Better Safe than Sorry
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Raza
  • 1 Post By WillyLix
  • 1 Post By Perseus

Thread: Better Safe than Sorry

Better Safe than Sorry

So I'm about to start wearing my graduation gift (Tag Heuer Link Auto Chrono, Cal. 16), which is my first mechanical. I just wanted to ask a few questions to the experts here to make sure I don't break it in the first week haha.

1. I know it's an auto, but if I find that it has stopped moving, should I wind it just a little bit before I put it on and let the movement do its thing, or fully?
    1.1 How do I know if it's fully wound? I don't want to overwind it, if that's possible.

2. I've read a lot about magnetization. Without getting too specific, what are some dos and don'ts of putting my Tag on or near items like smartphones, iPads, fridges, etc. / how close is too close?

3. At night when I take it off, should I place it face-up? crown up? does it even matter?

Any other tips for a newbie would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Name:  CJF2150.BB0595.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  48.5 KB

Inactive

Re: Better Safe than Sorry

This is just general advice and holds for all auto's:

1. I know it's an auto, but if I find that it has stopped moving, should I wind it just a little bit before I put it on and let the movement do its thing, or fully?
    Do either:
    pick it up , adjust it and wear it - it will start within a few seconds and will go on to start 'charging(winding) the spring with normal use.

...or wind it a little, adjust it and wear it.
    Just the movement involved in picking it up will usually start it though

1.1 How do I know if it's fully wound? I don't want to overwind it, if that's possible.
    I thought you were only gonna wind it 'a little bit' lol

2. I've read a lot about magnetization. Without getting too specific, what are some dos and don'ts of putting my Tag on or near items like smartphones, iPads, fridges, etc. / how close is too close?
    If it's any sort of decent watch it'll be protected against small magnetic fields like the aforementioned 'risks' the bigger risks are from the larger fields from around speakers... or close to the motor for instance on a fridge. or anything with a big electric motor really.

Key is strength and distance, small strength you can be closer without problems.
    Don't get paranoid about it though, it can be reversed if you did happen to magnetise it.

3. At night when I take it off, should I place it face-up? crown up? does it even matter?
    It doesn't even matter ... although you *will notice a small/slight change in timekeeping accuracy in whichever position you choose, not enough to call the timekeeping police about though
    I'd be more concerned about avoiding scratching it on a hard/dusty/gritty surface, if it cost you a fair bit, put it on something soft

Just get on with enjoying it most of all
    Last edited by watchma; August 31st, 2012 at 20:06.

Every night, I set my watch on my bedside table next to a Macbook Pro and an iPhone. No problems with magnetizing yet.
    CitizenM likes this.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jxu101 View Post

Any other tips for a newbie would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
    1.0) You do not have to wind it fully, just until it starts and then you wear it.

1.1) You won't overwind it. Without getting into the mechanics, modern day automatics have a clutch system so when the spring is fully wound the winding mechanism slips, therefore it should not damage a thing.

2) Keep it off of speakers and computer monitors.

3) However you want; the difference is negligable.

Other tips: Don't punch someone with it on; the possible damage to the movement is greater then you would think.
    "I only want to know people who are dynamic, intelligent and totally insane"

Consider if you really want a two-toned watch, the style is dated and may not always suit someone in their 20's

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Daily Wear: Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes 40mm
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005; Apple Watch Series 4 GPS 40mm

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by portauto View Post
    Consider if you really want a two-toned watch, the style is dated and may not always suit someone in their 20's
    You missed the fact that he was gifted it

I would worry about the magnetization. Just a little wind before putting it on if you want, and you're good to go!
    CitizenM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by watchma View Post
    You missed the fact that he was gifted it
    Your Avatar never seemed more appropriate!
    watchma likes this.

There was a post around here a couple of months ago about how an iPad smart cover can magnetize a watch (there was even a pic of the iPad with the smart cover actually sticking to a fridge all on its own), so beware of that.

Thread Information