Best way to polish mirror finish titanium

Thread: Best way to polish mirror finish titanium

Best way to polish mirror finish titanium

I have a titanium bracelet on my Tissot PR 50.

As is commonly known titanium scratches much easier than SS.

I have rebrushed the satanised/burshed sections of the bracelet with an ink eraser and it worked well.

Is it possible to repolish the mirror finish parts to remove all the swirls?

Thanks

Banned

Re: Best way to polish mirror finish titanium

Titanium being slightly softer than steel, you need to use some ultrafine polishing paste. I would go to a jeweller that does alternations, they have those pastes and polishes.
    Being a dentist we use the same stuff to buff upp crowns after we adjust them.
    The wheel/pastecarrier is usually lambs wool, you apply the paste on it.
    A rubber wheel can also be used, but can overheat the metal if care is not used.

Titanium will oxidize quickly, it will dull the finish somewhat. You can not avoid that, I am sorry to say!

I used a cape cod cloth on the polished bits of my seiko landmaster titanium. It works better than the micro-abrasive cloths for polished titanium, in my experience. In fact, one of those micro-abrasive cloths left some very fine swirl marks on my watch that I'll need to get re-finished

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Cape Cod cloth for mirror Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Titanium being slightly softer than steel, you need to use some ultrafine polishing paste. I would go to a jeweller that does alternations, they have those pastes and polishes.
    Being a dentist we use the same stuff to buff upp crowns after we adjust them.
    The wheel/pastecarrier is usually lambs wool, you apply the paste on it.
    A rubber wheel can also be used, but can overheat the metal if care is not used.

Titanium will oxidize quickly, it will dull the finish somewhat. You can not avoid that, I am sorry to say!

As I recently observed in another thread, there are many different stainless steels (composition, heat-treatment etc) and, similarly, many different titanium alloys and treatments, so I don't think you can generalize. I've got a Breitling Aerospace that's made of titanium and it's a sort of greyish brushed surface. It has a few scuffs and minor scratches and they yield reasonably easily to the application of a Bergeron No 2834 C brush. It takes a little time, but it works.

I also have a titanium Citizen Chronomaster whose case is polished to a mirror finish. It has some very fine "dull" areas on one flank and I haven't found anything that will touch them. The material seems to be glass-hard and I can't imagine how I managed to make them dull. There are also some scratches on the bezel and I'm not even going to try to deal with them. The bezel is a conical surface and even if I found something that would polish it, the conical shape would be ruined, so I'll wait till I send the watch back to Mr Citizen for a new battery and ask them to refinish the watch and, if necesary, replace the bezel. At the same time, while some types may oxidize quickly, I don't think it's true of all types.

There must be polishes, rouge, Simicrome or something, that will work on even Citizen's titanium, but I don't know what it is. Anyway, the point is that there are many different "stainless steels" and equally, many different "titaniums".

Thread Information