Birks Airmaster - Opinions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By somniloquist

Thread: Birks Airmaster - Opinions

Birks Airmaster - Opinions

I really like this watch I saw at a local Birks store

Here's a Link to it. BIRKS AIRMASTER™ Collection, Chronograph Stainless Steel and 18kt Rose Gold Watch, wi... | Birks

It's retailing for around 1400US/CAN. Searching on the forums I found that the watch has a Ronda 4220b movement (I dunno)

Am I getting ripped off here? Apparenlty, the ETA quartz movements are better. On the plus side, Birks promised to replace the battery for free for the lifetime of the watch. Hooray!

Just like to get an expert opinion on this piece and whether I can find a black face chrono with a solid quartz movement or even better a good automatic movement for cheaper or the same price.

I've searched on Jomashop and the only thing that comes close to the look are some Maurice Lacroix's, Longines' and a Raymond Weil or two. But factoring in customs and taxes, they go for 3-4K, which is beyond my price range. Also, when I look for these watches locally, they're very hard to find and are priced around the 3-4K range anyways. TAG and Omegas are beyond me as well.

Your help is much appreciated.

Re: Birks Airmaster - Opinions

I suggest stainless steel over rose gold case. Assuming you do not mind automatic movement you can find Hamilton Jazzmaster for around your budget.

This is just my personal opinion, but for that kind of money, you can do much better. Are you willing to consider a used watch? $1350 for a white label quartz watch seems pretty high, even in Canada where such things cost more.

Also, if you ever choose to sell your watch, I think you would take a significant hit with a Birks watch, rather than say a Hamilton or Seiko in a similar price bracket.

My suggestion for pilot-type watches is to take a look at brands like Sinn, Damasko or Stowa. You should be able to find a very nice new Stowa well within $1350 CAD.

Best of luck with whatever you choose!
    seoulseeker likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Listen to this cat, he's spot on. Although a fan of Birks and I do like some of their watch designs I have to say at that price point you can acquire so much better out there.

Peace,
    Preston

Quote Originally Posted by somniloquist View Post
    This is just my personal opinion, but for that kind of money, you can do much better. Are you willing to consider a used watch? $1350 for a white label quartz watch seems pretty high, even in Canada where such things cost more.

Also, if you ever choose to sell your watch, I think you would take a significant hit with a Birks watch, rather than say a Hamilton or Seiko in a similar price bracket.

My suggestion for pilot-type watches is to take a look at brands like Sinn, Damasko or Stowa. You should be able to find a very nice new Stowa well within $1350 CAD.

Best of luck with whatever you choose!
    Omega, Tissot, Panerai, G-Shock, Timex, Swiss Army watch fan

You might just be getting into automatic chronos at that point, but you can certainly find a much better quartz chrono for less.

That price would even get you a Citizen Signature Grand Complication (BZ0006-02E, there's several other variations):
    Name:  BZ0006-02E_MSRP_1125_US__86967_zoom.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  236.5 KB

Or the other Citizen Signature Chrono (BL5445-51H, which looks MUCH better in person because of the way light diffracts off the dial):
    Name:  BL5446-51H_MSRP_975_US__64626_zoom.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  698.7 KB

Or maybe a Seiko Premier (SNP036P1, and oops, I just noticed that this model isn't a chronograph...):
    Name:  Seiko-Premier-SNP036P1-watch.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  85.0 KB

These are all self-powered quartz, and won't need battery changes or servicing for a very, very long time. The Citizens, probably 15 years, the Seiko kinetic probably a little less.
    Last edited by Andrew McGregor; September 5th, 2012 at 08:57. Reason: Oops...

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

For this price I'd look elsewhere.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

As others have mentioned, a Birks watch won't really hold as much resale value and isn't the highest quality watch you can purchase for $1,400. If grey market or pre-owned is an option, Longines has some nice offerings, otherwise Stowa and Hamilton are also great choices. For this style of watch, I'd go with one of those three.
    Shearwater Research Teric --- Casio G-Shock Solar Frogman (GW-200Z) --- Citizen Promaster Titanium Aqualand (JV0051-60E) --- Seiko Prospex Solar Diver (SBDN003) --- Certina DS Action Diver Chronograph (C013.427.11.041.00) --- Rolex Submariner (114060) --- Grand Seiko Spring Drive Diver (SBGA229G) --- Tudor Hydronaut II (20030-93570) --- Longines Heritage Pocket Watch (L7.012.4.21.1)

Thanks for the input everyone. Even though it's a pretty watch, I'm going to look elsewhere.

Well I'm about six month's late but had I seen this in September I wouldn't have discouraged you from buying the Airmaster at that price. The Airmaster's a beautiful watch, uber-elegant, manufactured by Birk's with a nice Rhonda movement. Birk's after sales service is second to none. You get what you pay for and in a quartz, you can't do better than an Airmaster.
    Only a loafer can always tell you what the correct time is.

Thread Information