band and ok face or a Rolex Torneau (both are really hard to come by especially in mens size with silver band in like new condition). I imagine most people wore them and broke their bands and lost their watches. I haven't seen any other solid sterling silver watches with bands that don't look to artsy or vintage. Even the Rado seems to vintage but I'm hoping it looks better in person.

This is one 'precious metal' purchase I can get behind. I cannot see wearing a gold watch because it appears pretentious at best and gaudy at worst and often some of both. Additionally, you have to be perpetually worried about knicking it scratching it, etc. Solid gold because you spent so much you are married to it, plated because you will one day have spots. But a solid silver watch, now that's an idea. If comes in at a price you can afford, it does not stand out like a sort thumb, many observers will assume it is stainless steel unless they get up close to it. And the fact that it is silver makes it unique and is fitting for dress watch.

The fact that this has a Longines movement is icing on the cake. Congrats on an inspired choice.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

That is a really cool find. It will look great in a dressy situation for sure. I know you have a phobia about scratches from reading your posts. Silver is a very soft metal, so to answer your question, yes, it will be easy to scratch. But it can be easily buffed by a jeweler if/when you do scratch it.

Again, great find and I hope you'll post more pictures when you get it.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

That is quite a pretty dial. I don't think I've ever seen a marble dial before. If you want to have that dial restored, you will need to do your research to send it to someone who is very good. There are a few of them out there.

Lovely piece. It will scratch easy.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

If you restore the dial then see the value plummet if you ever want to sell.

WIS like original even if a bit damaged.
    Current Collection
    Patek Philippe – World Time Chronograph – 5930G-001
    Patek Philippe – Annual Calendar 5135G
    Patek Philippe – Aquanaut – 5167a-001
    Patek Philippe – Calatrava – 5196P
    A Lange & Sohne – Datograph
    Breguet – La Tradition - 7037BB/11/9V6
    Breguet – Type XXI Transatlantique Flyback
    Audemars Piguet – Royal Oak -15300
    Jaeger LeCoultre – Grande Reverso Ultra Thin Duoface
    Breitling – Navitimer 46
    Breitling – Transocean Chronograph B01 Ltd Edition
    Rolex – Submariner No Date - 114060
    Zenith – El Primero – 30.0240.410
    Panerai – Luminor PAM 241
    IWC – Portuguese Chronograph
    Omega – Speedmaster (Sapphire Sandwich)
    Omega – Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 43
    Omega – Seamaster Planet Ocean
    Longines – Column Wheel Single Push-Piece Chronograph 180th Anniversary Ltd Edition
    Longines – Master Retrograde Seconds
    Tudor – Heritage Black Bay 79220R Leather
    Meistersinger – Salthora Jumping Hours - SH908
    Tag Heuer – Monaco Calibre 11
    Tag Heuer – Aquaracer Two Tone Quartz

Thread Information