The black & white of a simple two watch collection
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: The black & white of a simple two watch collection

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The black & white of a simple two watch collection

*** Originally posted in response to a question posed in Grand Seiko forum as to "What is the "better" toolwatch, the Marinemaster 300 or the Grand Seiko 9f quartz ***

After two consecutive weeks plus of complete fidelity to my newly acquired MM300,I still believe I will keep the SBGX259 Grand Seiko 9F quartz mostly for the yin yang effect and the fact that I also own the OEM GS crocodile strap with GS deployant to dress it up significantly. As a two watch collection I believe these offer exactly what I would like to have for a good amount of variety, accuracy, style, and function. The 9F Grand Seiko varies less than 1 second a month and is very slim and comfortable while the MM300 is a dynamic and bold statement icon in the world of dive watches. The Marinemaster is quite a strap monster and looks very nice on NATO, Zulu, Rubber, leather, and OEM bracelet; each giving it a unique look and versatility. The indices of the GS quartz are so finely finished that they glisten like jewels in even low light situations. I am not afraid to put my "history" of scratches, dings, or blemishes on either watch and do not treat them with any extra safety choosing to wear them at work, home, or play.

I'm not a collector but as many of you I became an accidental collector of sorts as my tastes changed over the course of the last 5 years. Of course my tastes could change in the future but I am going to give it a serious go at simply enjoying these two completely different wristwatches hopefully for the remainder of 2019 and into the future. The only thing that might make me do something different is if I find that I favor one of these over the other so greatly that it becomes my 24-7 365 one watch. That is always a possibility but for now I like the idea of keeping them both.
    Name:  imageedit_567_8099940247.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  142.5 KBName:  imageedit_489_8034746587.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  165.7 KBName:  IMG_0444.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  2.17 MB

Mike

Re: The black & white of a simple two watch collection

It's an odd feeling to be satisfied with a one-two punch like you have there. I remember a few years ago when I disappeared from Watch U Seek. I had been wearing my Sinn EZM 10 nearly every day, and wearing either my Cartier Roadster or vintage Omega Geneve for the few times my wrist needed to look more respectable with a suit. I simply had no interest in other watches.
    Do you plan to stick around WUS? Or is this your unofficial "sign-off?"
    Heljestrand, Rosarito and MrCairo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
    It's an odd feeling to be satisfied with a one-two punch like you have there. I remember a few years ago when I disappeared from Watch U Seek. I had been wearing my Sinn EZM 10 nearly every day, and wearing either my Cartier Roadster or vintage Omega Geneve for the few times my wrist needed to look more respectable with a suit. I simply had no interest in other watches.
    Do you plan to stick around WUS? Or is this your unofficial "sign-off?"
    Oh no, I enjoy reading about watches and the interaction and discussion of them. WUS is a great place to learn and enjoy the interaction with others but agree it can create accidental collectors!
    Time Exposure likes this.

Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great 1-2 punch. Just reading the thread title, I thought to myself, I'd want the black dial to be a complete tool watch, probably a diver, and the white dial to be dressier, maybe a Grand Seiko.
    Heljestrand and Rosarito like this.

I almost think I'd be more content if I was limited to a two watch collection.
    Heljestrand and jatherly like this.

Love it.

To be honest, I think I’m the same. Not really a collector, but I just like watches. I wear my Speedy and Explorer 2 polar all the time as a one-two.
    Heljestrand likes this.

This man gets it. Geeze, I have to get around to selling some of mine.
    Heljestrand likes this.

Good for you! I know from some of your past posts that you have been looking to simplify. I hope it works out, and may I get there myself some day.
    Heljestrand likes this.

Not there yet sir! But I love those two watches you have, and your perspective.

Good post on the perfect yin & yang collection. Right now I keep a similar starting lineup: dress watch with a white dial and an ocean blue Seiko diver. A few others but probably will not grow the collection too much.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information