Birthday Watch Need Advice $10k Budget
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Birthday Watch Need Advice $10k Budget

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Birthday Watch Need Advice $10k Budget

I am looking to get myself a new watch for my birthday. I haven't bought a watch (an expensive one anyway) in over 10 years (Last one was a Rolex Sub) so I need to make this one count as I don't do it often. My budget is $10k. I want something that is going to be timeless and not look out of date in 10 years. I don't have a big wrist so it needs to not be huge.

Right now I am considering the following.

Breguet Marine:
    Name:  Marin-5817.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  151.3 KB
    JLC Master Control Moon:

GO PanomaticLunar:

VC Overseas:

The Breguet is my favorite but it's also the most expensive and the current version is the oldest of the three watches. The JLC is the most timeless, although it does feel like it's quite large for the style. I foolishly tried on similar watches from Patek and ALS and they were smaller and looked more right than the JLC. I have been wanting the GO for a few years now but someone told me it was a knock off of an ALS. Lastly, the new Overseas. I haven't tried this one on but I have never been a fan of the Overseas, however the new version is better looking.

Are there other watches I should consider? I haven't been keeping up with the latest watches at all. I would like to get something that is reasonably well priced for what you get. The work that is done in-house the better.

Re: Birthday Watch Need Advice $10k Budget

No Reverso? The Reverso Duo is going to be right in your price range and you get two watches for the price of one :)

Name:  JLC-reverso-duo-11.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  96.2 KB

FWIW I think its unfair to call the GO a knock off, they have similar design themes and language but they are quite different in execution, complications, and look. I wouldn't take it out of the running just yet. IMO the VC Overseas is nothing special and way overpriced for a fairly simple looking watch.

I love the Breguet for design in concept, but its not the most practical of the bunch, the lugs are long and the design is a tad confusing, it looks odd with a suit and too dressy for jeans, a bit confusing IMO.
    commanche likes this.

I'd go with the GOPML given those choices.
    UberDave likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

GO PanomaticLunar = The best under 10k Dress watch. Alange Style for Rolex cost !!!

By the way, if you do not mind you, the best thing I can suggest is Patek Calatrava 3919, It is the most gorgeous dress watch I have ever seen, especially the bezel !

I like the Reverso. I am not sure I have tried the Duo on...some of the Reversos I recall were a bit tall for my liking.

I think the Breguet can be worn with jeans or a suit just fine...it's a sports watch and they details and finish quality are nicer in my opinion than the other watches I listed.

Any other recommendations. I am open to dress watches as well. I don't really have any in my very small collection.

What about this small ALS? I like manual wind watches...though I do like to have a date.

Last edited by KlausD; March 28th, 2016 at 06:44.

To me Breguet would be my choice. Truly a classy choice. Otherwise, a JLC reverso.
    Ω Omega Seamaster NOS Soccer Timer 145.019
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay Blue 79220B
    TAG Heuer Aquaracer
    WAN2111.BA0822
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage OVM Military Maxi LE #274/300
    Seiko Prospex Monster SRP581

The Hit-List: Omega Ploprof 1200m, JLC Reverso, Breguet La Tradition, IWC Aquatimer, Rolex 'Hulk' Sub, TAG Heuer Aquagraph

Seems like you want the Breguet - go for it. The GO is very nice too, and they have a new blue dial as well.

No brainer, at least for me, the stainless Daytona with the El Primero movement, so it would have to be used. It's timeless.
    Last edited by choppit; March 28th, 2016 at 07:26.

JLC MUT Moon by a mile. It's thin, classy, the perfect size at 39mm (you mentioned your average/small wrist), and just a classic. The GO is really nice as well, but at 42mm and a relatively thick case (well, not to all of you Grand Seikoers out there, but I digress), it's pretty large, and certainly the most eye-catching of the bunch (a positive or negative, depending on wearer). That Breguet is giving me a headache to look at. I just think it's a mess. I guess I understand what they were trying to do, combine new and old, create a sports watch that still pays respect to the traditions of Breguet, but c'mon. Those square numeral cutouts in the middle of a dial intercept a number of circular numeral tracks, and the juxtaposition of the blued applied numerals on a silvered dial, and the black date numerals painted on white date wheels, the strap, the weak lume...my, my, my. Just not my thing. I believe that it looks better in person, because I never really loved Breguet until I handled them, but even with Breguet's detailing, I'm not sure what to make of this watch. Breguet does classic, and they do it well. I would stick to that. Oh, and the Vacheron leaves me flat.

Okay, that's it. Good luck in your search. A nice problem to have, indeed.
    google likes this.

How about a SubC?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information