Beware even Top-Rated sellers on E-Bay. I almost got sucked in. Is this a scam?

Thread: Beware even Top-Rated sellers on E-Bay. I almost got sucked in. Is this a scam?

Beware even Top-Rated sellers on E-Bay. I almost got sucked in. Is this a scam?

I was taken aback and have reported this to E-Bay.
    I had been interested in this watch for a while. I watched the auction for a while, but missed out on the last hour and did not bid.
    Parmigiani Fleurier 18K WG Tonda XL Men's Automatic - eBay (item 280633455742 end time Mar-02-11 17:59:34 PST)

This is a private auction, meaning the bidders identities are hidden. There is 1 loophole. On the I-phone mobile e-bay, it DOES show the last bidders name. Well, this auction ended at $7105, and the winner was n**i(11).

Then to my surprise 1 day later the exact same watch was relisted!
    Parmigiani Fleurier 18K WG Tonda XL Men's Automatic - eBay (item 300533947537 end time Mar-13-11 19:25:05 PDT)

I emaild the seller, and he said it was relisted due to non-payment. After 24 hours? Now guess what? The high bidder? n**1(11) !!!!!!!! The same guy who he said did not pay.

What could this be other than a scam?
    I CAN AFFORD IT, I AM JUST LOOKING FOR A DEAL!!!!!!!

Re: Beware even Top-Rated sellers on E-Bay. I almost got sucked in. Is this a scam?

Shill bidding?

Banned

Re: Beware even Top-Rated sellers on E-Bay. I almost got sucked in. Is this a scam?

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Shill bidding?
    I'd bet it is. Since eBay changed the rules on showing bidder's screen names crap like this happens all the time. Report it just to get it on record even though eBay won't do a freakin' thing about it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CUSO View Post
    I had been interested in this watch for a while. I watched the auction for a while, but missed out on the last hour and did not bid.
    Parmigiani Fleurier 18K WG Tonda XL Men's Automatic - eBay (item 280633455742 end time Mar-02-11 17:59:34 PST)

This is a private auction, meaning the bidders identities are hidden. There is 1 loophole. On the I-phone mobile e-bay, it DOES show the last bidders name. Well, this auction ended at $7105, and the winner was n**i(11).

Parmigiani Fleurier 18K WG Tonda XL Men's Automatic - eBay (item 300533947537 end time Mar-13-11 19:25:05 PDT)

I emaild the seller, and he said it was relisted due to non-payment. After 24 hours? Now guess what? The high bidder? n**1(11) !!!!!!!! The same guy who he said did not pay.

CUSO,

For the last few months I'd been trying to sell an 18K Patek Philippe ladies watch. During the last couple of bidding cycles, I got a winning bid... only to receive a suspicious buyer/bidder alert email from eBay within the next 24 hours of each one explaining that they had cancelled the transaction. Something is indeed rotten in the Bay.
    Mark
    ------------------------
    Casio AE2000W-1AV
    Citizen Promaster SST JW0097-54E
    Croton Men's Skeleton Watch Circa 1990

Shill bids.
    Seller has a second (or more) ebay account and hes bidding up his auctions with it. Hes hoping to get into a bid-war with an honest buyer (victem) and drive up the price.

Good that you reported it to ebay. Ebay will not do anything, since they take a percentage of the final auction ending price, so its to their benefit to allow shill bids.

I have bought over 200 items on ebay, Its a haven for scams so I generally do not use it any more. It used to be fun in the late 90s bidding on stuff. It was more of a "pure" used item market (flea market if you will), than it is today.
    Last edited by kramer5150; March 10th, 2011 at 05:40.

It may not be a shill bid but the opposite, another seller of a similar item creating a fake account to win the watch so that genuine bidders bid on theirs. I've had this happen to me a couple of times when selling mobile phones.
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

They need to pay a fee if bidding is successful,right? Wouldn't it suck them dry?
    " One Watch to rule them all, One Watch to find them. One Watch to bring them all and the darkness bind them. "

Quote Originally Posted by CUSO View Post

Most likely it's shill bidding by a seller who is avoiding Ebay reserve fees. There are a couple of well known very high volume Ebay watch sellers based in Asia that do the same thing. Ebay gets excited every once on a while and suspends them for 30 days, but never shuts them off completely. Too much money involved. Is it an oily dishonest practice - sure. If you can set that aside and believe the watch is real then just bid what you think is a good price. I've done it a couple of times with those asian sellers and gotten nice watches at a more than fair price. Just realize that you will never get a steal because you are bidding against automated shills.

definitely looks like shill-bidding ...

and being wary of top rated sellers on ebay is good sense still, great feedback doesnt mean much anymore
    that goes for both seller and buyer (since sellers cant leave negative feedback on buyers anymore)

Thread Information