Best for a youth ...

Thread: Best for a youth ...

Question Best for a youth ...

Need a recommendation here for Xmas.

Bought my son the skx013 which he loves. As much as we like the autos it isn't keeping 'good time' and after a few days off he needs to set the time again. I'm looking for a quartz military or pilot style with plastic straps and a ~37mm dial. Price point of ~$60.

Thoughts?

Re: Best for a youth ...

If I had a son, I would look at Timex Weekenders (35mm) or Expeditions(40mm). You can find them on a variety of straps and they sure won't break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by silenius View Post
    Need a recommendation here for Xmas.

Bought my son the skx013 which he loves. As much as we like the autos it isn't keeping 'good time' and after a few days off he needs to set the time again. I'm looking for a quartz military or pilot style with plastic straps and a ~37mm dial. Price point of ~$60.

Thoughts?
    The criteria is very limiting. However, there are some masculine looking women's watches that fit what you are looking for.

Swiss Military Calibre Women's 06-6T1-04-007 Trooper Black Dial Canvas 24-Hour Date Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

H2X Women's SN382DN1 Reef Luminous Water Resistant Black Soft Rubber Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

This one is a bit big
    a_line Women's 20050-BK-SL Amore Chronograph Silver Dial Black Aluminum Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Crooner1 View Post
    If I had a son, I would look at Timex Weekenders (35mm) or Expeditions(40mm). You can find them on a variety of straps and they sure won't break the bank.
    I agree with the Expedition recommendation, but you can get smaller ones, again if you are willing to look at "women's" styles.

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Womens-T49856-Expedition-Leather/dp/B004VRD5DW/

If you have trouble finding a good watch, you can always buy him a full set of watch tools Or pay for timeZone school!

Since he loves autos you should pay to get a regulation done on the movement. Seiko 7S calibres are unadjusted and unregulated for isochronism out of the factory, and most of my 7S (and 4R/6R) derivatives run 15 seconds fast a day pretty constantly before regulation. A good watchmaker should be able to get that down to 5-10 seconds variation per day, which is good enough of an accuracy. Or if you've got a timegrapher you can always do it yourself.

Go with a Fossil. Quartz will not have trouble keeping time. The brand is trendy among youth. They offer a wide variety of appearances.

If you decide to spend a little more, I would go with a Citizen Eco-Drive BM8180-03E
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

Thread Information