Border Duties

Can anybody advise on the duty that I, as
    recipient, would have to pay if I buy a
    watch from the U.S. and have it shipped to
    me, a resident of Ontario, Canada ?
    Thanks in advance.
    :thanks

Re: Border Duties

Might want to call Customs & Excise (or whatever it's called these days) down on Front Street. The info I have might be way out of date.

My understanding (I have not actually purchased a watch in the US and had it shipped) is that you will have to pay the brokerage fee (determined by the shipper or broker), PST, GST and duty of 5% if the watch is not made in North America.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That much, eh ?
    Quite the scam if you ask me.
    I may ask the 'in-laws' in the U.S. to accept delivery and have them bring it at Christmas

Trust me man, it is not worth it at all to try and order anything online from the US and have it shipped here.

At very least they'll make you pay GST and PST on anything. Then, depending on various circumstances they might add duty fees to it which can very often be as much as 25-30% of the total cost.

Plus, it's certainly not rare for pretty simple items to be held up by customs for inspection and assessment for a month or more. Customs is a disorganized mess, don't bother calling them and expecting any kind of accurate information.

Have someone bring it to you for sure if you can. My father works in Arkansas and so I've ordered a watch to his address there and had him bring it home when he visited. Watches are certainly way, way, way cheaper south of the border. At the Bay they want $349.99 for a Seiko Orange Monster if you can believe it.

Thanks for the insight and help on the above.
    Very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by aceproceed View Post
    Trust me man, it is not worth it at all to try and order anything online from the US and have it shipped here.

At very least they'll make you pay GST and PST on anything. Then, depending on various circumstances they might add duty fees to it which can very often be as much as 25-30% of the total cost.
    The duty is only 5% (the amount the goverment takes, and as I said above my understanding is that it is only on watches made outside North America, which I assume would be anything you plan to buy). Where they get you is on the broker fees. They are all over the map and really add up if you are buying something small because the fee isn't a percentage of value. I once got a broker fee from UPS that exceeded the price of the product. Never ship UPS. The US Postal Service is the best, the broker fee is a lot of times nothing, sometimes as low as $5. Of the courier companies UPS is the worst. In my experience, FedEx is the best, but they are still high enough ($15 to $30) to make small purchases not worth the cost.

For an expensive watch with a good discount, it may still be worth it. Remember you would have to pay PST and GST here anyway, so it is only the duty (5%) and the broker fees (figure max $50) that you have to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by InvictusAlpha View Post
    The duty is only 5% (the amount the goverment takes, and as I said above my understanding is that it is only on watches made outside North America, which I assume would be anything you plan to buy). Where they get you is on the broker fees. They are all over the map and really add up if you are buying something small because the fee isn't a percentage of value. I once got a broker fee from UPS that exceeded the price of the product. Never ship UPS. The US Postal Service is the best, the broker fee is a lot of times nothing, sometimes as low as $5. Of the courier companies UPS is the worst. In my experience, FedEx is the best, but they are still high enough ($15 to $30) to make small purchases not worth the cost.

For an expensive watch with a good discount, it may still be worth it. Remember you would have to pay PST and GST here anyway, so it is only the duty (5%) and the broker fees (figure max $50) that you have to pay.
    Yes, that's probably what I'm thinking of when I say duty is brokerage fees.

I mean, all in all it's not necessarily going to be trouble when ordering across the border, but the one undeniable fact is that it is extremely hit or miss. Some people have their packages sail through without a problem, and other get charges tacked on, held up for long periods of time, etc. etc. And that's also something we didn't mention which is the often steep international shipping fees. When you order pretty much anything that isn't massive in size/weight within Canada and it costs over $100 you should be getting free shipping. You'll never get it with international orders.

Overall, unless it's a steep discount, it isn't worth the potential hardship.

He said he has inlaws which can bring things to him eventually, I think that is certainly the best route for anyone who wants to get something, have a friend or family member who goes to the USA regularly or lives there bring you the desired item. I'm very lucky in that regard. Price differences on everything from watches to cars to sports supplements are unthinkable. We get really taken advantage of up here it seems.

I'm looking at buying an Omega Seamaster 300M value about $2,000 (from the recommended AD of this site) and was curious to see what my 'additional' charges would be delivered to my door.
    My previous shipping experiences are varied - I once had a soccer jersey ($80 value) sent from the U.K. and it arrived at my door via UPS. They charged me around $26 for the privilege. What's more annoying was that I gave the guy $30 and he 'said' he had no change (I 'm sure !!)
    I've had contact lenses shipped ($200 worth) from the states and I picked them up at Canada Post with no charge at all.
    I used to get car parts shipped from a Mitsubishi dealer in Florida, they marked them as 'warranty replacements' and there were no extra charges.
    I'd gladly give the business locally but, the AD's for Omega offer no flexibility on prices.

Thread Information