To bezel or to not bezel

Thread: To bezel or to not bezel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

To bezel or to not bezel

I know it's been talked about, especially when it comes to dive watches. But I love to hear from fellow WIS.

Over the years I have moved away from the bulkier looking external bezels.

Don't get me wrong, I understand rotating bezels have their place. Throw a Planet Ocean at me and I will not scoff! Heck throw a Seiko Monster at me and I will wear it with pride. It is just from an aesthetic point of view, I find the lack of the external bezel to make a watch look sleeker, may hap a bit more classically stylish.

Maybe it is just my age, and not having the need for "sporty" any longer.

What is your preference....and why, when it comes to rotating external bezels? Feel free to use a pic or two of your preference.

Borrowing a pic from the net, as mine won't be here till next week. Classic look, not to sporty, not to thick. I think an external bezel on this piece would throw off the balance for me. Maybe make it a little too...busy.

Time is relative.

Re: To bezel or to not bezel

I certainly agree that some bezels are too "in your face," but many watches get them just right. I love the internal bezels of the Maurice Lacroix Pontos S Diver and the Longines Legend Diver, and I love the external bezel of my inexpensive Seiko SNZH53:

Name:  photo (7) - resize.JPG
Views: 494
Size:  156.6 KB

Watches with no rotating bezel (such as the one you show) are cool, too. Just personal taste, I imagine.

Watches with no rotating bezel (such as the one you show) are cool, too.
    I agree.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One of my favorite part of wearing a watch is being able to time things. So almost all of mine have an internal or external bezel. That said, I have seven internal bezel watches so I certainly appreciate your desire for a sleek case.
    I have a problem.

Seiko MM300 | IWC Aquatimer | JLC Navy Seals Alarm | JLC Deep Sea Chrono | Cartier Calibre Diver | JeanRichard Terrascope(s)

It took me a fair while of virtual shopping, but I think I've decided they aren't really for me. I understand there is almost a tradition now (James Bond, Rolex ads etc) of considering bold, sporty watches as glamorous and even stylish, and I concede there is some practicality to a really robust watch, but it still feels to me a little like a city slicker driving a chromed-up Humvee. It will never see the conditions it was originally intended for, so it is a pretender, or at best a fashion statement.

Having said that, all watches are a mixture of practical features and style elements borrowed from outside the purely necessary. Everyone has their own comfort level with borrowed style - I've realised I'm pretty conservative, but I do like some element of masculine 'action' and dare I say, some slight 'bling' so I finally ordered this Certina Chrono as my first 'real' watch for daily wear:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  198.9 KB

Some will find it too conservative, others will find it too flashy. For me it feels about right. I like the stainless bracelet and black dial. I'll use the chrono very occasionally, but only because it's there - mainly I like the look of a chrono and the demonstration of mechanical gadgetry. I'll never use the tachy, but it's under the crystal so it doesn't make the same statement as if it had its own bezel.

A chunky dive bezel would just be too bold and irrelevant for me.
    Last edited by Fermenter; June 22nd, 2014 at 03:44.

I am generally not a fan of external bezels but I do like this one that I recently acquired.

I much prefer the internal bezel. Even something crazy like this:

The vast majority of my watches do not have a rotating bezel at all.

Here is one I would love to have:

I think that you have it down. External bezels are much about a sporty look. If you prefer a more conservative look then choose a non bezel. I am older and retired; Yet, I dig the sporty and casual diver as the watch I mostly wear.

Quote Originally Posted by dalto View Post
    I am generally not a fan of external bezels but I do like this one that I recently acquired.

I much prefer the internal bezel. Even something crazy like this:

The vast majority of my watches do not have a rotating bezel at all.

Here is one I would love to have:

I love that Nomos.
    Time is relative.

How about this awesome combo of knurled bezel with internal rotating bezel :

And the Pontos Diver indeed gets it absolutely right :

Quote Originally Posted by monza06 View Post
    How about this awesome combo of knurled bezel with internal rotating bezel :

And the Pontos Diver indeed gets it absolutely right :

I agree the Pontos is best of both worlds.
    Time is relative.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information