The best and worst of Basel 2019
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: The best and worst of Basel 2019

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Sponsor Timeless Luxury Watches's Avatar

The best and worst of Basel 2019

Just curious, what watches, and what brands, did you think did best and worst this year?

Re: The best and worst of Basel 2019

Oris came out on top for the best, and Zenith hit gawdawful rock bottom for the worst--for me at least.

No idea. Patek won I guess. Then worse is probably Tudor.

All I know is it was pretty disappointing, even more so than the Code 11:59.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

For me the best would have to be the stainless steel GS with the power reserve on the back. Granted it’s expensive, but it paves the way for future releases.

There is a lot of negativity concerning GS’s increased prices and Rolex’s release of a bicolor Seadweller and the ever increasing scarcity of their sports models. To me, these type of moves by luxury brands, emphasizes that they themselves don’t view their products as tools anymore, but rather as jewelry with which individuals adorn and distinguish themselves. Cause the truth of the matter is that traditional watches no longer have a place in the world in the tools department. Wearables, smart watches and diving computers are far better suited for that purpose.

I guess the message that luxury brands are conveying is; we produce luxury goods for wealthy people that want to distinguish themselves. We’ve chosen exclusivity over quantity and availability. If on the lookout for a tool watch, then go buy a wearable, smartwatch or SKX.

I can understand people’s displeasure with these brands, but in all honesty this course is pivotal for luxury watch brands long term survival. The traditional luxury wrist watch has evolved from tool to functional jewelry. Precious metals, gems, price increases and scarcity are all a byproduct of that. The metamorphosis is complete.

I felt Seiko did quite well too. Unfortunately, none were to my taste due to size or material choices but I could see that they were quality pieces.

I’m going to probably put Oris on top, just for the 2 blue Aquis alone. On the bottom? I hate to say it but probably Tudor. They didn’t do anything exciting or even appealing.
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

I think that the technical vanguard was displayed by Rolex who managed to take an existing bracelet and an existing watch head and put them together. They had to drill some new holes to make it all fit! Miraculous work, indeed.
    Patek showed that for a price, they can do things. Again, remarkable stuff that will surely be appreciated by even the most simple of watch wearers.

But then Seiko and Zenith and Oris just introduced a bunch of new models. Booooooring.
    Stephan Kudoke might as well have just resigned his independent shop and taken a position as buckle polisher at Christopher Ward.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

^lol
    Last edited by Barge; March 28th, 2019 at 10:53. Reason: double
    Alpina, Frederique Constant, Girard-Perregaux, Glycine, Mido, NORD Zeitmachine, Omega, Oris, Poljot, Seiko, Swatch, Tissot, Tutima, Ulysse Nardin, Zenith

Best: Urban Jorgensen One GMT.

Worst: Bulova Computron LED I am sure there are others but I don't have photos of them.

The worst was really the Swatch group. They had nothing to show for themselves. They need to come out with something big and soon. Just showing retailers and creating no energy, sounds like a great recipe. But They have long mastered boring.
    brandon\ likes this.
    Alpina, Frederique Constant, Girard-Perregaux, Glycine, Mido, NORD Zeitmachine, Omega, Oris, Poljot, Seiko, Swatch, Tissot, Tutima, Ulysse Nardin, Zenith

Quote Originally Posted by Barge View Post
    The worst was really the Swatch group. They had nothing to show for themselves.
    Eh?
    Not sure if serious.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information