Blocking Serial Numbers on Watches
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ray MacDonald

Thread: Blocking Serial Numbers on Watches

Blocking Serial Numbers on Watches

When pics are posted why do ppl feel the need to block out the serial numbers on their watches?

Re: Blocking Serial Numbers on Watches

Scammer or faker could use a legitimate serial number for nefarious purposes.
    lvt likes this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Some people also prefer to remain as anonymous as possible. It may be a legitimate concern or simply paranoia but some are worried that a registered serial number could also be used to find the address of the owner therefore placing the owner in danger of robbery\burglary.

Personally I find this pretty unlikely but the concern is out there.

RS

Follow Me

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Imagine someone calling the authorities and claiming that someone stole your watch from them.

Quote Originally Posted by napel View Post
    Imagine someone calling the authorities and claiming that someone stole your watch from them.
    That's one that I had not thought of. Good call.

RS

Follow Me

Quote Originally Posted by napel View Post
    I would think they would need to provide some type of evidence that they own the watch in question if it's in someone else's possession, but who knows.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

I know that my perspective is quite a bit different considering what I collect, but most of the collectors I deal with freely share full serial numbers even on watches that aren't for sale.

I know I generally share them freely, and have benefited from other collectors sharing their serial numbers with me. I know of a couple of collectors-many of them respected researchers on certain companies-who will walk around mart rooms at NAWCC regionals with their notebooks and write down serial numbers and notes on any watch that's out on the table. I'm happy to cooperate with this, and in fact at the last one pulled out half a dozen watches that weren't for sale to show to a person doing this.

About the only exception I make to my freely sharing numbers is a "blacklist" of a few folks with whom I won't share numbers of certain types of watches for various reasons(mostly due to their attitude).

So, I guess that to me, the concept of hiding serial numbers is foreign to me.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

You read the same concerns on firearms forums. And some of the same reasons. Even one association magazine who publishes research on vintage firearms blocks the last three numbers with X's.

Maybe better safe than sorry. It would be difficult to prove in an scheme to defraud, a purchase receipt or documentation has always been needed for police or insurance simply because there were scams long before the internet.

Thread Information