BEST Watch between $4000 and $5000
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: BEST Watch between $4000 and $5000

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

BEST Watch between $4000 and $5000

Hey Everyone.. I'm going to be buying a slightly used watch between 4 and $5000
    I know this is a broad question and that there are countless choices in this price range.. I am a 22 year old guy and will be wearing this watch to restaurants and parties. I want it to be somewhat modern and stylish.. but at the same time be a great brand which will retain value.. My choices for now have been Rolex, Panerai, and IWC...

OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS

Thanks

v76

Re: BEST Watch between $4000 and $5000

1. Type of watch (dress, diver, pilot, etc.)?
    2. Size of watch?
    3. In-house movement important to you?
    4. Want something easily recognizable, or would prefer something from a brand only a WIS would know?
    etc. ...
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

I have always had an affinity for the PAM088

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

v76

My first suggestion -
    Zenith El Primero Chronomaster (cal. 410)

chronograph, complete calender, moonphase. Can be had pre-owned under $5000, but is about 39 mm dia (excluding crown) ...
    Last edited by v76; April 8th, 2010 at 21:23.
    Collection:

Type of watch is sort of open although nothing too dressy like an F.P Journe or Patek
    Size would be between 40mm and 44mm
    In house isnt soo important but is nice..
    4. Dont care as long as i like it

Thank You

I'm a bit skeptical of zenith considering their used prices are pretty low compared to msrp..
    Maybe this is just my opinion but a few of there models strike me as very pretentious..
    Ill look around though.. Thanks

v76

One of the major reasons for the discrepancy between MSRP and resale price in the past is that the future of Zenith was uncertain in the period from the mid '70s to the mid '90s when they were shuttled between Movado, Zenith Electronics and LVMH. It wasn't sure whether the company would be closed down during that period and lack of spare parts/servicability was always a scare. Even till a few years back it wasn't certain whether LVMH would keep Zenith (or sell to another group). Things have been a bit confused on the design front as well, hopefully that will change soon with Dufour taking such an active interest in Zenith as a true "manufacture".

The period between the '30s and the '50s were the salad days for Zenith when they bested all-comers in the then-popular observatory/chronometry timing competitions. Omega and later Longines would supercede Zenith's hegemony in that sphere. The El Primero is one of the finest automatic chronograph movements available even today (perhaps with the exception of some Breguet, F. Piguet and GO calibers), over 40 years after its introduction. The calibers 670, 680 (one of the thinnest auto calibers, one JLC caliber is thinner) and their derivatives are no slouches either.

There are definitely quite a lot of options for you - other than Zenith, I would look at pre-owned Glashutte Originals, Jaeger-LeCoultres, Girard-Perregaux and IWC.
    Collection:

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Simply put, I wouldn't. Not for that price, not at your age (unless your fantastically wealthy). Get something nice, but less expensive. An Omega, a nice Hamilton, a Baume and Mercier, a Tag. See what you like. See if you're into watches at all.

If you're insistant on spending that kind of cash buy a Rolex - something like an explorer or a datejust or a Submariner. That way, when and if you decide you'd rather have the cash you can quickly sell it for not a lot less than you paid.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Imho there is no "best"..... Go for the watch you like best.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Being stylish is about doing/wearing whatever you like regardless of the opinions your choices may generate. Asking people to make the choices for you is about as far away from having 'style' as you can get.

My advice: walk into several jewellers and see what takes your fancy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information