Boring sub clones
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Boring sub clones

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Boring sub clones

Anyone else find the proliferation of sub clones, copies, homages, whatever, to be boring and passé. I certainly do. Regards
    hantms likes this.

Re: Boring sub clones

This post will probably start a 35 page thread-war so I will try to strike some middle-ground before that happens, LOL. I certainly didn't use to think of them the way the OP describes them having bought two of them myself. Because of that, I am not judgmental about them and I still definitely respect and understand people that like to buy and wear them. However, I ended up flipping both of the ones I had because something just didn't feel right about them. This might sound shallow but one time some guy next to me at a bar said "nice Rolex" (it was a Steinhart Pepsi GMT) and I explained that it was not a Rolex and he said (without meaning to be rude) "boy it sure looks like one". Then another time I was wearing my Davosa Ternos blue ceramic bezel sub-homage and was at a fast-paced job where I didn't really have any time to chat with customers and this older guy (probably wasn't wearing his eyeglasses) said "wow, nice watch, what are they paying you here?!" probably thinking it was a white gold Rolex Sub. That time, I just replied "thanks" and the guy walked away. Now I won't say that those two remarks made me want to flip them, but it did start an internal debate in my mind that did result in my flipping them a few months later. And I will say, they were both excellent, high quality watches with Swiss ETA movements and great fit and finish and water resistance and most importantly, an excellent value.
    brandon\ likes this.

Homage.

Homage.

Homage.

(It's the WIS version of Candyman)
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes. But everyone should wear what they like. Other people may or may not appreciate what I like. Additionally, taste in watches can change over time. Some who seek Sub homages today, might be interested in something very different several years later. I think that Sub homages can be a gateway into the hobby or a starting point for some...
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Yeah this tendecy is not new and will probably never fade.
    The Sub is an iconic design, so when I see companies with a strong brand identity like Ice Watch borrowing some designs elements I guess it falls under the hommage category and doesn't bother me.
    It's a Pop icon, and as the Coca Cola or Mac Donald's logo it will get copied, changed, parodied etc.

But when a unknown microbrand launches a model pretty much identic to the sub, with so few variation that it can pass as a Sub for a untrained eye, it start to get dishonest in my book.
    I understand that a 300usd Steinhart is not taking any business away from Rolex, as the people buying it probably don't have the kind of cash, or don't want to spend it on a watch anyway. Yet I get the feeling that it acts as a clandestine passenger. If this watch didn't look like a Rolex would people buy it? Probably not and that's the problem to me.

If you cannot afford, or don't want to buy a Rolex? Okay, seems fair to me! But why get an identical watch and not something that has its own identity. there's plenty of awesome bang for bug in any price bracket these "hommage" are.
    Steinhart? get a Sumo or a Mako
    MKII? get a Tudor or a Damasko
    hantms, Ahriman4891 and mleok like this.

I don't care. Also there is nothing like a topic that hasn't been flogged like a dead horse. Neigh.
    Last edited by eblackmo; March 22nd, 2016 at 09:05.
    Benzinger .. Dornblueth & Sohn .. Grand Seiko .. Sinn .. Laco .. Schaumburg .. Hamilton .. Tissot

I don't pay attention to things I find boring and passé.

Are sub clones proliferating? I'm not so sure they're any more prevalent now then they were 5 years ago, 10 years ago, or 20 years because I'm not keeping track. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.
    My Watch Pics (IG) ---> CLICK HERE
    Sales Forum Feedback History ---> CLICK HERE

Boring sub clones

I would not have any problems with wearing a homage piece regardless of what others might think as long as it fits well and have a sense of representing an iconic piece the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't find them any more or less boring than the designs that they copy.

i have a 14060m, but would love to have a mil sub homage with domed crystal, sword hands, red letters, no crown guard, and no applied markers. that would be amazing.
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information