Bombfrog = China?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bombfrog = China?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2

    Bombfrog = China?

    Ahoy-hoy!

    A new watch collector here. Question for those in the know: I really, really like the looks of the Bombfrog BT25. I was thinking of purchasing, but the watch elitists at the office dismissed it, claiming it's Made in China. Is this true? I thought it was made in Germany.

    Help a novice out!

    Thanks!

    JJ

  2. #2
    Member Skeptical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Saratoga County, NY
    Posts
    3,285

    Re: Bombfrog = China?

    It's a German company, using Japanese movements, but I believe the case and final assembly are Chinese. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Nothing unusual with microbrands.

  3. #3
    Member ilitig8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    9,009

    Re: Bombfrog = China?

    Quote Originally Posted by James Joyce View Post
    Yeouch. Well that's not good news. Typically, and sadly, "Made in China" usually means, um, not high quality. I've seen some glowing reviews of this piece on these forums. Have I missed something?
    You are missing the whole of China's manufacturing ability. They can make anything at ALMOST any quality level a company specs. They just have to be ready to pay and ready to oversee the QC. Although it is contentious a LOT more of the "luxury" brands parts get produced in China that most are willing to admit, especially when they just spent $5K+ on a "Swiss" watch. Spend some time googling what it takes for a watch to be "Swiss Made", though hopefully those regulations will tighten up soon. BTW the watch elitists in your office probably have some Chinese content in their watches unless they only own true Haute Horology pieces (almost all of those cost more than the average car) or own nothing but vintage watches.
    Last edited by ilitig8; October 16th, 2013 at 05:15.
    John MS likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Likestheshiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,462

    Re: Bombfrog = China?

    Yeouch. Well that's not good news. Typically, and sadly, "Made in China" usually means, um, not high quality. I've seen some glowing reviews of this piece on these forums. Have I missed something?
    You realize that almost all high-end consumer electronics come from China, right...? A good chunk of expensive clothes do, too. It's easier to list the things that aren't made in China.

    I mean, iPhones have plenty of critics, but lots of people still seem to think they're worth waiting in line for.
    John MS likes this.

  6. #5
    Member drickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Baltimore MD
    Posts
    4,530

    Re: Bombfrog = China?

    The jellyfish is 43mm 316 steel and 22mm lugs.... The Bombfrog is 44mm, 904steel, and 24mm lugs. Different watches altogether.

    But it's a $400 watch with a nice solid movement. I own one and am happy with it. The watch snobs in your office probably know Tag and Rolex and maybe Omega and Breitling. I wouldn't worry about them too much.

    But...if you want a similar look in a "Swiss" watch check out the Victorinox Divemaster 500. They make both a quartz and a mecha in PVD.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Dan

    Not entirely sure what I'm collecting anymore....

    NS-13




  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,806

    Re: Bombfrog = China?

    Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    You are missing the whole of China's manufacturing ability. They can make anything at ALMOST any quality level a company specs. They just have to be ready to pay and ready to oversee the QC. Although it is contentious a LOT more of the "luxury" brands parts get produced in China that most are willing to admit, especially when they just spent $5K+ on a "Swiss" watch. Spend some time googling what it takes for a watch to be "Swiss Made", though hopefully those regulations will tighten up soon. BTW the watch elitists in your office probably have some Chinese content in their watches unless they only own true Haute Horology pieces (almost all of those cost more than the average car) or own nothing but vintage watches.
    Yup, there are a lot more Chinese made Rolexes than there are Swiss made Rolexes.

  8. #7
    Member Skeptical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Saratoga County, NY
    Posts
    3,285

    Re: Bombfrog = China?

    I don't know about the BT25, but the forthcoming Bombfrog Minesweeper is the one that uses the same case as the Jellyfish. I will say there's a big difference between wholly Chinese watches like Parnis or Alpha and boutique brands with parts and/or assembly in China. I've owned Armida and Helson watches that ship directly from China, and their QC is excellent.

  9. #8
    Member shameless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    manchester uk
    Posts
    4,344

    Re: Bombfrog = China?

    they make really good stuff actually !Name:  miso_cute_wall_clock.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  45.2 KB

  10. #9
    Member loiidol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    874

    Re: Bombfrog = China?

    Quote Originally Posted by James Joyce View Post
    Ahoy-hoy!

    A new watch collector here. Question for those in the know: I really, really like the looks of the Bombfrog BT25. I was thinking of purchasing, but the watch elitists at the office dismissed it, claiming it's Made in China. Is this true? I thought it was made in Germany.

    Help a novice out!

    Thanks!

    JJ
    Hey James. Pretty new here too, but I doubt any german company would call themselves bombfrog. But I am not too sure either. Maybe it's better to listen to the elitists on this one, and let them ( or the people on this forum) recommend you a watch for your budget and tastes.
    However, made in China doesn't mean its bad. Look to sea-gull and Beijing watch co

    Edit: I WAS wrong. Bombfrog does use Japanese movements and the particular model you are eyeing houses a Seiko NH15. (Some guy reviewed this watch a while back on WUS)

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Last edited by loiidol; October 16th, 2013 at 12:17.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,997

    Re: Bombfrog = China?

    Quote Originally Posted by loiidol View Post
    Hey James. Pretty new here too, but I doubt any german company would call themselves bombfrog. Maybe it's better to listen to the elitists on this one, and let them ( or the people on this forum) recommend you a watch for your budget and tastes

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Right on . Better listen to us Merc driving elitists. "Bombfrog" is obviously a two fingered salute to anyone who buys one. With a Japanese movement and a Chinese case, what is German about it other than the PR?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •