Bioluminescent/chemiluminescent materials for lume?

Thread: Bioluminescent/chemiluminescent materials for lume?

v76

Bioluminescent/chemiluminescent materials for lume?

I know that there is a lot of research currently (and in the past) on the properties of bioluminescent materials such as "Firefly Luciferase", but has anyone explored its use in tubes/vials/paints for watch lume? Might be an interesting area to explore for watch companies ... of course, it might not be very cost effective (then, fat chance!).
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Suspended

Re: Bioluminescent/chemiluminescent materials for lume?

I seem to remember those types of materials are not regenerative. Kinda like the glow sticks kids play with.

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    I know that there is a lot of research currently (and in the past) on the properties of bioluminescent materials such as "Firefly Luciferase", but has anyone explored its use in tubes/vials/paints for watch lume? Might be an interesting area to explore for watch companies ... of course, it might not be very cost effective (then, fat chance!).
    Luciferase is an enzyme, and needs both an energy source (ATP) and a substrate to act on (in this case, a chemical compound called luciferin) to generate light. Neither can be stably immobilized for long periods of time. Luciferase reactions in the laboratory can run for seconds to minutes, not much longer.

The beauty of phosphorescent pigments like superluminova is that they are "charged" by incident light (visible and UV) and then they re-emit this light over a long period of time, relatively long at least.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

v76

Aren't there some bacteria, other micro-organisms, fungi, etc. that exhibit sustained bioluminescence?
    Collection:

Aren't there some bacteria, other micro-organisms, fungi, etc. that exhibit sustained bioluminescence?
    Yes, but as stated above in an indirect way, these organisms need to eat. Now a watch that would eat .... in order to glow...now were talkin!

v76

Quote Originally Posted by OldBaldCheater View Post
    Yes, but as stated above in an indirect way, these organisms need to eat. Now a watch that would eat .... in order to glow...now were talkin!
    I know ... have a basic idea of how that works (from a bit of reading), just was a little snarky in the last post ... maybe the newly developed material can eat some photons? Ah, we're back to photo-luminescent materials again
    Collection:

Banned

I want no bacteria in my watch!!!!!!

I know ... have a basic idea of how that works (from a bit of reading), just was a little snarky in the last post ... maybe the newly developed material can eat some photons? Ah, we're back to photo-luminescent materials again
    Precisely!

Suspended

We have a saying in my business that goes..."just because you can doesn't mean you should."

Thread Information