Best Way to Mail a Watch?

Thread: Best Way to Mail a Watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best Way to Mail a Watch?

Okay, we've read and winced at all the horror stories of watches getting lost or stolen....let's hear what in your opinion is the best way to mail a watch, and why. Which carrier? How do you insure? Differences between national and international, etc. Spill....
    Last edited by LouS; May 13th, 2010 at 01:59.

Re: Best Way to Mail a Watch?

use one of these stickers.

::The Rotation::
    Rolex GMT Master IIc . IWC Fliegeruhr Mark XVI . Omega Electric Blue Seamaster x2 (his and hers) . Sinn 657 S . UZI Guardian on Velcro Strap . Casio G-Shock G-7800B-1DR + GW-5000 + GW-7900B + GWX-56GB + F91W + DW-6900MS . Benarus Remora Sapphire Bezel . Fossil Maddox Shrouded Lug Diver . Tag Heuer Formula1 Grande Date . Bernardt Binnacle Anchor . Swiss Legend Conqueror . Citizen Signature Perpetual Diver . Timex Military Expedition T498789J

Member Horological-psychologist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LouS View Post
    Okay, we've read and winced at all the horror stories of watches getting lost or stolen....let's hear what in your opinion is the best way to mail a watch, and why. Which carrier? How do you insure? Differences between national and international, etc. Spill....
    I think that the best two ways are UPS and the USPS insured: UPS will cost you an arm and a leg. I once shipped a watch to Switzerland without box and papers and it was over $100. The USPS is tricky as Express Mail and Priority have loop holes; their best method is registered mail insured. They'll insure watches and jewelry for up to $30,000.

C. Soler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 00Photo View Post
    use one of these stickers.

LOL

yup, that's the best way to do it!

I recently shipped my dad's Rolex from North Carolina to Texas for restoration. The watchmaker instructed me to double box it and send it via UPS, overnight express, insured. A package sent overnight express actually passes through fewer hands than a package sent ground. UPS won't leave an insured package without a signature. Yes, it was expensive: $122 USD.

Jeannie

Quote Originally Posted by GinGinD View Post
    I recently shipped my dad's Rolex from North Carolina to Texas for restoration. The watchmaker instructed me to double box it and send it via UPS, overnight express, insured. A package sent overnight express actually passes through fewer hands than a package sent ground. UPS won't leave an insured package without a signature. Yes, it was expensive: $122 USD.

Jeannie
    One doesn't look at the price for a legacy Rolex I think...

USPS priority flat rate box nsured for domestic.

certified mail for international. The insurance max. is very low, but if you package correctly- then the biggest concern is that it gets to its destination.

For me in the US it's USPS Express Insured for my watches up to 5 grand, but after speaking with some good watch friends, who happen to be dealers, I am now looking into parcelpro. You do not have to own a business, they insure for less than USPS, you ship FedEx and get their near 40% discount, seems like the logical upgrade on shipping for me.
    "Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat"

Believe it or not, bubble wrap emits a corrosive gas! We found this out in the military and stopped using it to wrap weapons for shipment. I don't store anything in bubble wrap any more, or ship anything in bubble wrap. I found this out by reading an article in PS magazine, the US Army's magazine for preventive (maintenance) services.

usps express next day plus insurance. overnight is the best way for me. the longer it takes for the package to get there, the more chance it gets stolen or lost.
    --AC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information